Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spreading Moss  (Read 586 times)

Ghosthound

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Spreading Moss
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:42:44 pm »

Hello,

I am having trouble understanding the mechanics of spreading moss and other underground floor based fungus around my fortress. I have breached the cavern layers, and have a large area filled with mud, but only trees and shrubs will grow there.

There is another area which contains loam, in which the moss has spread like wildfire. Is there something I'm doing wrong? as far as I could tell, shouldn't it also spread to the mud?

Additionally, I'm not sure if this would be client specific or whatever, but I would really like to change the color of the mud. As it appears, it's pretty red, and I'm not too fond of it (part of my desire to spread the moss comes from this). I understand the color folder in the init files exists, and I've changed the red that appears there to be brown, but that doesn't affect the mud. Is there another way I could do this?

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spreading Moss
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 09:07:30 pm »

If you are getting NO moss then maybe there isn't any moss in the cave?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:14:56 pm »

Mud covers up moss. If you loo(k) at the mud you will probably see that there is moss growing on it that isn't showing up.

If you just want to remove the mud you can build a road on top of it and then deconstruct the road.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Ghosthound

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:22:57 pm »

Aha, that seemed to do the trick. Thanks :)

Will the moss survive if the mud is removed?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:28:54 pm »

I doubt the moss will survive without the mud unless there is soil under it. Also, the default mud colour is very much brown. Are you using any mods which could change the colour? If you are that would explain why editing the color file didn't work, you were modifying the wrong colour.
                        - Random human lord

Ghosthound

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:31:16 pm »

I am using something called Fantastic-DF, I don't really know what that entails. My friend gave me the whole set of files when I started playing.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 09:39:39 pm »

I've never heard of that particular mod but it probably is using modified colours. You need to change the colour values for brown if you want to change how mud looks. Here are the default values in vanilla:

[BROWN_R:128]
[BROWN_G:128]
[BROWN_B:0]
                        - Random human lord

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 10:42:46 pm »

You need to change the colour values for brown if you want to change how mud looks. Here are the default values in vanilla:

[BROWN_R:128]
[BROWN_G:128]
[BROWN_B:0]

Actually, mud uses the "BROWN" color defined in descriptor_color.txt, so you can change its RGB values there to make DF pick a closer color (it'll choose whichever of the 16 base colors is closest).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 11:03:51 pm »

Aha, that seemed to do the trick. Thanks :)

Will the moss survive if the mud is removed?

Building the road should kill the moss directly, I believe. If you want soil we may still have a bug in which a tree growing on muddy stone and then being cut down results in a random soil being placed there.