Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Major changes in v0.4 ?  (Read 681 times)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
Major changes in v0.4 ?
« on: August 17, 2014, 03:54:40 am »

I've been trying to figure out what the real differences are between 0.4 and latest 0.3 build.
I think I saw someone mention that goblins can climb walls for example.
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?
Are there any fatal flaws in current 0.40.08 build compared to 0.40.09 or latest 0.3 build that you would recommend me to wait untill they are fixed ?
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Major changes in v0.4 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 05:51:41 am »

Hello,

Some of the features of the new 0.40.x release are:

-Entities can now climb un-smoothed walls with some degree of success depending on skill
-The world continues to be rendered/simulated as the game goes on
-Sieges now consider the population of the sieging civ when considering the number of units to devote to the siege
-Units contributing to and lost during a siege are real units from the invading civ
-Trees are multi z-level and drop a lot more wood but regrow a lot slower
-There is a mood rewrite that was done making horrifying your opponents a valid tactic

I think one of the bigger bugs that exists between 0.40.08 and 0.40.09 is that ghosts rise from the corpses of dead invaders and cannot be put to rest. There are still some little things here and there, but nothing really game breaking

If you'd like a good gameplay experience, try 0.40.08 and embark near a few necro towers without goblins nearby and fight undead instead of living invaders to avoid the ghost bug

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 06:00:14 am »

Thank you very much this is exactly why I wanted to know  :D

Do constructed walls count as smoothed walls ? i.e. not possible to climb ?
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:08:23 am »

Depends on the material. Rough stone walls are rough, and are as climbable as anything. Block walls are much smoother, and while they're not as smooth as smooth stone, they are hard to climb.

Also, IIRC, a wall 1 z-level tall is easily climbable for more or less anyone since they can just grab the edge and clamber onto it with the next move. You want a proper wall, make it at least two levels and made of blocks.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:54:22 am »

v40 'fix it because it's not live yet' list:

Following known issues have easy solutions that you can/should apply to your own game:

Quarry bush leaves: This industry is a bit squint, you need a fix to make them processable, its floating around the modding forum. (think this is still in _08)
Nail/cartilage:  Both lack healing rates and bleed forever, give em a healing_rate:1000
Discipline: The new Disc system is great, but nothing has any natural skill in it and combat is a joke.  Natural novice on all my sentients to produce a little less 'rabbit-in-the-headlights' (natural_skill:Discipline:1 for novices, creature_standard.txt contains the sentients).  Disc still heavily impacts combat, but its a bit less 3 stooges from both sides.  Anecdotal: creatures will train their disc a bit more during worldgen if they didnt start at 0.

Climbing:
A constructed wall is not smooth unless you built it from blocks rather than stones. (has always been the case, just now matters)  They will climb your constructeds, the best is natural smoothed walls, then block constructed.  Soil and rough constructs they will climb very easily.  This makes a huge differance to your surface setups as i'm sure you appreciate.

Climbing 2-z seems much more of a challenge, they also jump moats now, they will jump a single tile happily, go for 2-wide minimums.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:00:03 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.