Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My game doesn't save on exit (solved)  (Read 2044 times)

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My game doesn't save on exit (solved)
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:28:06 pm »

I must be missing something very obvious, but it seems I only get the sasonal autosaves.

When I exit the game it goes through lots of colourful bars for the various things it claims to save, no crashing or anything, looks as normal as it can. But I can't find the save to load when I restart the game later. Looking at the save folder in windows explorer only the "current" folder has a last modified date that matches the time I quit, but it is empty.

Playing with starter pack 40.08.r3 or whatever was the latest one at that time, world genned and fort started in 0.40.05 or 06, can't remember for sure. Seasonal saves are ON and work, backup saves too. Playing only fortress mode.

Where is my current save hiding?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:56:44 am by Rafatio »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: My game doesn't save on exit
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:44:10 pm »

In which directory did you install Dwarf Fortress?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:49:09 pm »

Somewhere on D:/Dwarf Fortress/whaterverLNPiscalledthesedays, definitely not restricted like program files. And the seasonal autosaves arrive just fine there.

Edit: Just to make that clear, I can play these autosaves, its only the "irregular" one created on quitting that is missing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:52:41 pm by Rafatio »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:43:46 pm »

Have you unzipped the file?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 08:46:35 pm »

Looking at the save folder in windows explorer only the "current" folder has a last modified date that matches the time I quit, but it is empty.
Are there other folders there? If so, check the timestamps on the files inside those folders, most notably world.dat.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 10:38:35 pm »

Did you load an autosave at some point? It'll start saving the world as the one you loaded, so you'll want to rename it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:40:16 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 04:10:33 am »

Unzipped, obviously.

Quietust did you mean world.sav? No world.dat anywhere in all of /dwarffortress/. The other saves have their world.sav and the timestamps on those match the rest of the files from that save. Its among the newer ones in its respective folder usually, but no times later than when that seasonal save was produced. The files from the autosaves have all probable looking timestamps. (I'm aware of starter pack's handy bat file copying them to the newest version resetting the time stamps and am looking at the old version where the save was originally made to check this)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I watched the empty "current" folder during saving, there is indeed a world.sav showing up there while the game saves, it grows in size, I can hear the hdd write, and when the game is done and switches to the menu the file vanishes. Didn't see all the other files appear, if they did they were probably gone again too fast.

Bumber, autosaves are all I have, short of leaving the game running day and night. So yes, of course I did. I don't care what its named as long as it is somewhere. And that timestamp looking started precisely because I can't make sense of those names, easier to determine the newest one in explorer and then select that name in the game. I need to rename last season's save in order to produce saves on exit? In which way?

If the "exit save" ever worked since starting with DF2014? Not sure honestly, took me long enough to notice I'm really going back to season start, not just imagining things.

Windows7, 150gb free on the games partition, admin rights, no changes to the game besides nail/cartilage healing, graphics applied by starter pack and some init settings, have not copied init files even between minor releases. Nothing whatsoever carried over from 0.34.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:01:48 am by Rafatio »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:09:24 am »

When you save your game, it gets written to data/save/current, and when it's done it moves it back into the original region folder from which you loaded the game, overwriting whatever was there (and it's possible that this 'move and overwrite' doesn't actually update the timestamp on the destination folder).

Incidentally, under normal circumstances you should NEVER EVER EVER load a savegame that ends with "-[season]-[year]" because those are only meant to be used for backup purposes - in your case, you should only ever load the one named "region1" or "region2".

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 08:15:43 am »

The 'Date Modified' shown by Windows Explorer for my regionX folder is always the same as my current folder, which would indicate the push back to the numbered folder is timestamping for me at least.  The only way to exit without triggering this is a process slay.

If you exited through esc-save, then you quit the game and relaunch.  The option to 'continue game' loads regionX (most recently played).  Which should be whichever one was written through current on exit, i would imagine this is actually using date modified to determine which was last current.

If you choose to load a file that you yourself select then as Quietust says you dont want the season stamped ones, but the one without any extensions, its listed first for each region and corresponds to the 'continue game' option for that region.  Seasonals are great for stepping back to before some disaster to have a go at averting it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:19:24 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 08:55:58 am »

Incidentally, under normal circumstances you should NEVER EVER EVER load a savegame that ends with "-[season]-[year]" because those are only meant to be used for backup purposes - in your case, you should only ever load the one named "region1" or "region2".

Thank you, that was the missing info. No idea what happened to my original region1 folder, but I made a new one, copied the files of the last autosave into it and loaded the game. Exiting properly updated the files in region1 and loading does what it should, NOT throwing me back to the start of autumn. Now I also understand what Bumber meant. Thanks all who helped :-)

Sounds like bug 4246 or maybe 3283, not sure if the lack of game feedback warrants reopening one of them, its a bit suggestion-y.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:25:17 am by Rafatio »