Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIX: The Journalist Underground | Mafia Victory  (Read 69525 times)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIX: The Journalist Underground
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 03:28:52 am »

Oh gawd Tiruin is online.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIX: The Journalist Underground
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 10:41:05 am »

It was dawn. A cold wind passed through the snow-covered land that made the people cling readily to their coats or shift uneasily in their blanketed cots. The wind moved through the windows of greyed buildings, echoing in somber tones, reflecting the state of age and depression that echoed quietly in the hearts of the masses. In a remote location, a flag fluttered and replied to the wind. Its symbolism announced: We are free. We will stand for freedom--and the meaning of this freedom is human.

A score of people watched the rising sun reflect its rays off the snowy horizon and looked to the billowing flag once, before the foremost person nodded and turned around towards a building half-buried in the snow. The others followed her, all clad in the thickest of coats and the puffiest of hats.

It was a while before the people gathered inside the building, in the underground of the over-tunnel. They gathered in a quaint room with a circular table in the middle and metal lockers lining the sides, amidst the silent hum of power generators and steam piping. A fluorescent bulb blinked into life overhead.

"This is a new day," called the female lead, bringing a folder and its stack of documents out of one of the lockers, spreading them out on the table. "And in this new day, we add onto progress. All of us will now assume pseudonyms: other names to protect our individuality. Why I say such, and in this formal manner, is due to the danger of thought. The government, as we all know in the National Times, has begun a crackdown on 'subversive and intrusive speaking'. In laymans terms, that means anyone that speaks against what they broadcast, their faith (however convoluted from the truth) and any insult towards the Great Leader Prime. Even compliments on his clothing, of course. Call me Tiruin, for those who have just arrived at the five-o-clock mast. I am the head composer and leader of this facility. As you may have seen in the directory board, your professions are in no way connected to who you truly are, to emphasize this danger."

She slid open the folder and brought out a pendulum-clock, setting it ticking after laying it upright.

"Time is against us. We have only until the dusk before we depart--I will stay behind with one other person to oversee the printing of the morning newspaper. Time will be told by this clock, and the many others in the different sections and departments. As you may have seen, this facility is quite well-a-ways from your homes, and even has provisional bunks and storage rooms (with a classy kitchen). These are emergency facilities and in no way must they be used as an alternative utility to your homes unless...otherwise. We must keep the facade of an abandoned bomb shelter up, lest the government see us and eliminate (or, technically add) this locality to their list of 'protected regions and provinces.'

"We are the nearest and greatest threat to their spread of power towards the hinterlands and northern caps. You were all briefed as to your labor in this area at the five-and-a-half mast, I believe, and prior to that I do hope you did not buy into our...honestly, paltry excuse for a 'profession slip'. I hereby repeat that you are not here to sample 'pristine quality' snow or 'hew zero-taste(TM) profile ice for processing into premium drinks' (I mean who buys into that khrappθ?...apologies for that comment), and I wish you all well in your works. Complimentary snacks are to your own avail in the kitchen, and anyone still confused may send me a letter (or speak with me--I'm free, totally!) or ask one of the Intellectual Counselors on-site. It is nice to see such faces in these times.

"You are hereby dismissed to your duties. Glory to Xlixia."

Two traitors/spies/dissidents/bad people are hiding amongst you nine. Each day, you may vote off one person for the lynch through the majority.

Days come and go in 72 hours, nights take 24 hours. Weekends are not counted in the timer [and therefore act as added time in the Generic Calendar/Clock, linked in the date]. Take note that this BM uses a different extend/shorten scheme than the ones prior.

If you've any questions or things pertaining to your role, PM the Moderator [Tiruin].

Vote standings:

• AlleeCat -
  • Worldmaster27 -
  • My Name is Immaterial -
  • Comrade Shamrock -
  • TheDarkStar -
  • Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum -
  • Krevsin -
  • Nerjin -
  • Silthuri -

Day 1 has begun and will end at August 26, 2014 [Tuesday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for zombie urist's LurkerTracker!

Of note: I keep on mixing Xlixia with any other pronunciation! :I
Gah! I:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:52:58 am by Tiruin »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIX: The Journalist Underground | D1 has begun.
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 11:33:21 am »

(Random.org, who shall D1 lynch?)
TheDarkStar, you scummy-scum!

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 11:42:52 am »

Immaterial, random lynching is a bad idea, because we have a higher risk of killing our own.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2014, 11:46:17 am »

I guess I should question someone?

