Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Curious About the compatibility for MDF to DF v40.0  (Read 2829 times)

mageprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Curious About the compatibility for MDF to DF v40.0
« on: August 18, 2014, 06:09:22 pm »

Just a quick question does anyone here know if meph (or anyone at all) is going to update the dwarf fortress version of masterwork to V40 yet or are we on the wait for a while ... If there is a wait does anyone know of the compatibility of MDF to the new DF version files?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Curious About the compatibility for MDF to DF v40.0
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »

At the very least you would have to change all of the creatures to the new gait system and rework all of the trees. There are also new attack prepare and recover speeds to be applied to every weapon attack and creature attack.

Even then you would have to go without some DFHack features until DFHack and all of the relevant DFHack scripts have been updated. There is a version of DFHack compatible with version 40.08, though I don't follow DFHack much so I'm unsure of what has been updated and what hasn't.

There's also other stuff such as adding plant growths, giving some creatures low-light vision and vision arcs, and possibly changing how some reactions work with the new item reaction product tag.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 06:44:33 pm »

A lot of the DFHack scripts in Masterwork apparently haven't been maintained for a long time, and .40 has changed a lot of stuff that probably broke a large number of them.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:03:20 pm »

I honestly don't like new DF. Adventure mode is a lot more confusing and the multi z-level trees are an absolute eye-sore, imho. Of course, I may need to give it more of a chance

mageprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:29:02 pm »

@BlackFlyme Well thank you im hoping meph gets to it eventually

@Sam
Oh so it sounds like its not very compatable at all
@Ben
Meh im just hoping i get a masterwork version of 40.08 that i can gen a world in

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:48:04 pm »

The only thing that scares me about masterwork being in 40.X is that the history gen will continue after you make a fort and with so many civs, i'm afraid it's going to lag too much, and that the civs that usually die out will die out before they can make their first seige even though you made sure that they survived world gen.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:19:20 pm »

Something worth noting: DFHack has been updated, and happily most of the internal data structures have remained the same.  Seems Toady prefers to add new variables or reuse old ones rather than delete data structures outright.  Some code may need tweaking (the creature spawning scripts will probably be the most difficult to fix, since creatures now have many new variables that need to be set) but we probably aren't looking at a full rewrite for the most part.

The only thing that scares me about masterwork being in 40.X is that the history gen will continue after you make a fort and with so many civs, i'm afraid it's going to lag too much, and that the civs that usually die out will die out before they can make their first seige even though you made sure that they survived world gen.

This shouldn't be a problem.  I have a mod with 20+ different civs and they all seem to get along as well as they used to.  Lag isn't a problem either, I doubt that civs are updated on a regular basis so it shouldn't matter.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:45:39 pm »

I'm eagerly awaiting a 40.x version of Masterwork as well.  I like the new features a lot, but vanilla is lacking in overall content compared to MW.  I'm basically waiting for it before starting a new fort.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 12:10:23 am »

I'm eagerly awaiting a 40.x version of Masterwork as well.  I like the new features a lot, but vanilla is lacking in overall content compared to MW.  I'm basically waiting for it before starting a new fort.
Then you'll be waiting months. The process of porting it over will take months on it's own (as Meph said somewhere), and that can't even start until .40.x is done and stable.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 03:01:16 am »

Lets say that sometime in September should be realistic, if and only if, spawnunit and autosyndrome get ported. And I expect many dfhack related bugs for a few versions.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mageprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 06:12:27 am »

@Indigo+Meph
YAY most wonderous news indeed!

@Mosey
just hope Toady works on the optimizations sooner then later then eh? i still dream of a multi-threaded DF!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 08:38:57 am »

The question for me now is about timing. I'd rather update once instead of once every few days while Toady still churns out more bugfix updates. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 09:47:56 am »

Then you'll be waiting months. The process of porting it over will take months on it's own (as Meph said somewhere), and that can't even start until .40.x is done and stable.

Looks like you're wrong :)

About a month is great news, especially since I take months-long breaks from DF as it is.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 10:07:54 am »

To be fair, it's about a month IF toady has officially finished his fixes and DFHack is up to date completely.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 11:51:41 am »

Looks like you're wrong :)

Hey, there's a first time for everything  8)
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
Pages: [1] 2