Empires
C&C renegade (original)
C&C Red Alert 2
OpenRA
AVP 2000 (Steam)
Mechwarrior
Medieval I total war
Shogun I total war
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War I : Soulstorm (and associated expansions)
Nation Red
Serious Sam 3: BFE (Deathmatch, CO-OP is still somewhat alive)
Warzone 2100

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Resurrect a multiplayer game for a day thread  (Read 29191 times)

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrect a multiplayer game for a day thread
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 03:07:11 am »

Jagex is currently running like 30 servers running the august 2007 version of the game, with polls on additions. Seems pretty populated.

Aren't those only for paying members who had active accounts then though?

you can access every in-game feature for free on a new account you could access for free in 2007, at the moment at least.
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 10:13:56 am »

Chromehounds, nuff said.

Also, LOTR:BFME II. Re: Emergent gameplay
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 11:37:24 am »

Having looked through some of the more popular games on this thread (or at least by my observation), I could probably run servers for A new Zero, Lord of the Rings battle for middle earth 2 (I don't have a copy yet and we would also need to be using hamatchi or something) and perhaps giants citizen kabuto. I think tribes 2 still has a few servers so we could just organise a match around them.

Please mention more. Once we have a few more suggestions I will put together a poll.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 02:02:06 pm »

We could do the Hidden. It's another source mod, in which one person is invisible, can jump around thing and cling onto objects, and have a very powerful knife and a few grenades. The rest are I.R.I.S. soldiers, who get guns, a green dot sight (Well, you can take other things instead of the dot sight, but it's considerably more useful than anything else), and backup. I don't know about running a server, but the game isn't terribly resource intensive for the clients, at least.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 02:31:52 pm »

I like a A New Zero, as well as the other Cryptic Sea multiplayer games, Sub Rosa and C:Medieval. I think they're all really easy to host.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 03:14:41 pm »

Puzzle Pirates. That was the game of my youth.

RIP in Peace  :'(
Puzzle Pirates isn't dead...

And I remember Runescape. I remember a Christmas event where everyone could go to a snow field and have snowmen battle eachother, and a haunted house with a quest that had a puzzle I couldn't solve. And an event where you could take some sort of helicopter jetpack into premium areas and I was trying to jump off...
Runescape is the game that gave me the "62" part of miauw62
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:20:04 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 03:52:18 pm »

And I remember Runescape. I remember a Christmas event where everyone could go to a snow field and have snowmen battle eachother, and a haunted house with a quest that had a puzzle I couldn't solve. And an event where you could take some sort of helicopter jetpack into premium areas and I was trying to jump off...
Runescape is the game that gave me the "62" part of miauw62

Oh man. That lever puzzle in Draynor mansion. I think many people only ever solved it because of kind players who would take them through the sequence. That was before "just look it up" became a common thing.

Even once I quit playing, I logged in for the holiday events for the year after. Nostalgia is tough.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 04:50:53 pm »

u wot m8

I know it's still technically in existance, but I looked up the player statistics for the remaining servers and they're abysmally low. <100-<600 depending on the server.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 06:07:21 pm »

u wot m8

I know it's still technically in existance, but I looked up the player statistics for the remaining servers and they're abysmally low. <100-<600 depending on the server.

How is that not alive and kicking?
Sure it's not as popular as it once was, or maybe not even in the top 10 games of it's genre, but that's a hell of a far cry from most of the games mentioned.

A dead game won't have more than a couple dozen on all servers combined. (IMO only, apparently.)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 07:52:27 pm »

u wot m8

Sure it's not as popular as it once was, or maybe not even in the top 10 games of it's genre, but that's a hell of a far cry from most of the games mentioned.

A dead game won't have more than a couple dozen on all servers combined. (IMO only, apparently.)

It's dead because a lot of them are bots, and the world is so large that you don't see anyone even with those monthly numbers.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »

Consider Sub Rosa seconded.  I've never played it but it looks like it could be crazy fun with people you know.

Edit: Also, it seems like disproportionate effort to resurrect a multiplayer game for a single day.  Might be better to have pool of games we know people want to play and then go back to them whenever people feel like it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:29:22 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 09:08:18 pm »

Sub Rosa looks neat but the world feels a bit empty and it's not really finished. Still pretty fun. Alex is making a paid version that's better but I don't think 20 dollarmoney is quite worth it especially with such a small playerbase. The original Sub Rosa should still work fine though.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 09:12:54 pm »

Posting to watch.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 10:48:45 pm »

u wot m8

It's dead because a lot of them are bots, and the world is so large that you don't see anyone even with those monthly numbers.
Even so, it's not relevant to a thread where the idea is to resurrect games that are literally unplayed. Unless Other Games secretly has 2000 people willing to go back to playing puzzle pirates full time.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 11:02:59 pm »

IMO it's as relevant as RuneScape, maybe even moreso because RS is still very active.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17