Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kill Thieves  (Read 1067 times)

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kill Thieves
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:00:12 am »

I wouldnt mind any tips on how to kill thieves

My thinking is, if they are found inside then I auto-lock the front doors and have my internal guard kill them

Are there any more effective methods? (they are bloody annoying)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Kill Thieves
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:48:14 am »

Decently long passage inside with no guard dogs which leads directly into the barracks where the squads constantly train. After that comes dogs between barracks and fort in case theres a second where noone is sparring.

Result should be that the soldiers are the first to 'find' the thiefs, results, obviously...

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:56:03 am »

Part of me wonders if there is a way to utilize pressure pads and traps somehow.

Step 1 : Create a longer than normal way out of the Fort but setup traffic zoning to make it encouraging for our dwarves
(ie direct route = 10 steps, indirect route = 11 steps (or more) but as direct route has a cost of 250 steps to take and indirect is made as 11, dwarves will always go the indirect route but the mobs will go the direct route)
Step 2 : Create a pressure pad (assuming they can't bypass this, if so see Step 2a) and link it to a bridge retraction that removes the floor and drops them into a pit

Step 2a : Link it to a lever although requires very quick reactions and a ready dwarf to pull it.. and typically a longer bridge to retract (perhaps 3 bridges adjacent that are linked and pull out together)

I don't mind the barracks option but would love something that relied more on traps than having available soldiers

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 05:27:26 pm »

They shouldn't even get inside if you have a pasture with some dogs near the entrance.

You can put a barracks near the entrance and have some squads training there.. Then if the thief gets close to the soldiers, he will run away. No need to chase him, he will run at high speed off the map.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:21:05 am »

Giant cave spiders work nicely.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 03:06:22 am »

They shouldn't even get inside if you have a pasture with some dogs near the entrance.

You can put a barracks near the entrance and have some squads training there.. Then if the thief gets close to the soldiers, he will run away. No need to chase him, he will run at high speed off the map.

You mistake my intention

I want to catch him, he insulted my honor!!!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 05:01:01 am »

Thieves are generally trapavoid. So if you dont want to install something manually operated that needs 3 years to be completed then the Barracks solution is currently the best. That kills them most of the time.
Cages, pressure plates and traps normally dont react on thieves.

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 06:00:30 am »

So best bet then is to force them into an exit that i can drop the floor on

The simplest way I can think of is series of connected bridges, all retractable that make up the floor of my 1st level.
Link those to individual switches and then just pull appropriately

Its unlikely I will be able to drop the entire floor as will have dorfs running around so will have to co-ordinate but i see some collatoral damage with this plan

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:19 am »

Someone once had a setup that relied on having magma ABOVE a door.
Lock door. Build floor grates in front and behind door, that lead to a drainage.

Thief can lock doors, he will take the shorter route through the door. When door opens magma falls on his head.