Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116818 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Old but relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhd9UF-tM1E

edit: Note that it was made way before the Natural Disasters DLC.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:33:20 am by Ultimuh »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Old but relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhd9UF-tM1E

To admit they are talking about SimCity... which playing properly involves you immediately deleting it from your computer and being thankful you don't have to play it anymore.

And then crying once someone forces you to play SimCity Societies... and if you thought City Skylines was easy... SimCity Societies might be unlosable! (It actually takes effort to lose! I FAILED to lose!)

---

Then again... "Why not just move them, instead of tearing them down and rebuilding them from scratch" well... mostly because... SimCity doesn't have magical building teleport powers. So you never really have to pay for remodeling in City Skylines, at least not to the same extent.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:37:30 am by Neonivek »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

It's a real shame they never made another simcity after simcity 4 rush hour.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a real shame they never made another simcity after simcity 4 rush hour.

Yeah... Kind of unfortunate.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

For that matter why do we need to build a tile of basic road before making anything larger?  Sure it's a simple thing to know to do, but I feel sorry for the newbies who have their main city entrance as a highway onramp straight into a 2 lane road because that's all they could make at first.  I've built highway interchanges that can't handle that traffic.

This actually caught me off guard when I tried playing it again recently.  I made that mistake on my first few cities and wanted to start with highways attached to the highway, but was forced to build the small 2 lane roads connected to it first.  I realized quickly afterward that I could immediately upgrade to 4 and 6 lane roads, but it was kind of a weird limitation all the same.

Incidentally, I also managed to bankrupt 3 cities trying to build up the initial road infrastructure to handle heavy traffic.  On the 4th attempt I just settled for the very cheap 2 lane roads and left enough space to demolish the roads near the highway so I could replace them with higher capacity stuff when it mattered.

That's the big thing I usually forget to do.  You can demolish anything and redo it, but I really hate doing that once I've zoned an area.  You have to demolish someone's house or office building or factory or whatever, and that just doesn't feel right.  This time I'm leaving enough space to put larger roads in place without having to do that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For that matter why do we need to build a tile of basic road before making anything larger?  Sure it's a simple thing to know to do, but I feel sorry for the newbies who have their main city entrance as a highway onramp straight into a 2 lane road because that's all they could make at first.  I've built highway interchanges that can't handle that traffic.

This actually caught me off guard when I tried playing it again recently.  I made that mistake on my first few cities and wanted to start with highways attached to the highway, but was forced to build the small 2 lane roads connected to it first.  I realized quickly afterward that I could immediately upgrade to 4 and 6 lane roads, but it was kind of a weird limitation all the same.

Incidentally, I also managed to bankrupt 3 cities trying to build up the initial road infrastructure to handle heavy traffic.  On the 4th attempt I just settled for the very cheap 2 lane roads and left enough space to demolish the roads near the highway so I could replace them with higher capacity stuff when it mattered.

That's the big thing I usually forget to do.  You can demolish anything and redo it, but I really hate doing that once I've zoned an area.  You have to demolish someone's house or office building or factory or whatever, and that just doesn't feel right.  This time I'm leaving enough space to put larger roads in place without having to do that.

I'm in a weird spot with this, honestly. On the one hand, yeah, I don't like how I'm forced to build a small 2-lane road off the highway and then just randomly build a town from that.

On the other hand... when I started looking around my area, I found more of those situations than I really expected. And that's off an actual interstate route (I84). So it's not like it never happens. And in real life, I suspect it's exactly the reason you're mentioning. 4-6 lane highways are *incredibly* expensive, whereas 2-lane roads are dirt-cheap, comparatively. They just upgrade them later, if the traffic demands it.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My first city was doing good.

I did not however prepare for the tsunami.

And wow did that tsunami wipe me off the island. From 20k citizens, to only 6 survivors (that is 6, not 6k or 600). I was so broke and in debt it was gameover, nothing I could do to recover.

Second city has been great though. I spread out more (well...my capital district still has 98% of the population), better prepared for disasters (had a tornado, and supposedly a sink hole but I couldn't find it and also had a small tsunami but it didn't come up as a warning). Now the city has 80k citizens, high agriculture exports (I love building farms :P) and looks really nice. There are lots of tourists, and the cruise ships are jammed packed getting into port lol.

On top of that, 2% unemployment, 97% health, and pretty good happiness (92%).

Though I'm kinda still screwed if I get another actual big tsunami. Pretty much all my high wealth districts are by the shore, since so much tourist income comes from there. I do have one high wealth district higher up, but its my only one. With that in mind, I probably should move my power generators to the new district that is up higher so I don't lose all my power again when the next tsunami hits. Maybe move them near the mountain by my wood industry. That way when a tsunami happens, I'm at least not screwed lol.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Mass Transit DLC!
« Reply #697 on: April 05, 2017, 08:40:07 am »

Yeah, I had a tsunami in my comparatively low lying delta sorta map. Surprisingly, only the outermost buildings were harmed, as well as the freeways. I lost 150 citizens out of a population of 30k at the time.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 19, 2017, 05:01:13 pm »

No matter what I do, I cannot seem to make aesthetically pleasing roadwork.
Even less so with interchanges and roundabouts.

edit: I guess I have to download some from the workshop that looks decent.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:33:44 pm by Ultimuh »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 25, 2017, 12:43:31 pm »

Been a while since anything was posted here, and sorry for it being a double post of sorts..

Lately, I have been itching in trying a succession playthrough of this game.
Anyone interested? If so, who should start? What mods shall we be using? And most importantly, what DLCs do we have?
(I basically have all the current DLCs. But I never really use the real football clubs DLCs, and they don't seem to be purchasable anymore any way.)
(As for mods, I would suggest we use the bare minimum, for practicality's sake.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #700 on: October 25, 2017, 02:43:16 pm »

I might be down with that but I am super rusty. I haven't touched this in a long time. For DLC I have After Dark and Snowfall

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 27, 2017, 08:58:46 am »

I guess there isn't enough interest for that at the time. Shame. (Was hoping for more than one person other than me.)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:34:30 pm by Ultimuh »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 30, 2017, 05:03:25 am »

I haven't played in ages myself...probably should pick it up again at some point. The DLC offerings have put me off of buying any though. They all seem like gimmicky shit to make a quick buck and nothing actually substantial.

I really wish they would add some more depth to the game....I would really like to deal with wealth levels instead of only densities. More interactions with the populace happiness levels would be nice too. I almost never pay attention to land values, happiness, pollution, crime, fire hazard level etc....it all just seems like barely relevant things that are too easy to fix with almost no effort or interaction.

Every city is just a magical utopia where even when things are bad people just leave and nothing comes of it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #703 on: October 30, 2017, 05:18:25 am »

Yeah the latest DLC was just a bunch of new building models and other assets and a few new zoning options right? I'm still annoyed at the lazy approach to the snow DLC where maps are either 'winter forever' or never see winter at all. Did that ever change?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 30, 2017, 05:57:54 am »

Not that I am aware....but that made me facepalm too...I was thinking it was going to bring seasons to the game...instead its just new maps that happen to require some extra road management for snow
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 51