Empires
C&C renegade (original)
C&C Red Alert 2
OpenRA
AVP 2000 (Steam)
Mechwarrior
Medieval I total war
Shogun I total war
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War I : Soulstorm (and associated expansions)
Nation Red
Serious Sam 3: BFE (Deathmatch, CO-OP is still somewhat alive)
Warzone 2100

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Resurrect a multiplayer game for a day thread  (Read 29196 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrect a multiplayer game for a day thread
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 12:28:18 am »

Unless Other Games secretly has 2000 people willing to go back to playing puzzle pirates full time.

One hour was enough for me.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:37 am »

I like Puzzle Pirates. ;_; In fact I was playing it just a few weeks ago.
I doubt I'd even be able to run whatever games you guys decide to revive, but I'd like to chime in saying this is a cool idea.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2014, 06:45:38 am »

And I remember Runescape. I remember a Christmas event where everyone could go to a snow field and have snowmen battle eachother, and a haunted house with a quest that had a puzzle I couldn't solve. And an event where you could take some sort of helicopter jetpack into premium areas and I was trying to jump off...
Runescape is the game that gave me the "62" part of miauw62

Oh man. That lever puzzle in Draynor mansion. I think many people only ever solved it because of kind players who would take them through the sequence. That was before "just look it up" became a common thing.

Even once I quit playing, I logged in for the holiday events for the year after. Nostalgia is tough.
i had the official guidebook dident really give many answers to puzzles but the tables for abilitys and stuff were nice
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 06:48:44 am »

when i first saw the tittle of this thread i assumed we would be playing games that have empty official servers we can still do that though did nintendo shut off the wii servers to or just the ds ones if they left the wii servers we could play some brawl or some monster hunter
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:52 am »

Begin looks interesting, I say, having not actually tried to play it yet.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2014, 08:02:02 am »

There are quite a few exellent games mentioned in this thread, and I'd second Tribes 2 (a game I played online only 1 I think? but I still regard it as absolute gem nonetheless) but my most selfish desire would surely be this:

Now you know what was pretty awesome? Aliens vs Predators: Gold. With 3 or more players, of course. It wasn't good with only 2, and 4 or more was ideal. It was best with an alien or aliens stalking a squad of marines, with potentially a predator thrown into the mix if there are a lot of players. (Definitely not equal numbers of each)

I think the Nostromo level was the one that had a bunch of dark caves, which was great. There was also another with buildings and a subway, which was pretty good too.

This appears to be an updated exe, but I haven't tried it yet. http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/
Yes, hundred times yes.

Just yes.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2014, 08:21:59 am »

I do have, and did play, "Alien vs Predator 2" way back when I had dial-up. Was fun playing the "every marine killed adds another to the alien side" game mode and watch the marines get picked off slowly.

I think I played a bit of "Starsiege: Tribes" but my computer wasn't good enough at the time to even think of playing singleplayer, let along multiplayer.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2014, 08:36:01 am »

Yeah, AvP2 is a good suggestion also. In all honesty it offers way more diversity than the first one - never played it myself, but class and game modes selection in multiplayer menu tells enough. But on the other hand, there's just something... enjoyably simple in AvP1's multy. It feels kinda late-90's, UT oldschools fun.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2014, 03:46:18 pm »

Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries woule be another great one, and it's free now although the group officially hosting it has dropped it totally.  We could still set up multiplayer over the Gamespy emulator.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2014, 05:42:36 pm »

Also, it seems like disproportionate effort to resurrect a multiplayer game for a single day.  Might be better to have pool of games we know people want to play and then go back to them whenever people feel like it.

That may be a good idea, although at the moment to find out what games people want to play and we will organise a game and if neccessary I will set up a dedicated server.

when i first saw the tittle of this thread i assumed we would be playing games that have empty official servers we can still do that though did nintendo shut off the wii servers to or just the ds ones if they left the wii servers we could play some brawl or some monster hunter

I think we should probably do that if they still have official servers up but I don't think we should be restricted to just games with official servers or even master servers still up. Could always use hamatchi or a similar tool and create a LAN match of some form.

Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2014, 07:40:26 pm »

A source game called "Empires".
Empires is a mod for Half-Life 2 which combines the genres of real-time strategy and first person shooter. Each team has four classes to choose from (scout, rifleman, grenadier, and engineer). Each has unique weapons and skills. One player becomes the commander by entering the team's command vehicle to build the team's base and lead his team to victory. Once your base is built up, purchase vehicles from your team's vehicle factory to open up another facet of Empires' gameplay. Vehicles can be customized with unique weapons, armor, and engines. The commander can research improvements to all aspects of vehicles such as longer range cannons, homing missiles, and armor-piercing machine gun rounds. Once your team is prepared, lead an assault into the enemy base. The enemy team is defeated when all players are wiped out with either no place to respawn or no reinforcements remaining or the team's command vehicle is destroyed.
Basicly RTS/First person. One person on each team builds the base, researches stuff and is the RTS player, everyone else is the first person player using vehicles or fighting on foot.

