Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What version? No, seriously, what version?  (Read 5355 times)

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What version? No, seriously, what version?
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:27 am »

I'm kind of confused, I always thought the version stickied at the top of the curses thread was the latest and most updated version of the game, 4.07.0. But then I thought the beta release of national LCS was the latest.. 4.07.4, the version number would reflect this. Though I found that version buggy (Couldn't recruit in other cities and some other oddities) so I reverted back to the other version.

Come to find people talking about some sourceforge version, google that.. Find this " http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcsgame/ " < Find it confusing as the date is much more recent. 2014-06-22, but the version number is lower than the sticked version. Yet THAT version was made in 2013.. Is that because the sourceforge version is an offshoot of an earlier version? I don't even know where to start.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: What version? No, seriously, what version?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 04:13:13 pm »

um, your link only has 1 file,
Name    Modified    Size    Downloads / Week    Status
Liberal Crime Squad    2012-09-04       55 weekly downloads    
Totals: 1 Item
where did you find the 2014 version? ???
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:38:38 pm »

um, your link only has 1 file,
Name    Modified    Size    Downloads / Week    Status
Liberal Crime Squad    2012-09-04       55 weekly downloads    
Totals: 1 Item
where did you find the 2014 version? ???

It was the thing that said this on the left "Last Update: 2014-06-22" This may not reflect when the game was updated. To be fair I don't know how to sourceforge so that could be the cause of my confusion. I still wonder if the version that is stickied is the latest most updated version, people have referenced other versions which aren't "SVN" or whatever, I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, coding or something maybe? I could be butchering that.

seth--

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:54:45 pm »

4.07.0 is the last version considered stable by jonathan
4.07.4 is newer, but beta. It more features and bugfixes but it isn't really finished and tested, so things can fail (like you saw)
4.06 from sourceforge is old. Don't use that
The lastest version is in the svn repo at sourceforge, but it's just the source code and you need to compile it before playing. This is where you can see the current state of development
I am confused are you saying you changed the kidnapping so it is less... Saw?
Did Saw consist of you beating them then yelling Ronald Reagan in their face?

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 05:49:04 pm »

Thanks.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 12:02:16 am »

It would be nice if we could get a compiled .zip of the latest version. I don't really feel like reinstalling code::blocks just to compile LCS, but at the same time I really want to play the latest version.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 03:31:19 am »

What's in there?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

jergen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 12:32:40 pm »

here's what i do...
1.go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcsgame/
2.click on code
3.click on download snapshot
4.extract the "art" folder and the "init.txt" file, go into the "workspaces" folder and extract "pdcurses.dll" and the "crimesquad.exe" (from the "release" folder inside the workspaces folder)
5.run "crimesquad.exe"

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:38:59 pm »

4.07.4 is newer, but beta. It more features and bugfixes but it isn't really finished and tested, so things can fail (like you saw)
The lastest version is in the svn repo at sourceforge, but it's just the source code and you need to compile it before playing. This is where you can see the current state of development

Good advice.

here's what i do...
2.click on code
4.extract the "art" folder and the "init.txt" file, go into the "workspaces" folder and extract "pdcurses.dll" and the "crimesquad.exe" (from the "release" folder inside the workspaces folder)
5.run "crimesquad.exe"

Also good advice.

If you want the most stable of the recent revisions I suggest revision 829. There's a bug with the House of Representatives introduced in revision 830 that I noticed while making revision 836 but I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, what with all the other changes in revision 836 to add MIDI music.

Basically, on every bill that Congress votes on, the House of Representatives now rejects it by a unanimous vote, 435 Nay votes and 0 Yea votes, which happens regardless of the political affiliation of anyone in Congress, they ALL vote no. It's like a Do-Nothing Congress on steroids... so right now revisions 830-836 are all afflicted with the Do-Nothing Congress Bug. I hope to get this fixed soon.

So ya, if you want a nice, stable game experience I'd suggest revision 829 from SourceForge... or if this bug gets fixed we might have something a bit more stable again soon. Take it from me folks, revision 829 is the most stable one with the least bugs. Although pretty soon I hope to fix bugs enough so that we have an even stabler revision.

You could also try out revision 836, and with it use the crimesquad.exe from the Debug directory under workspaces instead of Release, and you'll need 3 .dll files that are all in the root/trunk directory: PDCurses.dll, SDL2.dll, and SDL2_mixer.dll. It has MIDI music playing in the background, that's the major difference. The Release build of it randomly crashes (well not actually random, it follows deterministic patterns that can be repeated), so anyway I'll need to use less aggressive optimizations... aggressive optimizations and SDL don't seem to get along. The Debug build of revision 836 works pretty well except for the Do-Nothing Congress Bug.