AleeCat what is your favourite colour?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 11:50:52 am »

Immaterial, random lynching is a bad idea, because we have a higher risk of killing our own.
That's true, but, if you read Bookthras's rant on D1 lynches, you'd know that its a risk worth taking. Quoted from the OP for convenience.
Spoiler: On D1 No-lynches (click to show/hide)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 12:00:26 pm »

EBP: Anyway, we needed to get the ball rolling, so a random accusation was necessary.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 12:09:07 pm »

Hi, I'm the Scum IC, and normally I'd advise the scum players in the scum chat, but since you new players are playing already and the ICs aren't here yet, I'm going to give you all a little bit of advice. And since I'm not playing, any in-thread advice I give you is trustworthy

That's true, but, if you read Bookthras's rant on D1 lynches, you'd know that its a risk worth taking. Quoted from the OP for convenience.
Random-lynching D1 is not the only alternative to No-lynch. Generally a D1 Lynch is only made after enough information has found to determine someone being scummy. How do you find that information? Ask lots of questions, randomly vote people to try and pressure them (along with questions) , and if you think something seems off, prod at it by asking more questions.

This is a good start, but generally you should ask more game relevant questions. Here all AleeCat has to do is respond by saying blue, and she's of the hook. For instance, in one Mafia game I'm in I asked the question "Who do you feel you can reliably tell whether or not they're scum?" to Tiruin in my opening post. While I wouldn't recommend a question like that to a newer player (because you haven't played Mafia with anyone), find some question to ask.

Final piece of advice, look at previous Beginner's Mafias, and games in the Notable Games archive, for good examples of Mafia games and how people tend to play them.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2014, 01:47:57 pm »

MNII:

Why didn't you ask any questions?

Krevsin:

Why did you ask a question that won't give any useful information?

Worldmaster127:

What do you think is the most important scumtell?

Comrade Shamrock:

If you were the cop, would you check the person who wasn't doing much or the person who was leading scumhunting?

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:

If you were the jailkeeper, would you jail to block or jail to protect?

Nerjin:

In your opinion, what is it that is most often used as a scumtell when it really isn't?

Silthuri:

If you can't find anyone who is scummy by the end of Day 1, should you no-lynch? Why/why not?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2014, 01:53:49 pm »

MNII:

Because I was jumping in blindly with the sparse knowledge I've gained from a few games played in person, and half-understood advice in hand.

If you were Mafia, who would you not kill?

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2014, 02:07:05 pm »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:

It would depend on the situation I guess...
Jailing to block wouldn't accomplish much with two scum, would it? So protect the cop (or wait until there is only one scum) if there were two scum.
But if there was only one, I would try to block the scum, because they couldn't kill someone in jail. That way no one dies, and you learn who the scum is.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2014, 02:11:14 pm »

MNII:

Because I was jumping in blindly with the sparse knowledge I've gained from a few games played in person, and half-understood advice in hand.

If you were Mafia, who would you not kill?

I wouldn't kill someone who was also Mafia. Also, I probably wouldn't kill someone who was lurking, since they wouldn't be helping the town anyway. Same goes for people who active lurk (meaning they post fluff posts only).

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:

Jailing to block wouldn't accomplish much with two scum, would it? So protect the cop (or wait until there is only one scum) if there were two scum.
But if there was only one, I would try to block the scum, because they couldn't kill someone in jail. That way no one dies, and you learn who the scum is.

That's basically what I would answer.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2014, 03:13:14 pm »

TheDarkStar:
Comrade Shamrock:

If you were the cop, would you check the person who wasn't doing much or the person who was leading scumhunting?

I would be torn between the two. I wouldn't want a scum to be leading the scumhunt. But also their larger number of posts would present an easier read and is more likely to be town. But the one who wasn't doing much could be a scum who is lurking. So, I would probably check the one who wasn't doing much unless I had very strong suspicions of the scumhunter and wanted to confirm.

Same question to you.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:

Sorry to inject a note of worry. But doesn't the jailer also protect the victim. So if you jailed the victim of the nightkill and you accused them of being scum. You could actually accuse and possibly lynch town. This would then expose your role as jailor for accusing the wrong person.

Worldmaster27:
Would you prefer to be doctor or jailor? Why?

Silthuri and Nerjin
Is there any less common scumtells not covered in the OP to help us find scum? I'd like to be prepared in case we have IC scummery.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2014, 03:24:08 pm »

Same question to you.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:

Sorry to inject a note of worry. But doesn't the jailer also protect the victim. So if you jailed the victim of the nightkill and you accused them of being scum. You could actually accuse and possibly lynch town. This would then expose your role as jailor for accusing the wrong person.

... Rereading, apparently the jailer can use their power multiple times... Oh.
True, but it would narrow it down to the one remaining person... And then you block the real scum the next night... Still wins with only one non-scum killed. And I doubt it matters if they know you are the jailer at that point, because you win anyways.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2014, 03:30:01 pm »

Same question to you.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:

... Rereading, apparently the jailer can use their power multiple times... Oh.
True, but it would narrow it down to the one remaining person... And then you block the real scum the next night... Still wins with only one non-scum killed. And I doubt it matters if they know you are the jailer at that point, because you win anyways.
Well, scum could also accuse you, and if they can win that lynch, you've lost.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38