Was a really great game but no one seems to play it anymore. I think it is not entirely dead but it is here in Australia.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2014, 08:05:36 pm »

As a bonus, I'm still a regular on Empires, and could easily train a few people a day.
There are only 2 servers that get maybe 1-2 games of more than 20 people per day, and that's usually only on a Friday or Saturday night.

I would be wary of the community though. It's quite vitriolic most of the time. Very /b/-like, or a boiled down version of what was VN.
Though, I guess that's not very unusual among FPS games. *shrug*

Here's the development page and the Steam Store page
It's a Source mod, so requires any Source game to play, but there are several free Source games, among them TF2 and No More Room In Hell.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2014, 09:06:57 pm »

Yeah, AvP2 is a good suggestion also. In all honesty it offers way more diversity than the first one - never played it myself, but class and game modes selection in multiplayer menu tells enough. But on the other hand, there's just something... enjoyably simple in AvP1's multy. It feels kinda late-90's, UT oldschools fun.

Assuming my memories aren't in any way faulty*, and I think I keep switching between past and present tense:

I've played both in MP, and AvP 2's campaign (never did AvP Gold's campaign), but it's probably been 6-10 years since I've played either in MP? The multiplayer in AvP 2 felt nowhere near as fun to me as AvP Gold's. Personally, I think they achieved perfection in the design and play of the Alien in AvP Gold. They nerfed Predators hard too in AvP 2 - they gave them vision modes that are close-range only and literally leave you running around in thick fog, among other things. It's probably debatable whether it's better to scatter their weapons around the map as in AvP 2, or let them start with everything as in AvP Gold. AvP Gold's way makes them more like a boss, and AvP Gold's way feels more right to me as long as the player count for each species is asymmetric in favor of humans, and includes either all three species (if there are more than 5 players) or only aliens and humans, and the humans are working together.

I assume they nerfed Predators in AvP 2 because in a one-on-one game, Predators in AvP Gold would almost always win, because they could sit in one vision mode which made the species that vision mode was optimized for absurdly easy to see at a tradeoff of being largely unable to see anyone else, and gave them auto-aim at that species only, with instakill or extremely damaging (but not necessarily rapid-firing) weapons. They also have very tough armor versus stock human weapons, and have a gadget that heals them. They really are more like bosses.

So in AvP Gold, if you're playing a predator against 4+ humans and 1 or 2 aliens: You look for humans, and an alien might get you. Look for aliens, and the humans might. Flip vision modes constantly like a paranoid maniac and you might not die horribly and might be able to react fast enough to kill whoever you see before they get you. Aliens are fast as hell, though, and can instakill with their tails if they charge them up or heads if they get to point-blank range and click right on yours, and humans have a tendency to realize they're fragile and conduct hit-and-run attacks or ambushes, and call it a win if they only lose one guy taking you down, or even better, if they take you completely by surprise and lose nobody.

With aliens against humans - the way I liked to play aliens anyways - it's more like "OH FUCK THE GUY COVERING THE REAR JUST DIED! WHERE'S THE ALIEN!? THROW FLARES! *EMPTIES CLIPS FIRING INTO THE DARK* WHERE DID IT GO!??! WHY DIDN'T THE MOTION SENSOR GO OFF!? SWEET MOTHER OF GOD, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! FALL BACK! FALL BACK!"

* Human memories are pretty fallible, so I expect at least one thing in here to be inaccurate or flat-out wrong.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:09:17 pm by Shadowlord »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2014, 09:42:48 pm »

A source game called "Empires".
I really wanted to like this mod but I feel the source engine's handling of vehicles hurts it significantly, which is a shame because a large part of that game is customizing vehicles to counter enemy tech. The infantry weapons felt weak, but I don't know if that was because of the animations or my imagination or what. I also seem to remember there being a lot of wall spam on certain maps which was pretty silly.

I don't know if they've made any updates to it since I last played it, the devs seemed to kinda disappear and so i stopped playing.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just checked their website and the latest update was as recently as June. I'm definitely going to reinstall this if for no other reason than to see how much has changed and if anyone still plays.

EDIT 2: I just played a match, the vehicles seem like they all handle the same. Heavy vehicles have practically no wieght or momentum to them and can zip around the map faster than the grenadier's rocket launcher....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:32:38 pm by OzyTheSage »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2014, 04:03:28 am »

Empires sounds like Nuclear Dawn except free :P
Last time I checked, Nuclear Dawn had like one active server.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17