Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116888 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Out Now!
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2015, 09:58:30 am »

Don't change zones while on high speed, do it while paused or on slow.  The buildings collapsing because you removed a zone will create patchwork zones.  Kind of annoying but easily worked around.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2015, 09:59:54 am »

Ok, I've figured out what my problem with getting this to runis. Basically, I missed the line in the spec where it requires a 64 bit windows install. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

cities skylines and the free X weekend finally made me switch from win xp too. (but its possible to get some win 7 relatively cheap by now (~30€))

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2015, 10:02:15 am »

Your product key is showing. You might want to fix that.

By reposting the image link you are making it much harder or this to be rectified.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:10:13 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2015, 11:54:17 am »

Apparently this game sold at least 250,000 copies during the first 24 hours (including preorders) and apparently made records both for Paradox and for a Finnish game... 250k x 28 is 7 million €. Whoa.

Hows it like so far; I take it's well worth trying for a DF and SimCity player?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2015, 12:10:42 pm »

Yeah, it's a pretty good game Erkki.  Also note that it is on sale at greenmangaming with a coupon code for only 22 dollars.

So has anyone been able to create industry that imports very little outside resources?  I can't seem to get my forestry industry to build more silviculture areas.  Building in forested areas makes them build about 25-50% tree groves, but the rest are production buildings.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2015, 12:25:06 pm »

Are you sure you marked all of the industrial area as a district with forestry specialization?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2015, 01:06:50 pm »

My biggest complaint is actually the road system. It's incredibly difficult and/or impossible to create decent looks on/off ramps. Makes for me not relieving traffic situations because it doesn't look good.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 13, 2015, 01:13:00 pm »

I made a custom map. I like it personally, but the hardest part of making maps in this game is water. Because its actually fluid and exists in the world...it was a bit hard to get water flow right. I'm not very good with highway connections either, so I just did a pre-built one.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407156937

I did make an area for a dam to the north by the waterfall (it may take some moving around to get it), as that was a bit hard to do as well. Its easy to make sides to steep for a dam (dams should be able to be built on any terrain though, I looked at pictures and they are often built on steep terrain), or just not enough energy powering through it.

Other than that, it has highway connections, air connections, train connections and ship connections. A lot of fertile land, some oil, some ore and some trees. Along with animal spawns and what not. The map is more of a fertile desert kind of map, so except for some areas and along the rivers/water...its half-desert.

I want to see a mod to make dams built on any terrain though. Its kinda not realistic from what I can see on google images. I see images of dams built on really steep terrain, but this game doesn't let you do that.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2015, 02:07:19 pm »

Anyone else finding this game ridiculously easy? I constantly pull in $10,000+ and I've decreased my tax rate for everything down to 4%. I'm starting to max out funding for all city services too, just so that my monthly profit isn't too excessive.

Everyone hates on Simcity 5 for a variety of reasons, some of them good ones, but I found Simcity to be challenging, especially with the Cities of the Future expansion. 

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2015, 02:13:40 pm »

The challenge is mostly in managing traffic well enough that you don't lose half your population due to backlog.  Also waiting for the money to roll in and new toys to be unlocked during the beginning, that is big challenge there.  I guess another challenge is renovations, when you have new toys and/or your layout just ain't working... to demolish whole sections, then rebuilding em. 
And yea, I guess clicking on the demo button and looking for burned down homes is another challenge... of give-a-damn.

They do have a 'hard' mode in the mod section if you want are looking for some sort of challenge...  And a 'super hard' mode mod in the workshop.

Really though, play with house rules if you want it to be harder.  (I'm totally fine with the current 'difficulty'.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 13, 2015, 02:35:54 pm »

Are you sure you marked all of the industrial area as a district with forestry specialization?

Yeah, that's the only way forest grove industrial buildings can pop up in the first place. 

EDIT: I figured it out.  Apparently you can also plant trees to increase your supply of wood in an area, which makes the relevant industry switch over to producing lumber instead of finished goods.

Here's my lumber producing area, with before and after.  Before...After
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:11:24 pm by Tnx »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 13, 2015, 03:56:13 pm »

So, after about 40+ hours or so...

Thoughts:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
---------------

Objectively speaking, I don't think this is the end-all-be-all of city simulations. Ignoring the fact that this is the only good one we've had recently, it could really still be better. I enjoyed it though.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 13, 2015, 04:19:55 pm »

So, after about 40+ hours or so...

Thoughts:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
---------------

Objectively speaking, I don't think this is the end-all-be-all of city simulations. Ignoring the fact that this is the only good one we've had recently, it could really still be better. I enjoyed it though.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I do love the game and I imagine they'll be adding a ton of features over time. (I could be wrong here, of course.) If nothing else, I await the really impressive building collection packs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 13, 2015, 04:28:58 pm »

Yeah, apparently there's a CK2 dev who's working on a Skylines mod that adds politics into the game. So stuff like that would be great. Since this is only the first week or so, there's probably a bright future ahead.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 13, 2015, 04:57:22 pm »

Is it considered released or early access? I know paradox tends to do a lot of dlc, are those generally worth the money?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51