Yes
- 10 (71.4%)
No
- 1 (7.1%)
Wait, what?
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: IRIS: Secure, contain, pro- Wait wrong guys. (OOC)  (Read 16750 times)

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: IRIS: Secure, contain, pro- Wait wrong guys. (OOC)
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2014, 09:12:16 pm »

But Gm is god, Do you want him to specify that everything a person isn't looking at directly transforms into cheese? because he can do that.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2014, 09:13:11 pm »

But Gm is god, Do you want him to specify that everything a person isn't looking at directly transforms into cheese? because he can do that.

Yes.
Take a closer look at this text!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2014, 09:13:32 pm »

I won't though. Although, the enemy suddenly using wall hacks...

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2014, 09:15:16 pm »

on an unrelated note, an antimagic field would really suck for Ahrian, I'm pretty sure she'd be physically hurt by it if she got caught in one, being a magical creature.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:32 pm »

I can actually explains the magically flung boulder being stopped by Anti-magic field *waves hand around maniacly*

Basically:

Physics applies to the boulder as normal. Magic is only the force acting upon it. When a magi uses telekinesis or earth magic to launch a boulder at an enemy, the boulder gains a trace of the magic used to propel it. This magic would wear off eventually, but not quick enough to bypass a anti-magic field. Since the boulder would have a trace of magic acting on the boulder, due to real world physics since the magic is the force acting upon it, the Anti-magic field would black list the boulder removing the magic, and thus the force acting upon it, and the boulder would simply fall to the ground in a straightish line due to gravity being the only force applying to it now.

Tl:Dr

Magically propelled boulder hits Anti-magic field removing it's current acting force, making gravity pick up the slack and smash the boulder into the ground beneath it.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2014, 09:48:50 pm »

Physics does not work that way, Kj Sanure. The rock isn't moving due to magic when it touches the field. It's moving due to the momentum/velocity from the spell. The difference between the two is huge.

You did not explain it at all Sanure. Forces do not affect the velocity of an object. They affect its acceleration. So removing a force does not remove the velocity. They are two seperate, though related, things.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:50 pm »

Got it.
In other words:
  • Build Giant Bowl
  • Find Way To Get Boulder In Giant Bowl
  • Fling Giant Bowl, Which Happens To Contain Boulder
  • Bypass Magic Shenanigans
  • Win.

I mean, Usec still has it, but even with that explanation...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:54:46 pm by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2014, 09:51:08 pm »

Yeah... Physics aren't magic.
Even if magic made it happen, the fact that the boulder would keep moving would be beaches of physics, not magic.
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:44 pm »

The force moving the Boulder is Magic. When the antimagic field touches the boulder, the force moving the boulder is negated, due to it being magic. Physics kicks in and slams the boulder straight into the ground since the force moving the boulder towards the target was erased.

Even more basic: The boulder would have never have been thrown without the use of magic (assuming the boulder is to large to be thrown using physical force) and thus it's movement was entirely caused by magic.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:08:34 pm by Sanure »
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2014, 10:09:54 pm »

If I throw a rock, after ten feet it's not me moving the rock, it's momentum. Same concept if I used a pulse of magic.

What you and KJ want is a force nullifying field.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2014, 10:14:59 pm »

-snip-

Physics. Doesn't. Work. That. Way.

How many times do I have to keep on saying this? Magic gives the boulder a force. The force gives the boulder an acceleration. The acceleration adds to the velocity of the boulder. The velocity makes the boulder move. You take away the force you take away the acceleration, but the velocity stays the same. So the boulder keeps moving. How hard is this to understand, goddamn it?

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2014, 10:17:06 pm »

If you threw the rock, then the force acting upon it was you and only you. In this case, the forces acting upon it are momentum and gravity and weight.

If I threw a rock using magic, it was still me that threw it using magic. in this case the forces acting upon it are Momentum, gravity, and magic.

For movement to occur the forces acting upon an object must remain constant or, if a change in direct is caused, stronger than the origin of movement.

Thus, if the force acting upon an object was caused by magic and you apply a force greater than the magic, in this case Magic cancelation, the object would either change direction, or stop moving. Since the movement of the boulder thrown by magic was magic, removing the magic completely would cause a downward change in direction. It isn't canceling out the force altogether (since that would make the boulder float) but is instead changing it due to a stronger force acting upon it. it would still enter the anti-magic field, it would still be moving, but it's intended direction would change toward the ground and would no longer be directed towards the target.

@USEC, I do understand that Force makes Acceleration which makes velocity. However, Physics isn't just one sided like that. It has multiple factors which determines path, speed, weight, etc. All of these factors determine where it will go or impact. changing one changes the end result.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:21:12 pm by Sanure »

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 28, 2014, 10:29:46 pm »

No... That's not how it works man.

Things don't just stop moving if you stop pushing on them.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2014, 10:32:21 pm »

It isn't canceling out the force altogether (since that would make the boulder float) but is instead changing it due to a stronger force acting upon it. it would still enter the anti-magic field, it would still be moving, but it's intended direction would change toward the ground and would no longer be directed towards the target.

I never said the object was not moving anymore. I said it was changing direction due to a stronger opposing force acting upon it.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2014, 10:33:48 pm »

So it wouldn't be an anti magic field, it'd be a force nullification barrier.
Anything that goes through would loose all momentum.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18