Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116813 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Now with more Noir! And Snow!
« Reply #645 on: February 01, 2016, 02:06:26 am »

Instead of jumping into this whole "total conversion including totally new art, systems, design, and UI elements," I think I'll start off with something maybe a little bit simpler.

I'm thinking a good geothermal power plant design. Yeah.

THEN the total conversion.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 15, 2016, 11:05:16 am »

Heh. Playing on a workshop map with infinite money, just building whatever i like for the heck of it, not worrying about money.

Welcome to Little Floodmethtown! Come for the crushing poverty, stay for the rampant crime, prostitution, drug abuse and of course, the famous Floodmethtown Hydroelectric Dam that floods the town chest deep like clockwork!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 18, 2016, 06:10:22 pm »

Snowfall is critically panned.

Which is especially bad as the second of two poorly-received expansion packs.

Considering that the biggest problem with the base game (that critical service vehicle AI is bad) and the biggest problem with AD (that day and night have no practical effect on the simulation) have already been addressed by modders, and that the multiple problems with Snowfall (such as the fact that fully snowed-in roads are only 10% slower than normal roads) are being addressed by modders, the question stops being "Is Colossal Order ever going to address the problems themselves," and becomes "When are modders going to give up and make their own game from scratch?"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:36:18 pm by PTTG?? »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 18, 2016, 06:12:01 pm »

Someone get the modders together and pay them, and they might end up doing so! Seems to be how things go with modding-to-making-a-game.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 18, 2016, 11:24:20 pm »

fully snowed-in roads are only 10% slower than normal roads

oh my god

i've been to spokane when it snowed, do you know what that's like

("traffic" is not an appropriate phrase here, because that suggests transport in some way)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 19, 2016, 01:29:33 am »

Colossal are from Finland, you'd think they'd be familiar with snow. Perhaps they are too familiar with and underestimate its effects in other places.

Regardless, I bought the DLC but haven't played it yet. I think the base game was an excellent new take on SimCity genre, it is a shame if the DLCs are lackluster. Now it sounds like they are mainly graphical modifications, which is a little disappointing. After all, there would be space for entirely new systems like something to simulate outside markets regarding import/export economy etc.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 19, 2016, 01:40:57 am »

Considering that the biggest problem with the base game (that critical service vehicle AI is bad) and the biggest problem with AD (that day and night have no practical effect on the simulation) have already been addressed by modders, and that the multiple problems with Snowfall (such as the fact that fully snowed-in roads are only 10% slower than normal roads) are being addressed by modders, the question stops being "Is Colossal Order ever going to address the problems themselves," and becomes "When are modders going to give up and make their own game from scratch?"

I am yet to see any "critical panning". At worst, it got a 6.0, which to most reviewers I've seen is a "It's okay, some faults, but it's a decent addition."

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 19, 2016, 03:13:29 am »

I am yet to see any "critical panning". At worst, it got a 6.0, which to most reviewers I've seen is a "It's okay, some faults, but it's a decent addition."

The only reviews I've seen have been under 60. I think it just depends on what reviews you're looking at. I think people are generally annoyed with how pointless the snow is and the fact that it's only on specific snow maps instead of being dynamic, and not being actual seasons.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So this came out about a week ago.

Honestly it's refreshing. I'm especially glad to see they consider the last couple expansions to be graphics-heavy. If that means that later expansions are going to be more functional, I'd consider buying the old ones.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New patch a few days ago added landscaping and canals/quays. It seems like a larger engine-based change than any of the DLC so far, and it's free.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently they added stadiums which are the first(?) official traffic-relevant change connected to the day-night cycle.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did this game kinda die off for some reason? I haven't played it in ages, but I remember this was such an active game at one point and fast updates. But I don't hear much about updates, and no DLC/expansion for quite a while since the last one.

This sold so much, and I was really into it for a long time. Sadly my CPU doesn't run it very well at higher population maps (which makes the game unplayable for me, cause I love high pop cities in a city builder), so I had to stop. But I always check on it every so often.

But even this thread seems kinda dead except for that one guy right above me who keeps everyone up to date (thanks! :) )
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that while the game is fun, the expansions haven't really changed the overall playstyle. Snowfall's things were an irritation at best, and I suppose After Dark overhauled prisons and crime, but besides that it didn't seem to do much. I really like Match Day, and Snowfall's trams, but I do wish that they included another road/tram variant; a two lane road with tram tracks, but segregated. Kind've like what we have in Melbourne; the traffic would go nowhere if the trams and cars shared lanes.

Anywho, I guess what I'm saying is, there's not much to tell! My comp's actually starting to struggle a bit with my high pop map, but I'd put that down to the far too many assets and mods.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Someone get the modders together and pay them, and they might end up doing so! Seems to be how things go with modding-to-making-a-game.

I think that model was tested multiple times, there's a huge chance them going into development hell, coming out with some niche game full of interesting tidbits but bad overall gameplay, having them splinter in bazillion factions pushing each own to enlarge the scope of their most Favorites part of the gameplay, having them burn out and vanish, etc.

and then once in a blue moon you get factorio :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Well factorio is pretty great. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 51