Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116833 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Now with EXPLOSIONS!
« Reply #675 on: December 01, 2016, 12:44:50 pm »

Sounds good. I'm seriously considering it since it's a real change to the game.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Now with more Noir! And Snow!
« Reply #676 on: December 01, 2016, 01:18:28 pm »

So do these disasters actually >do< anything? I've seen a lot of video of the tsunami, but if I'm seeing everything correctly it looks just like when I accidentally screwed up a dam.  Everything's underwater for a few minutes, a few flooding icons show up, water passes and it's like nothing happened.  Is it more than that?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 01, 2016, 02:03:58 pm »

RockPaperShotgun did an article on the expansion near its release, and assuming their screenshots of an after-tornado are accurate... then yeah, some of the disasters do have much more than that

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/29/cities-skylines-natural-disaster-view/
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 01, 2016, 03:06:37 pm »

You sold me.  I have obliterated my first city far more thoroughly than I intended even.   Protip, player spawned disasters are delayed by a few minutes.   Don't go around randomly clicking to spawn them and wondering why nothing is happening.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 03, 2016, 03:25:14 am »

I picked this up during the black friday sales. I haven't played it yet, but I just installed it. To be honest, forgot I even bought it and I only got it the other day :P I was confused why it was on my steam game list, then realized I just bought it rofl. I didn't get any DLC though, just the deluxe edition. Maybe during Winter sales I'll pick a DLC up or two, depends if they go on sale or not.

I see there are a TON of mods for it, though probably wait to check them out when more get updated since guess the expansion broke a lot of mods. Plus I like playing vanilla anyway to begin with. Though I'll probably check out some custom maps.

Kinda late to start up a game tonight. But I'm looking forward to playing once I wake up :)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 03, 2016, 04:00:07 am »

I, too, picked this up in sales. I may have gone overboard for the first few days of playing it, because I can't look outside without identifying a corner store as a Low-Density Commercial Zone or criticizing the choice of road types in the neighborhood.

I find it hilarious how university professors (or 'workers' - could be the janitor all I know) drive around sports cars in my city. In what world are they paid that much? I guess it explains where 90% of my Education budget goes, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a new DLC coming out (Mass Transit). It doesn't seem like this game is very popular for some reason on this forum (or at least very active. Last post was over 120 days ago). According to steam charts though, the game currently has nearly 7,000 people playing and there are still always lots of new mods and stuff.

I actually just started playing yesterday, despite buying it way back in December. I kinda forgot about it to be honest, but mostly because I got super busy with real life stuff and I got into WoW with a real life friend of mine and WoW takes a lot of time lol.

Here is the DLC page

http://store.steampowered.com/app/547502/

(and here are description+features, copy/pasted from steam store page)

Mass Transit is the latest expansion for Cities: Skylines, the award-winning city-building game, and it brings several new systems into play to help citizens traverse their towns in speed and style. Commuters can now get around on the water, up high mountain peaks, and even through the sky thanks to the addition of ferries, monorails, cable cars, and blimps to the game.

Along with new transit service buildings, mass transit hubs where lines can exchange passengers, new scenarios, new landmarks, and new road types, urban planners now have more options than ever to add unique style and personality to their growing cities.

Main Features:
Sick Transit, Glorious Money:
Add a wealth of new transit options to your city, and add wealth to your city’s income! Let your citizens get across town in ferries, blimps, cable cars, and monorails!

Orderly Hub, Bub:
New mass transit hubs can bring all of your services together, letting citizens change rail lines in one building, or hop from the bus onto the ferry, or even find their way through a sprawling monorail-train-metro station.

Become a Roads Scholar:
Explore a set of new challenge scenarios focused on fixing traffic problems and adding new transit systems. New road types, bridges and canals adds variety to your city, and new ways to solve its challenges. Become an expert in traffic flow, and then use that knowledge to improve your personal city!

New Hats for Chirper:
NEW. HATS. FOR CHIRPER. (and also new unique buildings, policies and achievements. But HATS!)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I've passed on the previous dlc due to them being a bit lackluster in usefulness, but this looks like it has promise. Thanks for the head's up!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

I bought the game back not long after it came out, and am just now looking at the DLC for the first time.  I was disappointed to learn that the winter themed DLC only applied to a few new maps and that there weren't seasonal cycles.  Pretty sure I'll pass on that one and maybe the disaster DLC too, but I'll probably get the others.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've passed on the previous dlc due to them being a bit lackluster in usefulness, but this looks like it has promise. Thanks for the head's up!

Yeah, some have seemed kinda meh. Like the winter one (like Telgin pointed out) doesn't even effect all the maps. That one would be really cool if it added actual seasons.

This one actually seems like the best so far, from the features of the DLC page. Seems like it will actually add a lot in the transit part of the game (which is a bit lacking), and mods I imagine can make really good use of it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Chirper is such a negative feature for me. You can get mods to enable it, but the fact that it's rubbed in your face constantly doesn't help.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

I stopped caring because the base game was fairly barebones after you got into it. Way too easy, no challenge, and nothing interesting happened. You could build everything in like 2 hours and that would be the end of that.

Not to mention the traffic didn't make any sense at all.

You could have a 6 lane clear highway for cars to use but everyone only uses the closest path. So what's the point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I enjoy the game but there is one big problem I have.

The progression.  Without cheating it seems to be impossible to have 0 water pollution or even a reasonably low water pollution.  You have to get a pretty big city to even get the option of treating the sewage before dumping it straight into the ocean.  And as far as I can determine, you can't just not dump it.  Same with industry, though that's not as bad since you get alternatives fairly early.  Daytona beach isn't really all that big of a city, but there's still far more warehouses and office buildings than there are straight up factories.  Why can't we make offices early?

For that matter why do we need to build a tile of basic road before making anything larger?  Sure it's a simple thing to know to do, but I feel sorry for the newbies who have their main city entrance as a highway onramp straight into a 2 lane road because that's all they could make at first.  I've built highway interchanges that can't handle that traffic.

Probably is some mods out there that fix those issues, but it seems an odd thing for the base game.  They don't want to give you everything right away, sure, progression is a good thing. But why lock the basics?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:07:59 am by Greiger »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I stopped caring because the base game was fairly barebones after you got into it. Way too easy, no challenge, and nothing interesting happened. You could build everything in like 2 hours and that would be the end of that.

Not to mention the traffic didn't make any sense at all.

You could have a 6 lane clear highway for cars to use but everyone only uses the closest path. So what's the point.

This sums up my reasons why I stopped playing after a month or two.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is hard for me to kind of explain to myself why the game is so easy compared to its contemporary SimCity.

But I think what it boils down to is that it is nearly impossible for residential to fail (Other districts aren't particularly tough). As well there were no density issues (In SimCity having a high value, low density, location was somewhat waste of space... Looked pretty though).

The other is that the Green Options are almost what I'd consider outright better than the non-polluting options. To the point where if you are causing a lot of pollution you are likely doing it on purpose because you want to see how messed up you can make the map... and later on you will unlock options that save you space and give you tons of electricity!

One in City Skyline's favor is also that the game is VERY transparent in what a service covers. There is no guess work or map work or grid work involved in seeing a gap in your police protection. Sure it is easier that way, but it makes sense why.

Lastly there is no HUGE aging city hits that SimCity has. A HUGE part of the gameplay in that game is that if you don't keep up with the times and the size of your city... you are going to be VERY sorry (The whole "Death of the city center" will haunt you!). This game? I actually think you could get away with using only roads... it wouldn't be the greatest city, but you aren't going to suffer serious problems.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 51