Empires
C&C renegade (original)
C&C Red Alert 2
OpenRA
AVP 2000 (Steam)
Mechwarrior
Medieval I total war
Shogun I total war
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War I : Soulstorm (and associated expansions)
Nation Red
Serious Sam 3: BFE (Deathmatch, CO-OP is still somewhat alive)
Warzone 2100

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Resurrect a multiplayer game for a day thread  (Read 29174 times)

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrect a multiplayer game for a day thread
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2014, 12:37:24 pm »

Much reduced numbers of voters this time.

I hope the new numbers are going to play in higher numbers than last time.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2014, 03:22:09 pm »

Well, even if in the end we end up with roughly the same amount of people, say 5-6, given Warzone 2100 is winning right now I think it wouldn't be a problem - RTS game experience doesn't suffer so drastically if there are few players, unlike FPSs.

But yeah - people, vote! Engage! Dammit, what's up with you lot, there are some good games to be played and you just shy away? You sillies!  :P
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2014, 03:24:54 pm »

But I have!
Also, here's hoping we also play Mechwarrior and OpenRA.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2014, 02:03:38 am »

mechwarrior living legends is the best thing

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2014, 02:56:22 am »

I'd still be down for getting a train on a few different Warcraft 3 maps. I played for a few hours indulging in Hell vs Heaven (OP version of Angel Arena), Vampirism Fire (build bases and grow stronger than the rampaging vampires), Natural Selection (a really nice life simulator where you pick a base "race" and watch it go to town on enemies), and a bit of Heroes and Empires, to see if my old strategies worked.

Can't find enough for a Jungle Troll Tribes, which is a much more team oriented and hardcore version of Island Troll Tribes, with a bit of Wilderness Survival thrown in for good measure.

I'm tempted to reinstall Warcraft 3 and not patch it to 1.26, so that I could re-experience Gensis of Empires 2. That was the epitome of stupid complex strategy game map (with something like 6-10 different resources and methods of obtaining them, can't remember exactly, and 4 different paths to run your empire into [demonic, nature, science, magical], with chances to go hybrid in some aspects). It was sadly broken with the JASS rework that fixed being able to run code outside of Warcraft 3 (that was really useful in custom maps, as it allowed certain things to run; better explanation of it is here) and was never fixed to run with the new version of what originally worked. And because it was complex/wasn't DotA/required more than 5 minutes to see action, never really gained a huge following.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:36:15 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2014, 04:06:30 pm »

Sorry should have closed the poll earlier. Will update this post when flash has finished installing.

Now that is done. The winners are : Empires, Mechwarrior and Warzone 2100. I can run servers and lobbies for warzone and empires however I dont think I can play mechwarrior as I don't have a copy and I don't think I am able to get it for tommorrow (unless its free to play, in that case let me know.

Thanks for voting
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:10:09 pm by gigaraptor487 »

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2014, 04:28:10 pm »

It was released free for a while, before the company hosting it dropped everything Mechwarrior-related to work on Heavy Gear; there's a legitimate and almost certainly legal (my logic is that the Tribes dowloads are, and this is the same situation) download up used by what's left of the community, but I'm not comfortable directly linking it here with the abandonware rules.  It's discussed in this reddit post

Gameranger - the GameSpy emulator - is also needed to run it online.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2014, 04:29:49 pm »

Thanks I will see if I can although it seems a little dubious since they refer to it as "abandonware" in the first comment.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2014, 04:34:42 pm »

I'll gladly host Empires, if you don't have a dedicated server or experience with it.
Also, if we're planning on having a game that's not full of newbiness, I strongly recommend everyone that's going to play to go through the quick start guide, and pay attention to it.
For context, most veteran players don't assume someone else is competent (not good, just basically competent) unless they have over 50 hours, and those are the particularly kind ones.

Also, if we're interested in getting a variety of activity, enough to justify more than the smallest maps, we should probably play on one of the few public servers. Loss of admin powers, but worth it for a decent player population.
With less than 10 people, there's only 3 or 4 maps that are fun, and not just vast amounts of emptiness. (Not including a few novelty maps.)
For the record, population, even on the weekend, tends to max around 20-30. Week days usually stay under 12. And it's been quite awhile since more than one server was active at one time.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2014, 04:40:38 pm »

Thanks I will see if I can although it seems a little dubious since they refer to it as "abandonware" in the first comment.
It is abandonware, but it was released freely via torrent and with no DRM by the most recent company to support it.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2014, 05:47:19 pm »

I'll gladly host Empires, if you don't have a dedicated server or experience with it.
Also, if we're planning on having a game that's not full of newbiness, I strongly recommend everyone that's going to play to go through the quick start guide, and pay attention to it.
For context, most veteran players don't assume someone else is competent (not good, just basically competent) unless they have over 50 hours, and those are the particularly kind ones.

Also, if we're interested in getting a variety of activity, enough to justify more than the smallest maps, we should probably play on one of the few public servers. Loss of admin powers, but worth it for a decent player population.
With less than 10 people, there's only 3 or 4 maps that are fun, and not just vast amounts of emptiness. (Not including a few novelty maps.)
For the record, population, even on the weekend, tends to max around 20-30. Week days usually stay under 12. And it's been quite awhile since more than one server was active at one time.

I haven't ever hosted a source mod before, although I have experience running source game servers so I should be ok.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2014, 07:31:27 am »

Just to remind everyone, This will be happening again today at 9pm BST, starting with empires. I am going to be running servers for empires and warzone 2100, however I won't play mechwarrior 4 because its status as "abandonware" seems dubious. This means that I won't run a server for this game unfortunately, although this thread should be used for those who are going to play mechwarrior.

Sorry for the inconvieniece.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2014, 08:42:48 am »

Ok then, shame about the MW4. I might host a game though, if you wouldn't mind? I can't promise anything as I have no computer to serve as dedicated server and there's a possibility of my net becoming unstable, but if enough people say they'd play it, we could try. But since this is some sort of an "extra", I suggest playing MW4 at the very end, after Empires and WZ2100.

For those interested in playing MW4 but don't own MW4 yet - as stated, the game is considered abandonware but you can find a certain reddit post if you just google mechwarrior 4 mercenaries! You can also pm me and I can send you a link.

Hope this is all ok with you, gigaraptor487.  :)
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2014, 08:49:04 am »

Ok then, shame about the MW4. I might host a game though, if you wouldn't mind? I can't promise anything as I have no computer to serve as dedicated server and there's a possibility of my net becoming unstable, but if enough people say they'd play it, we could try. But since this is some sort of an "extra", I suggest playing MW4 at the very end, after Empires and WZ2100.

For those interested in playing MW4 but don't own MW4 yet - as stated, the game is considered abandonware but you can find a certain reddit post if you just google mechwarrior 4 mercenaries! You can also pm me and I can send you a link.

Hope this is all ok with you, gigaraptor487.  :)

Go nuts! It would be great to see the game played anyway.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2014, 01:31:28 pm »

Ugh.

Now that's what I call Murphy's law.

I forgot Empires are source game and I don't have any source game listed installed currently. I remembered that today but I was in the middle of downloading MW4 and because I couldn't download both, I decided I'll have to skip on Empires as there won't be enough time for me to download everything.

But I just came back and I see MW4 download cancelled for some reason. And at the very end, 1.85 out of 1.9GB. So retarded. >:I

I'll be joining you guys just for WZ2100 then. I'll probably get annihilated but anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17