Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116726 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Out Now!
« Reply #600 on: August 12, 2015, 03:28:35 am »

Civilian vehicles are not filler, they're actual agents. All vehicles are.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 12, 2015, 03:31:48 am »

Agents of clogging up your roads?
Then yes, yes they are.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 12, 2015, 03:53:07 am »

I didn't mean they weren't agents, just that AFAIK they don't have an effect on the simulation.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #603 on: September 13, 2015, 12:50:50 pm »

After Dark comes out in a week. I'm uncertain, but it looks like a needed complication to the simulation and some nice new structures. Oh, and beaches are going to matter at least in a distant way (beach specialization turned into Tourism, but there are ploppable coastal buildings that accentuate tourism).

Taxis also play into handling the new specialized areas. As tourists want to visit the tourist areas easily, having a good fleet of taxi cab standing by makes their life a lot easier. Taxis do not use lines, they receive requests from tourists and citizens and travel automatically to pick the customers up. If a taxi does not have a new customer in line, it will go to the nearest taxi stand to wait for a call if there’s still work shift left. At the end of the shift taxis return to their depots to receive maintenance. This makes taxis very flexible and they can help out a lot when you want to make sure tourists and citizens without cars can easily access all parts of your city.

Looks like custom buildings will automatically receive lighting so long as existing lamp props were used, windows are standard, and all that.

Next, let’s talk about a brand new feature which affects both content creators and players: District styles.

After shipping the free patch introducing the European theme and buildings, a rather high demand for these buildings to be made available in all themes rose from the forums. It was not done as such because of both technical and visual motives:
– memory usage would have gotten very tight for our user with minimum system requirements and we did not want to break the game for them.

– Buildings have specific requirements to tie-in with corner buildings and we would have needed to redo the entire stock buildings set to scale with the wall-to-wall and corner buildings feature. That obviously was not a viable option.
Coincidentally, another pretty highly requested visual feature was the ability to set a policy which would define the look of a district.

While we did not feel comfortable making this feature a policy as policies should have an impact on gameplay and not purely on visuals, we did add an option to select what we call “Styles” from a new Dropdown component in the District info panel.
We added a default building set with the European buildings and when enabled in the Content Manager, it will be available in the game dropdown.

Probably the best news in the upgrade.^

OTHER THINGS:
Shorelines raise land value! Finally! This stuff isn't from the expansion, but rather a free patch.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:14:23 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 24, 2015, 08:57:47 am »

after dark is out now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/369150/

the devs seem to do a great job so far since release... quite a bunch of free updates and patches (i.e. a whole europe building style, tunnels, even the new day and night cycle is free), considering all that i guess the 15 bucks of the expansion is pretty fair to support them and keep them working on the game in the future.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 26, 2015, 11:12:37 pm »

Now that the day-night cycle has been added, the graphics are completely, absurdly great.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 27, 2015, 05:33:16 am »

I've been playing this as a casual hangover game and enjoying myself. One question though - what good are the bus stations? Is there any point in having them in addition to depots and stops? The game doesn't explain that at all. Btw, zoomed on a cop car going somewhere and actually witnessed them doing an arrest. Seeing little details like that really makes the game feel alive.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #607 on: September 27, 2015, 07:45:10 am »

I've been playing this as a casual hangover game and enjoying myself. One question though - what good are the bus stations? Is there any point in having them in addition to depots and stops? The game doesn't explain that at all. Btw, zoomed on a cop car going somewhere and actually witnessed them doing an arrest. Seeing little details like that really makes the game feel alive.
They're a great place to have multiple lines end so your people can switch to other bus lines. Like a public transit hub

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 29, 2015, 06:42:49 am »

They're a great place to have multiple lines end so your people can switch to other bus lines. Like a public transit hub
Anyway if you are running more than 4 routes through one place in this game you are playing this incorrectly (unless you do this intentionally). In either case, the traffic in front of your bus termini is going to be horribly f__ked up not from buses but from all the vans and hearses.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 29, 2015, 08:24:02 am »

For a good example of this, you can check the map for the bus system for Peterborough, Ontario. Their transit is completely centred around a single hub station where all lines begin and end.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #610 on: October 02, 2015, 12:27:11 pm »

Seems like though the new features a great, they're incomplete. For instance, people still go to work at all hours of the day, there's still no rush hour, and people get annoyed and leave overnight if you reduce funding to services they need during the night... so there's never a reason to fund things differently during the day than the night except possibly power production.

Solar power is now problematic. Since the game doesn't simulate power storage systems, Solar is useless during the night.

Recreational and tourist specialties still fulfill regular commercial demand, so there's no reason not to make everything tourism.

Also, I REALLY wish that high employment boosted residential demand. People want to move to places with jobs!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:29:51 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 02, 2015, 04:33:40 pm »

How long do you have to play this before it actually gets any good? Because I just bought it and it starts slooooooooooooooow. Please tell me it gets better later on because what I've seen so far is NOT worth twenty dollars.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 02, 2015, 07:46:24 pm »

Are mods for this hosted anywhere other than the Steam Workshop?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 02, 2015, 08:32:42 pm »

No, the method by which they are stored by the game itself necessitates steam workshop integration AFAIK.

How long do you have to play this before it actually gets any good? Because I just bought it and it starts slooooooooooooooow. Please tell me it gets better later on because what I've seen so far is NOT worth twenty dollars.

they include the cheat mods for a reason

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 02, 2015, 11:09:42 pm »

So when there's a demand for industry or commerce, is the demand met once when a building is constructed and more every time it's upgraded (and its worker capacity increases)? Or is the demand met when goods are actually bought from/produced from the building? Or.. all of the above?

Also I'm pretty sure I've seen my residential demand increase AFTER zoning more residential areas. Is this because the demand is for residents with a specific education level?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 51