Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51]

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116757 times)

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!
« Reply #750 on: June 25, 2024, 10:25:08 am »

I made the mistake of overexpanding my city too fast. I wanted more squares to zone for additional housing and workplaces, but I think I built too many roads. This caused a pretty bad deficit for my city budget. It took me a while to figure out a solution, but I think setting the fire department budget to 50% should work out.

My current plan of action is to layoff on building more roads and wait for my citizens to get more educated. I think I read on the cities skylines paradox wiki that citizen education will contribute to an increase of building level. With higher building level, I think I should get more taxes.

Hopefully once I get more revenue I can return to 100% for the fire department so I can get its bonus back again.
The budget setting also has an impact on the leveling up of buildings near the services. A reduced budget for a needed service may weaken the service coverage sufficiently to prevent buildings from leveling up.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 25, 2024, 07:14:36 pm »

Ooh, that's a bit of a necro. I kind of forgot about this game.

Last I played must have been 2020? I still remember that city I made, started off as usual but then I made a new city hub using hexagons. Built quite a nice high density city centre that was definitely not designed by bees.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 25, 2024, 07:17:05 pm »

I think about this game from time to time, and I'm disappointed that Cities: Skylines 2 is evidently pretty bad.

I couldn't get into this one quite as much as the Sim City series for some reason, but I did enjoy it for a while.  Don't really remember much about the cities I made, but I do remember also going overboard with planning roads and paying the price in maintenance costs.  I didn't want to have to come back and redo things since I hadn't laid things out perfectly, but building tons of roads has costs.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 25, 2024, 10:31:59 pm »

I believe the solution to road costs is to make sure you have fully developed the road network that you have, then increase taxes until growth stagnates.

The problem with Cities: Skylines versus SimCity is that Cities: Skylines has more artificial rails locking the player out of features, in my opinion.  It's easier to "goof off" in the SimCity series.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 25, 2024, 11:50:35 pm »

Yeah, I remember as a kid I could not figure out how to get a balanced budget in Sim City 2000 for some reason and would inevitably tank my city within a few game years from the start by overbuilding stuff that had maintenance costs.  In Sim City 3000 it was easy to do the same thing.  You didn't have to start with police coverage, fire coverage, hospitals, etc, but I always felt like the city was lacking important basic infrastructure without them so I'd build them anyway and have very tight budgets for a long time.  A lot of the time I'd only just barely scrape by through neighbor deals or investing in zones from loans, at least until the end game when it suddenly all became too easy.  Garbage handling deals with neighbors were like printing money.

I felt like Cities: Skylines had some of the same noob traps, but it was better balanced as a game and eased you into some of the mechanics instead of letting you build all of the expensive stuff up front that you didn't need yet.  The free money for hitting milestones also helped a lot and could get you out of budget spirals without loans.  Locking you out of stuff until you hit the population milestones was pretty artificial though.  I don't remember how Sim City did that by this point, but I think it was mostly a matter of the game year mixed in with the monuments for population milestones?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #755 on: June 30, 2024, 11:49:15 am »

Yeah, I remember as a kid I could not figure out how to get a balanced budget in Sim City 2000 for some reason and would inevitably tank my city within a few game years from the start by overbuilding stuff that had maintenance costs.  In Sim City 3000 it was easy to do the same thing.  You didn't have to start with police coverage, fire coverage, hospitals, etc, but I always felt like the city was lacking important basic infrastructure without them so I'd build them anyway and have very tight budgets for a long time.  A lot of the time I'd only just barely scrape by through neighbor deals or investing in zones from loans, at least until the end game when it suddenly all became too easy.  Garbage handling deals with neighbors were like printing money.

I felt like Cities: Skylines had some of the same noob traps, but it was better balanced as a game and eased you into some of the mechanics instead of letting you build all of the expensive stuff up front that you didn't need yet.  The free money for hitting milestones also helped a lot and could get you out of budget spirals without loans.  Locking you out of stuff until you hit the population milestones was pretty artificial though.  I don't remember how Sim City did that by this point, but I think it was mostly a matter of the game year mixed in with the monuments for population milestones?

Simcity 2000 and 3000 never had such stupid severe hard locks like cities skylines. You had year locks for powerplants and the such as they were invented, and rewards for doing a good job in your city which were buildings that boosted stuff (city hall, mayors house, science institute, military base, etc etc), but your city could do alright without them.
Simcity 4 introduced some hard locks on powerplants and rewards to give player more targets when building their city. Still it didn't lock out stuff crucial for decent urban planning like cities skylines does with highways or mass transit.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51]