The next time I put out a revision I'm going to fix both those bugs, of course (the Do-Nothing Congress Bug and the overly aggressive Release build optimizations that don't work with SDL bug). Oh, and in revision 829 and later, the .dll files such as PDCurses.dll are in the main root/trunk directory instead of the workspaces directory. This is because Code::Blocks uses the GNU Debugger GDB and executes the program while debugging and needs a directory to execute it in, and for the program to run correctly, it needs the .dll files in the same directory as it and it needs the art directory as a subdirectory. So if PDCurses.dll is in the workspaces directory, but the art directory is one level lower, then there isn't ANY directory where you can run a debug build in the debugger and have it actually work. So that's why this, among other things, was fixed in revision 829.

So hopefully the next revision I will be able to recommend as a stable one that doesn't have any major bugs. For now I recommend revision 829 for people who want to play the game with a stable experience and not have major bugs or crashes. Revision 829's Release build has exactly the same aggressive optimizations as revision 836 but I am not aware of them making it crash, that's a new thing caused by SDL. But, just to be safe, I would suggest using revision 829's Debug build.

Here is the download link for revision 829.

UPDATE:

Revision 840 is out, it fixes all the instabilities and bugs I know of in revisions 830-839. Both the Release and Debug builds are perfectly stable, you can use either one. The House of Representatives bug I mentioned is fixed. Other stuff is also fixed. Compilation on MS Visual C++ (both Debug and Release builds) is fixed and compilation on Linux/Mac OS X/etc. should PROBABLY work again, after being temporarily broken by the addition of SDL2 and SDL2_mixer dependencies in revision 836, and compilation on Code::Blocks works flawlessly too. Now my recommendation is to download revision 840 as the most stable build. I highly recommend revision 840 for everybody. Most of the bugs people encounter in the stable version 4.07.0 or the beta version 4.07.4 beta have been fixed since then, and while there might be new bugs, I don't know about any in revision 840. All known bugs have been fixed. So please play this revision 840 and if you DO find any bugs please report them and then we'll be able to fix them and make the game even more stable.

This is important because if you play an older version, even the latest beta version, and find bugs in it, the bug reports will probably be useless to us because of all the changes to the code since then, and moreover, you'll probably be reporting bugs that we've already fixed in the SVN revisions. If you really want bugs fixed you need to test the latest SVN revisions and report bugs in them. Also, I think revision 840 is quite stable. Just like revision 829 was. Don't use any of the revisions in between those 2 though.

Here is the download link for revision 840.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:08:55 am by Liberal Elitist »
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 03:17:03 pm »

Good advice.

here's what i do...
2.click on code
5.run "crimesquad.exe"

Also good advice.

If you want the most stable of the recent revisions I suggest revision 829. There's a bug with the House of Representatives introduced in revision 830 that I noticed while making revision 836 but I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, what with all the other changes in revision 836 to add MIDI music.

Basically, on every bill that Congress votes on, the House of Representatives now rejects it by a unanimous vote, 435 Nay votes and 0 Yea votes, which happens regardless of the political affiliation of anyone in Congress, they ALL vote no. It's like a Do-Nothing Congress on steroids... so right now revisions 830-836 are all afflicted with the Do-Nothing Congress Bug. I hope to get this fixed soon.

So ya, if you want a nice, stable game experience I'd suggest revision 829 from SourceForge... or if this bug gets fixed we might have something a bit more stable again soon. Take it from me folks, revision 829 is the most stable one with the least bugs. Although pretty soon I hope to fix bugs enough so that we have an even stabler revision.

You could also try out revision 836, and with it use the crimesquad.exe from the Debug directory under workspaces instead of Release, and you'll need 3 .dll files that are all in the root/trunk directory: PDCurses.dll, SDL2.dll, and SDL2_mixer.dll. It has MIDI music playing in the background, that's the major difference. The Release build of it randomly crashes (well not actually random, it follows deterministic patterns that can be repeated), so anyway I'll need to use less aggressive optimizations... aggressive optimizations and SDL don't seem to get along. The Debug build of revision 836 works pretty well except for the Do-Nothing Congress Bug.

The next time I put out a revision I'm going to fix both those bugs, of course (the Do-Nothing Congress Bug and the overly aggressive Release build optimizations that don't work with SDL bug). Oh, and in revision 829 and later, the .dll files such as PDCurses.dll are in the main root/trunk directory instead of the workspaces directory. This is because Code::Blocks uses the GNU Debugger GDB and executes the program while debugging and needs a directory to execute it in, and for the program to run correctly, it needs the .dll files in the same directory as it and it needs the art directory as a subdirectory. So if PDCurses.dll is in the workspaces directory, but the art directory is one level lower, then there isn't ANY directory where you can run a debug build in the debugger and have it actually work. So that's why this, among other things, was fixed in revision 829.

