Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Heroes of Might and Magic 7  (Read 7886 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes of Might and Magic 7
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2015, 10:34:24 am »

Well, it's one of the starting skills of the Bone Guard. Interesting, but I don't see any problems with it:

Bone Guard
As patient as death itself, Bone Guards are the protectors of Heresh. Masters of Necromancy, they can raise and control Undead armies, but they also know when to negotiate the surrender of their enemies instead of killing them. Make no mistake though, when a fight to the death cannot be avoided, these heroes won’t hesitate to unleash devastating forces on their enemies.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2015, 10:36:34 am »

Necromancers have foreign relations too.  You know, to placate the uppity fleshbags while you grow your undead army and destroy their neighbors, before turning toward them.
It might also be nice to have em surrender, so you can have a farm...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2015, 10:40:48 am »

Oh for fucks sake, they're making another ? Just stop Ubisoft, you murdered this game series horribly.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2015, 10:45:35 am »

My first reaction was like yours hehe...but it looks like an upgraded HoMM 3. so far, so maybe this game won't fail. We shall see.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2015, 10:51:34 am »

My first reaction was like yours hehe...but it looks like an upgraded HoMM 3. so far, so maybe this game won't fail. We shall see.

It's always a fail when it involves U-Play.  :'(

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2015, 11:01:16 am »

Unless they actually make a map visualization that won't suck, it's not going to work very well. The main appeal of Heroes 3 for me was the adventure map where I could cleanly see everything that's on it. The same sadly cannot be said of Heroes 4 (which looked like shit on adventure map mode, because of the shitty color palette used and atrocious models), Heroes 5 (which looked like 3D shit on adventure map mode because of all the non-interactive crap that blocks the view and often looks exactly like the interactive crap, and also seriously lowered the camera down and the map sizes along with it), and Heroes 6 (which had the same issues Heroes 5 had).

Heroes 3 adventure map was both pretty and informative. Newer Heroes games have adventure map which is pretty, but not informative. It's an issue that I feel is not being clearly felt by the people making those games.

Also,

It's always a fail when it involves U-Play.  :'(
You meant "U-Don't-Play", right?
._.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2015, 11:47:50 am »

That is true....I never liked 3D in the strategy games, but for some weird reason the game devs prefer it over 2D....and now that I think about it, this is one [there are more, but those are gameplay related] of the reasons why I don't like AoW III. that much. I am not even sure that I will buy the new AoW III. expansion or not. It looks good, but I am not sure that they can fix the problems of the vanilla game. We shall see.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:49:22 am by gimli »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2015, 10:09:49 am »

That is true....I never liked 3D in the strategy games, but for some weird reason the game devs prefer it over 2D....

It's not weird at all that devs like 3D over 2D.

1. 3D is more flashy than 2D; the general public falls for that easily.
2. 2D is more expensive to make than 3D. Once you have your engine (can be bought from 3rd party), you create the model and texture, and there's software to help you animate them and easily apply all sorts of effects at run-time. With 2D sprites there's a lot of drawing.

I don't mind 3D in strategy games as long as information can be presented clearly. I think SM's Civ did it just fine. I like my adventure games 2D though. Even masterpiece like Grim Fandango has that lift puzzle that can get on people's nerves.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2015, 10:15:03 am »

Heroes 5 (which looked like 3D shit on adventure map mode because of all the non-interactive crap that blocks the view and often looks exactly like the interactive crap, and also seriously lowered the camera down and the map sizes along with it), and Heroes 6 (which had the same issues Heroes 5 had).

This articulates my problems with the last couple games. I feel like I'm playing some stupid WoW 4x game.

I remember being simply amazed at all the content in the older HoMM maps. A SP game actually managed to feel a little sandbox-y.

Later games that illusion has been completely destroyed for me, to the point the scripted-ness of the levels kills my desire to play.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:36:05 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2015, 01:42:55 pm »

That is true....I never liked 3D in the strategy games, but for some weird reason the game devs prefer it over 2D....

It's not weird at all that devs like 3D over 2D.

1. 3D is more flashy than 2D; the general public falls for that easily.
2. 2D is more expensive to make than 3D. Once you have your engine (can be bought from 3rd party), you create the model and texture, and there's software to help you animate them and easily apply all sorts of effects at run-time. With 2D sprites there's a lot of drawing.

I don't mind 3D in strategy games as long as information can be presented clearly. I think SM's Civ did it just fine. I like my adventure games 2D though. Even masterpiece like Grim Fandango has that lift puzzle that can get on people's nerves.
If the game is 2D it doesnt mean the sprites are made from drawing.
There are few way you can do 2D. You can hand draw it or you can have 3d models converted to 2d sprites
You have a good example in heroes 2 compared to heroes 3. H2 all units are hand drawn, but in H3 all units are 3d models converted in 2d sprites.

Anyway heroes 7 will be a mix of heroes 6, heroes 5 and heroes 3. The closest new heroes games to heroes 3 was heroes 5 with all expansion and it was good, especially with some mods that improved the AI
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:51:48 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2015, 01:54:59 pm »

I have one thing to say.

Microscopic???!?!??!?!?!
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2015, 02:03:56 pm »

How is this going to be an upgraded version of HoM3?

Did they ditch the most generic and boring type of fantasy imaginable that they were using? What excuse did they make to pull that off, making a prequel/remake?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2015, 02:47:17 pm »

How is this going to be an upgraded version of HoM3?

Did they ditch the most generic and boring type of fantasy imaginable that they were using? What excuse did they make to pull that off, making a prequel/remake?

When people talk about upgraded version they talk more about game mechanic/gameplay, not that much lore/story.

Heroes 7 will be a sequel  to Heroes 6 that is a prequel of heroes 5 that is prequel of dark messiah, that has nothing to do with old heroes 1-4, as it is new universe and totally different lore/story  :D.
Make love not war

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2015, 03:08:23 pm »

That's another stupid thing they've had with the new universe: not actually advancing the plot after the Dark Messiah.

There were no (that I know of) prequels in the NWC verse. Every new game was advancing the plot. And it was cool, because there was that one big continuity that had the potential for evolving into something more, because there was just that much stuff around that you could've built on for the next games.

Ashan universe doesn't have that, because i's centered around this prophecy which is basically "big bad will come" and then other people go "we will prevent the big bad from coming" and then he comes anyway. Blah.
._.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:57:06 am by gimli »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6