Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116856 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Gameplay videos out now!
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2015, 09:31:45 pm »

Well the traffic in SC4 was semi abstract but following one citzen was not really expected of the player.
The mayor was for taking care of matters in a somewhat larger scale.

Also Children of the Nile on GoG has just that. Almost everyone is a persistent entity (at least till they die) and city dwellers come from outlying villages that shring as more and more people move into the city.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 09:58:51 pm »

Somewhat off topic but do you guys remember how one of the 'sim cities' games (forget which one) you could play in your cities in offshoot games (Streets of Sim City, Sim Copter)? It would be pretty awesome to have a Sim Copter-like for this, as Sim Copter doesn't run properly on modern machines.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2015, 10:23:23 pm »

That was Sim City 2000.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2015, 01:25:50 am »

The game is supposed to be super moddable. Like if someone had a lot of time, he could make a medieval mod to make the game medieval. That pretty much sold it for me.

Cause any games that are great for mods, I've always loved. Fallout 3/nv, elder scrolls and torchlight 2 being the big ones
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2015, 01:37:22 am »

From the looks of it they have certainly done what they said they would...Simcity 5 like it should have been

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2015, 02:47:43 am »

I really really hated disappearing people so much that I pretty much took back old Sim city games lol. Never played new Sim city, but I imagine people randomly disappear in that one too. A game breaking mechanic for me.
Hate to break it to you, but in severe enough cases of traffic conjestion people can be teleported to their destination. Source.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2015, 11:40:08 am »

I really really hated disappearing people so much that I pretty much took back old Sim city games lol. Never played new Sim city, but I imagine people randomly disappear in that one too. A game breaking mechanic for me.
Hate to break it to you, but in severe enough cases of traffic conjestion people can be teleported to their destination. Source.

I'm fine with that. That happens in skyrim too. And I've seen it in WoW. But, its supposed to be kinda rare/not often and if I designed my roads badly. I can understand if ai breaks or something because of bad roads.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2015, 11:51:06 am »

One can only hope that Paradox will not pack the game with DLCs that change the gameplay in a major way, like the Way of Life or Republic DLCs for ck2. Even if they do it, though, the game is already pretty good on its own, and the modding potential will keep it alive for long.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2015, 12:08:53 pm »

One can only hope that Paradox will not pack the game with DLCs that change the gameplay in a major way, like the Way of Life or Republic DLCs for ck2. Even if they do it, though, the game is already pretty good on its own, and the modding potential will keep it alive for long.
This is a Paradox published game and not a Paradox developed game.  So good chance that there is just going to be "content" packs.

"Content" as in new building model, music and sound packs.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2015, 12:14:43 pm »

This is a Paradox published game and not a Paradox developed game.  So good chance that there is just going to be "content" packs.

"Content" as in new building model, music and sound packs.

In one of Quill's videos. They are going to keep releasing content/dlc like CK2 and EU do.

There will also be a lot of free updates too,like one of the first updates will add tunnels for free. I guess they couldn't fit everything in (like the tunnels) because of their small development team. I can understand that, eventually a game has to release and not wait 10 years where its already out of date lol. But if they are sticking by their word, there will be a lot of free stuff after release. And paid stuff.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2015, 01:47:35 pm »

Paid DLC doesn't bother me nearly as much in a game that launches at $30.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2015, 03:09:19 pm »

I have to agree...I no longer pay more than ~$35 for games...as I have found a disturbing trend where games less than $35 seem to be better than games in the $50-$60 range...AAA studio shallow games -_-

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2015, 06:17:36 pm »

Funny how the market went degenerated where the more you pay for a game theless you get yet... its a formula that still works for big company. Im just trying to understand the concept and when and where on earth did we become that stupid....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2015, 06:19:54 pm »

Only games I personally enjoy are the ones you can mod. I like being able to tweak the game to my own preference. The only exceptions to games I enjoyed without mods is Ultima 7 (while it has some mods, its not intensive) and warlords battlecry 1/2 and 3 (except battlecry 3 does have an expansion style mod that is HUGE). And the Civilization series I can play without mods, even the modern ones. Outside of those...I haven't found much enjoyment in games you can't mod. But every moddable game my enjoyment increases a TON.

With that aside...

Pretty much sold on the game anyways. Been watching a lot of videos, and it isn't just showing things off like some companies do (or worse, those "open beta" (sure, not tricking me) MMOs that only let you play 2-3 days a week (only to generate hype)...every one of those has crashed and burned). I don't see the developers really spending anything on marketing like used cars sales man style gaming that a lot of AAA companies do. Pretty much as far as I can see, all the "marketing" is actually from the players themselves, which I like a lot better than some used cars sales man deciding to switch jobs and market some game.

What I see, is actual gameplay from actual people playing. And everything I have seen, I pretty much already know I'm gonna enjoy this. Some videos try to oversell things, but this is actual let's play kind of things I am watching. I already know I'll enjoy this, so there is no risk (for me) for preordering. Maybe there will be issues in the later game, but I have watched over 7 hours of videos (over 10 hours when I am done with the newest videos today), and I can tell this is exactly my type of game.

I imagine there will be a lot of DLC, but there will be a lot of free content too. And I actually kind of like DLC that CK2 and EU do...because like Skyrim (which is my #1 played game), the developers just abandon the game really quick and let modders fix things. Thats one reason I play MMOs, as long as its running, I see more content. I actually REALLY like all the DLC for CK2. Its like playing a MMO almost, in that I always keep seeing new "updates".

As for my plans...my first "city" will be a bunch of villages (sort of) and large towns in a mountain map. I hope the mountain map is good for a mountain town kind of theme. Otherwise I'll most likely just make my own map. I think they said there will be a map editor, and I actually already have plans for what map I am going to make. That may end up being the very first thing I do.

I want kind of a quiet kind of mountain town network, with a focus on preserving the natural beauty of the map. So there will be a lot of farms in the flatter areas, and a lot of "nature" kind of things to it, as much as the game allows. Except maybe ONE downtown kind of area depending what the map has available, I'll make everything else small and quiet. I'll probably make the bigger town something like a tourist kind of area that a lot rural towns have. So there won't be really much people living there (a few), but mostly commercial stuff that people can go buy cheap made items for more than its worth :P And every tourist town has a lot of cops (sherrifs actually), so I'll be sure to have a police station nearby lol

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2015, 06:45:55 pm »

I still have no idea what I want to do...but I do know I will have one area specially made for sewage/garbage/dirty industry...every city has a slum
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 51