Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116860 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Out Now!
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2015, 01:31:52 pm »

Runs decent on my computer, but apparently Nvidia has never heard of this game so I had to set my GPU manually.

Anyway, game is fun. just one question though: Is ground pollution supposed to be purple?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »

As far as I'd seen, its supposed to be purpleish-gray.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2015, 01:38:53 pm »

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed with this. It feels like a much more basic SimCity but with larger city sizes and offline play from the start.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2015, 01:55:00 pm »

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed with this. It feels like a much more basic SimCity but with larger city sizes and offline play from the start.
What are you missing in this that simcity had?

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2015, 02:06:39 pm »

What are you missing in this that simcity had?

Mainly, the ability to add little bits to some of the main buildings to increase efficiency and output, instead of needing to build multiple 'cookie cutter' buildings.

It could also do with more 'snapping' when placing roads, as it's all too easy to end up a little out when trying to place parallel one-way streets (particularly as it seems you have to build the road towards the direction you wish it to travel in...).

I'd also like some kind of governmental hub, a central focal point for the city.

Also, I've noticed that building variety seems to get a little repetitive rather quickly.  There are only two types of fire station, two police buildings, a few power stations - all of which lack the ability to install 'add-ons' as mentioned above.

It just feels...I don't know, stale.

Don't get me wrong, some of the features are great - the direction of water flow, for instance, adds a further strategic layer to waste management. But those features are a little scarce.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2015, 02:10:07 pm »

I'm interested in this game, but havn't played many recent simcity stuff other the 2000 and the 4th.

Whats this about add-ons?  Sounds like a Tropico thing.  And I don't think any of the simcities had a meaningful governmental hub?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2015, 02:14:10 pm »

I'm interested in this game, but havn't played many recent simcity stuff other the 2000 and the 4th.

Whats this about add-ons?  Sounds like a Tropico thing.  And I don't think any of the simcities had a meaningful governmental hub?

Add-ons: In SimCity, you could build a police station (for example) and then build small additions to the original building, new cells, new police car stations, helipad, jail etc. You didn't need to place multiple of the exact-same structure, you simply expanded your existing one, with visuals to match. You could extend/upgrade power plants, fire stations, schools, and even your mayoral home in this way.

Governmental Hub: Yep, in SimCity you placed your Town Hall, which was then expandable (in the same way as the above) with extra buildings which unlocked new city additions.

Skylines has nothing like this, you just have to build cookie-cutter versions of the same utility over, and over, and over again. It's rather dull on that front.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2015, 02:17:53 pm »

to clarify, I think Kaje means the newest SimCity game.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2015, 02:21:46 pm »

SimCity 2013 had the ability to significantly expand your service buildings instead of just building more, which was pretty neat. Instead of having to place a second school, you could just tack on a couple more classrooms (up to a point). It also had the city hall, where you build expansions to unlock abilities (most of which are things you normally got for free EG manipulating taxes). The expandable service buildings, at least, are something Skylines could benefit from. Aside from that, I feel like Skylines has more features that lend themselves to meaningful player decisions than SC2013.

E: Ninja'd.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2015, 02:32:44 pm »

There's at least one very blatant Blade Runner reference in the game, so there's that, at least.

Enjoying it so far. The micromanagement of utilities and services from SC4 seems gone, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, cookie cutter utilities are boring. On the other, constantly fiddling with AoE sliders got tiring after a while.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2015, 02:42:14 pm »

cant you mod in new buildings? Im sure people will get around to building packs soon
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2015, 02:43:48 pm »

If you have to rely upon modders to extend the life of your game THE DAY IT RELEASES then you have a problem.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2015, 03:00:16 pm »

I raised my residential taxes to 15% because people wanted more living space. Figured it would keep demand in check, instead everybody left before I realized what was happening.  :( Good thing I had just saved.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2015, 03:08:20 pm »

If you have to rely upon modders to extend the life of your game THE DAY IT RELEASES then you have a problem.
This doesn't sound like 'needs to extend the life of' to me, it sounds more like 'why can't they expand the building instead of adding another one'.
(Also if you increase the budget for things, they will work better up to a point as far as I've seen.)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2015, 05:37:23 pm »

The main problem I'm having in this is getting my services to cover everywhere. Especially when I use one-way roads.
Don't pay too much attention to the coverage colors. The services still rely on agents just like simcity so even places not visually 'covered' will get firetrucks and such.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 51