Empires
C&C renegade (original)
C&C Red Alert 2
OpenRA
AVP 2000 (Steam)
Mechwarrior
Medieval I total war
Shogun I total war
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War I : Soulstorm (and associated expansions)
Nation Red
Serious Sam 3: BFE (Deathmatch, CO-OP is still somewhat alive)
Warzone 2100

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Resurrect a multiplayer game for a day thread  (Read 29201 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Resurrect a multiplayer game for a day thread
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2014, 07:48:18 am »

As far as infantry combat goes, it could be a fair comparison to ND, yes.
The way that base building as the commander works, and the fact that there are vehicles, put it quite separate and distinct.

ND has a C&C like build radius to adjacent buildings, Empires does not, only that a player be within a distance. (And since a player needs to build up the building to make it work, that's a good thing.)

Vehicles don't exist at all in ND.
In Empires, they're the most customizable combat vehicles I've ever seen in a mod, or even a major release. And I don't mean in decorative ways. All changes have combat effects, and in fact, there are no visual differences between vehicles of the same class for each side. (i.e. a Brenodi APC will always look like all the other Brenodi APCs. An NF Light Tank will look like all the other NF Light Tanks.)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2014, 09:13:09 am »

I might still have my AvP Gold disk lying around somewhere, if anyone's interested in that.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 03:14:24 am »

What about CivNet? I spent so many hours playing that single-player when I was younger, but I never did manage to set up a multiplayer match. It would be an old dream come true... And it's abandonware now, i think.

It would also make me supremely happy if we could manage to get Blast Doors to run online. Another game I lost many hours to back in high school...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2014, 03:31:22 am »

Might I suggest Laser Squad: Nemesis?  Its like xcom converted to an very old version of Frozen Synapse.  Never played it myself, didn't seem worth it since the multiplayer scene was looooong dead.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2014, 07:50:38 am »

Frozen Synapse seems to be dead too.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2014, 07:54:31 am »

What about CivNet? I spent so many hours playing that single-player when I was younger, but I never did manage to set up a multiplayer match. It would be an old dream come true... And it's abandonware now, i think.

It would also make me supremely happy if we could manage to get Blast Doors to run online. Another game I lost many hours to back in high school...

Seems like it might work over something like Hamachi. I'll give it a go.

EDIT: You have to pay $15 for a registration for network play. One copy, however, supports 8 people.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:58:57 am by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2014, 07:57:41 am »

PTW due to interest.

Empires is pretty cool, but I've hardly ever seen anyone on it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2014, 09:04:27 am »

EDIT: You have to pay $15 for a registration for network play. One copy, however, supports 8 people.

Ah, that's probably not going to work then. That site is actually long abandoned. Their multiplayer games are all dead. I assume it's no longer possible to register the game. Shame. It's actually a miracle the site is even still there at all...

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2014, 09:47:16 am »

Ah, that's probably not going to work then. That site is actually long abandoned. Their multiplayer games are all dead. I assume it's no longer possible to register the game. Shame. It's actually a miracle the site is even still there at all...

Not so sure. Registration appears to go through a separate site entirely (MyCommerce), but I'm not willing to drop $15 on something that's such a big unknown.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:02 am »

I want to be an ass and suggest Gettysburg: Armored Warfare for the sole reason that I acquired it via Humble Bundle and only got to play the "tutorial".

But it wasn't a good game, so it probably deserves death.

qazcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2014, 11:45:12 am »

I have never seen anybody play jagged alliance 2's multilayer.I always wondered how it would work.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:23 am »

Its reduced in size compared to before, but there are still games happening every few minutes.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2014, 12:11:12 pm »

Its reduced in size compared to before, but there are still games happening every few minutes.

Yeah, when I start a match, I get messages every few minutes about someone wanting to play Dark Extermination.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2014, 12:17:09 pm »

Oh, I just remembered. Eternal Silence was a Source mod that was similar to Battlefront 2's space combat. I tried to play it once, but it was completely dead. Two servers, no players. Maybe we could try that? It's free and on steam.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2014, 01:34:41 pm »

Posting to watch in case a game I own comes up here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17