So hopefully the next revision I will be able to recommend as a stable one that doesn't have any major bugs. For now I recommend revision 829 for people who want to play the game with a stable experience and not have major bugs or crashes. Revision 829's Release build has exactly the same aggressive optimizations as revision 836 but I am not aware of them making it crash, that's a new thing caused by SDL. But, just to be safe, I would suggest using revision 829's Debug build.

Here is the download link for revision 829.

UPDATE:

Revision 837 is out, it fixes all the instabilities and bugs I know of in revisions 830-836. Both the Release and Debug builds are perfectly stable, you can use either one. The House of Representatives bug I mentioned is fixed. Other stuff is also fixed. Now my recommendation is to download revision 837 as the most stable build. I highly recommend revision 837 for everybody. Most of the bugs people encounter in the stable version 4.07.0 or the beta version 4.07.4 beta have been fixed since then, and while there might be new bugs, I don't know about any in revision 837. All known bugs have been fixed. So please play this revision 837 and if you DO find any bugs please report them and then we'll be able to fix them and make the game even more stable.

This is important because if you play an older version, even the latest beta version, and find bugs in it, the bug reports will probably be useless to us because of all the changes to the code since then, and moreover, you'll probably be reporting bugs that we've already fixed in the SVN revisions. If you really want bugs fixed you need to test the latest SVN revisions and report bugs in them. Also, I think revision 837 is quite stable. Just like revision 829 was. Don't use any of the revisions in between those 2 though.

Here is the download link for revision 837.

Would it be possible to get a sticky of this up? Or another topic explaining this, I think it's important for people to have a basic tutorial on where and how to get the latest version. I'm sure people tend to figure it out, or ask (Like I did). But it really deserves a sticky IMO

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:06:30 pm »

It seems that in the latest version congress votes on legislation EVERY month, is that a bug or a feature?

EDIT: " Increased the rate of Congressional legislation." It must be this from r830, so feature. :p
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:12:11 pm by bluwolfie »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 10:11:41 pm »

We can't have a slugs pace for legislation all the time, now can we? I mean, those Conservatives have to work eventually.

bigbillyjohn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 06:52:37 pm »

I downloaded and extracted revision 837, opened game.vcxproj in Visual Studio 2013, updated the project for VS 2013, tried to build crimesquad, and received 11 warnings in several files and 4 warnings in shop.cpp. How can I build it properly?

Edit: The errors had to do with not1 not being defined, so I included <functional>, and now get errors in msvcrt.lib saying
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I get the feeling the issue has nothing to due with the error messages.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:09:21 pm by bigbillyjohn »

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 01:02:17 am »

It seems that in the latest version congress votes on legislation EVERY month, is that a bug or a feature?

EDIT: " Increased the rate of Congressional legislation." It must be this from r830, so feature. :p

This is a feature added in revision 830 by Jonathan S. Fox (the lead developer) and I think it was discussed in another thread here. There was a minor bug with it, namely Congress, when voting every month, would have the House of Representatives unanimously vote Nay on everything, but I fixed that in revision 837. Yes, that was a very intentional change by Jonathan S. Fox, I don't know the exact reasons for it but I'm not going to second-guess it, I'm fine with it either way, with Congress voting on legislation every month with a short list of bills, or only a couple times a year with a long list of bills, either way is fine with me, the only thing I care about is that the implementation works correctly and doesn't have bugs in it.

I downloaded and extracted revision 837, opened game.vcxproj in Visual Studio 2013, updated the project for VS 2013, tried to build crimesquad, and received 11 warnings in several files and 4 warnings in shop.cpp. How can I build it properly?

Edit: The errors had to do with not1 not being defined, so I included <functional>, and now get errors in msvcrt.lib saying
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I get the feeling the issue has nothing to due with the error messages.

It seems that besides just adding SDL files to the MS Visual C++ project, one of the lines in the Visual C++ project file (.vcxproj file) had to be changed from MultiThreadedDebug to MultiThreadedDebugDLL. Jonathan S. Fox figured that out and made the fix for Debug (but not Release) builds in revision 839, and then I extended this fix to also fix Release builds too in revision 840 (currently the current revision).

Anyway, the C++ runtime library should be set to Multi-Threaded Debug DLL for Debug builds for Visual C++, and Multi-Threaded DLL for Release builds for Visual C++, for it to work with SDL. That is what the problem was. If you use revision 840 or later, compiling either Release or Debug builds in Visual C++ should work fine, and in revision 839 it should work for Debug builds but not Release ones in Visual C++. Revision 840 also includes important fixes for the Autoconf script and Makefiles so that it should compile correctly on Linux, Mac OS X, etc., although I'll need people on Linux or other UNIX-based systems to verify that it works for me.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:13:06 am by Liberal Elitist »
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL