Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RPG Campaign Generation Game  (Read 1862 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
RPG Campaign Generation Game
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:05:12 pm »

Simple game, here, ripped directly from 4chan. You must run an RPG campaign based in some way on the last book you read, show you watched, and game you played. Describe the game you'll wind up with.

For instance, between Arms and Influence, Aldnoah.Zero, and Magic: The Gathering, I wind up with a surprisingly generic anime - a bunch of teenagers in mechs must resolve potentially violent international crises with matches of a children's card game. I'm not sure what system to use for this - it might require homebrew of some kind. Field effects based on political scenarios that might adjust the effects of certain outcomes (swinging back and forth between competitive and cooperative gameplay), you have special abilities based on your mech and parent nation, and perhaps use actual Magic cards for gameplay resolution. Probably a heart-of-the-cards kind of thing where you can spend heroism points or whatever to draw a particular signature card at a useful point, I dunno. More work than needs to be done in this thread, at any rate.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Campaign Generation Game
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:18:18 pm »

Between Skyrim, Rick and Morty, and A Scanner Darkly...? Fuck. This is going to be weird.

In [GENERIC FANTASY LAND], everything was good and the king ruled well and the elves were generally respecting nature and that, yo. But then dimensional travelers showed up and began pushing drugs on the naive populace. The land is now a cesspool of drug taking and gang warfare. A team of spies within the kingdom who are tasked with taking down the multidimensional drug cartels by going undercover within them. At the same time, the cartels managed to successfully bribe, threaten, and cajole certain members of the anti-drug taskforce into becoming moles for them. You are on the taskforce: will you follow the law or get a lot of money?

I imagine this campaign would be run on the Storytelling system (Simply because I know that one) but with the morality system swapped out for a law-crime spectrum. Following the law gets you the benefits of the system, allows you access to magic, and gives you the favor of the kingdom. Becoming a criminal gets you faster results, allows you access to high-tech equipment, and the favor of the drug cartels.

... You know, I might run this in my gaming group. It sounds like Paranoia but with DRUGS instead of COMMIES and a weird blend of sci-fi and fantasy. I like it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:23:11 pm »

So... Dune, Breaking Bad (it was a while ago) and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Thematically appropriate.

Concept: The players are inhabitants of a dying planet torn apart by war, pollution and other similar things, each player used to be a highly educated civilian who failed to attain high enough status to break out of the terrible living conditions they are subjected to, and each has a family of theirs to provide for as they live out their lives on a hostile world, and so they've signed up for a one-way trip to a desert planet where the precursor to the rarest, possibly most powerful drug in the entire galaxy can be found, forming their very own harvesting-refinement operation (complete with employees) to get as much of the drug precursor ("spice") as possible, refine it and sell it on the cheap, all the while trying to evade planetary conservation authorities and local psionically-gifted fauna, both of which wish to preserve the precursor and its source - a psychically resonant fungus known to induce strange visions in people who find themselves planetside - by any means necessary. Will the players succeed in making their operation profitable despite the obvious dangers they may encounter? Will they resist the allure of more money and power in the event that they do? What crazy visions and mysteries do the planet's ecosystems hold for the intrepid rogue drug entrepreneurs? Stay tuned to find out, for we are about to make PLANETFALL!

System: d6 plus stats and exploding dice, 'cause that's the only one I need, baby.

Fun: possible, with further thought devoted to the setting and other things.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:24:47 pm by Harry Baldman »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:31:33 pm »

book you read, show you watched, and game you played
I'm not gonna append "to completion" to mine because otherwise I'd get into a discussion about BC vs BCE.

With that in mind:

Book: Your avatar. I'm counting decent stretches of suggestion game as a book for this purpose. Plus, if I were going by literal, physical book, that'd be Book Four of Game of Thrones.
Show: Faceoff, I think. The SyFy makeup show thingy.
Game: DF, of course.

So... uh... you're hardboiled magical girls trying to get a fortress up and running by creating magical abominations for your dark masters. The game would be split between the more noir-y mystery/crapsack elements and the far hammier wizard/judgement by your dark master segments, likely with some more top-level strategy and the like because I can't resist and it'd give additional weight and room for catastrophe to your design segments.

As an advance warning, I have literally run at least half of this game already.

For system I could go a lot of ways, but I'm currently obsessing over a d20 with six weighted result brackets, so that'd make a good fit here. This is just begging for some kind of sanity/cool/stress system, something to make sure you're drinking hard and not entirely certain you saw that flicker over there, but I'm not sure how exactly it'd go. Otherwise I'd want it to be fairly fluff-heavy, but I'd probably want something pretty crunchy for the combat system so people know exactly why they were now bleeding out. Alternatively I could just let the game pretend it was a lot more brutal than it was, and let players story their way out of a lot of stuff, possibly paying for it in other ways ("While you were decorating my couch, Sparklehook made her move...").

In short, it'd be exactly the kind of game I'm liable to make anyway. I'm not sure what that says about who or what.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 04:40:46 pm »

I've been playing Rome: Total War as Sarmatia, reading Cosmos, playing 40k, and watching the Colbert Report. So that'll be interesting.

The year is four hundred eight six fifty five point three. America is ruled by the tyrannical dictators known as Hannibal's Legion. Under their rule, democracy has been stripped away and the post-scarce autocracy has ruled for countless centuries. Spurred by Augustus' harsh decrees, we have turned our eyes to the majesty of the cosmos, and riding the infinite plane of the knowledge which the scientific method makes accessible to us, we have conquered the stars, our achievements of technology allowing for the crossing of the unfathomable stellar void in instants. But all this time we have not been free, for the chaos-worshipping Legion controls all the Empire of Man. This changes now, on this day. You are simple marines, serving with the Dark Angels chapter known as the Fist of Truthiness, on the windswept and remote planet of Gava Yazyga, under the command of Captain Aleksandr Julianos. Your band have come together today, after many years of training with the jetbikes which are central to your existence, because you have at last become freed from the grip of your own ignorance and, your mental restrainment implants having been shorted out by a mysterious surge of warp energies, you may begin planning the insurrection that will reclaim the galactic empire that is your forsworn birthright.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 04:48:12 pm »

Let's see... I think that warrants Chrono Trigger, the Hobbit, and, um, Batman. The cheesy 60s one.

This is going to be funny as hell.

The campaign would involve the players being either midgets, midgets with beards, or old guys of normal height (also with beards) who can shoot fire out of large sticks, all in the year 1000. The world is in turmoil, because some guy called The Joker is trying to summon Lavos, a giant sea urchin or something that will end the world in 1999. The players have to travel through time to try and stop The Joker, using their innate midgety or beardy powers and gaining new ones (like scaling walls with absolutely miniscule grappling hooks and making their fists sound exactly like rocks when they punch people) along the way.

System: Cortex Plus, baby. Never heard of it? Too bad.

Fun: Most definitely. Assuming that the players like Tolkien, if Tolkien was a Japanese game designer with a penchant for making campy stuff.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 04:56:23 pm »

So...

Sword Art Online (Yes, they were books first, not Anime OR Manga), MASH, and Dota 2?

So the players were just trapped in a virtual reality game, were death is permanent, and it happens to be based in the Vietnam War era. When the players aren't being docotrs, joking with eachother, or trying to grind levels and skill levels, they fight to get through 100 floors of Dota based combat in 49v49 hero combat with creeps and towers on both sides in ever changing maps... of 3-7 lanes with forests and team tactics a must!
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:25:50 pm »

Game - Rome: Total War, Read - Pact by Wildbow, Show - RWBY.

Let's see ..

The setting is a world very much like the Roman Republic, complete with political backstabbery. Magic is real, and powerful Others (evil spirits, The Fair Folk, demons capable of erasing victims from existence, mega-spirits playing at gods, etc) stalk the Earth. Most barbarian tribes are safe by ancient protections granted to those who are ignorant of magic, despite malign meddling and the occasional death by those who inadvertently insult an Other. A few tribes have learned to bind and use these forces. By-and-large, the Romans have not, and use of magic is taboo.

Rome has recently discovered the powers of Dust, which enable baseline humans to permanently empower themselves enough to directly combat Others. In these early days of its discovery, alchemically refining Dust is expensive, and very few can afford enough to enhance themselves, let alone use to use Dust-granted powers. None-the-less, Dust represents a grave and sudden threat to the balance of the world (One where humans are prey). The ancient protections are unraveling, at least where Rome is concerned. The Republic is in serious danger of being cut up and destroyed piecemeal within two dozen years, even discounting their rivals and in-fighting.

The players are some the first to be upgraded by Dust. Their first mission would be to investigate a border town being visibly threatened by Others - Probably a band of dream-stalkers who messily kill anyone they 'kill' in dreams, while the rest of the town cannot get any rest from sleep. From there they'd try to stall the destruction of the Republic, foil the plots of the Not-Carthaginians, defend those studying Dust, and try to expand Dust mining/refining operations. Naturally, senators would be very easy to alienate, and then they'd have old politicians trying to send them on suicide missions. It would be possible for the players to secretly learn magic and become practitioners, for even more power.

This is pretty tempting.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 06:53:39 pm »

Hmm....
Last book I read that I remember was Tales of Ten Worlds, for the second or so time, I think? It was propably something else, but it's been a while since I read a book, so let's go with that.
Last show I watched was Ice Road Truckers, IIRC.
Last game I played was Space Station 13.
This'll be....interesting.

Concept: You are one of the crewmembers onboard Space Truck Designation 13, a large cargo ship built to resemble the ancient cargo vehicle used on the distant planet of Earth-1, and are employed by Nanotrasen, the largest corporation in your sector. Of course, you are not the only cargo ship employed by Nanotrasen, and must race and compete to make your deliveries before the other ships, lest you not earn money. On the way, you must be wary of the various hazards in the sector, such as meteor showers and the like. Of course, there are also rumors of "The Syndicate", a ruthless group bent on destroying Nanotrasen for reasons unkown. To this end, they have recruited many people, who are said to go undercover and work for Nanotrasen, stealing tech or killing high profile people. There are even myths of heavily armed agents being sent onboard facilites or ships and nuking them. Beyond that, there are rumors of various aliens, like Changelings, creatures capable of mimicking humanoids perfectly, alongside several other abilites. Then there are the Xenomorphs, humanoids who leap upon their targets with great strength and agility and impregnate them to create more of their race, in a perpetual cycle. Then, there are even stranger rumors, of Cults capable of calling upon their god and converting more to their cause with runes of power, or of Wizards of great power, capable of shooting flames, teleporting themselves great distances in but a moment, or even transforming their targets into various creatures. Of course, these are just the most basic of hazards faced by everyday cargo ships in the sector. Make it to your destination, or die trying, as they say. Just remember that any damage done is coming out of your paycheck.

So in conclusion, basically just a game about delivering cargo before your rivals while avoiding and taking care of trouble. Basically set in a crapsack universe. Would certainly be interesting.

System: Pretty much anything would do, but something like a RTD or similarly simple and flexible would propably be the best choice.

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 07:09:28 pm »

So, Arifureta (light novel), King Author's Gold (indie computer game), and MLP: FIM (I don't watch a lot of tv shows. At least it wasn't Big Bang Theory).

In this setting, kingdoms often fight each other for gold. Fighters are classified as either [Melee], [Ranged], or [Construction], although the latter is often discriminated against for a lack of offensive power.

In desparation, the blue kingdom summons normal people from other universes, who after teleportation somehow suddenly gain some strange power. Many of them are very overpowered, and eventually reach the peak of mortal powers. Unfortunately, the players, aside from having the combat ability of average people, get some "useless" powers, such as the power to enhance ranged attacks with 'friendship'. However, as the players advance through the game while participating in Castle Vs. Castle sieges, they begin to realize not only that the Harmony abilities are way more overpowered than any old-fashioned invincibility, but also that the blue kingdom (and everyone else, really) doesn't understand the concept of human rights. Also, if they don't make all of humanity into friends in order to activate the Elements of Harmony and cast 11th level Magics, the undead from hell are going to kill everyone.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 07:28:26 pm »

So.... Mort, Aldnoah Zero, and Battle for Wesnoth?

Several generations before, the people of a unified Disc of Wesnoth begun to colonize A'tuin's shell. These Shellan colonies broke away from Wesnoth once they acquired ancient technology left behind by an unknown Shellan civilization that used special mechs which drew power from loose souls, destroying them before they could arrive at their final destination. To maintain order, Death has recruited a posse of apprentices to defeat the Shellans and restore balance.

The players take the role of Death's apprentices and engage in hex-based tactical combat that involves frustrating RNGs against the Shellan Super Mechs. They can build their character from any of Wesnoth's factions and thus gain access to different abilities / supporting units based on their choices.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 10:35:43 pm »

1984; Hotline Miami; Breaking Bad
Hell yeah.

In a dystopian society ruled officially by The Party, and more subtly, the group calling themselves 50 Blessings. You are a man being threatened to sell cheap drugs, alcohol and other contraband to the poorest. But as you do the dirty work of your secretive, new boss, you overhear rumors of a revolution led by a man named Heisenberg. You quickly assess the situation, and become the sole reaper of the organisation ********....

System would be d20 with no overshoot.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 01:41:20 am »

The Racketeer (Grisham Thriller), LoGH (Space Opera), War Thunder (PvP Warplane Simulator)
So we have shrewd exploitation of laws, an Inter-Galactic War between two and a half factions, and fly One-Man Space Fighter Crafts.

Huh. I.. can work with this. Let me present you with;

Die Galaktische Landsknecht Squadron

Plot
Setting
Having explored and colonized much of their home galaxy, the human race finds themselves to be the lone sentient species therein, and still very much plagued by their own infighting. Fleeing from the tyranny of The Galactic Empire, the Free Planet Alliance is established on the other side of the milky way. A good hundred years thereafter, they are rediscovered by the unprepared empire, and war is started. 150 years later, the forces are at a standstill, the two bottlenecks between them held by an empirial planetary fort, and a neutral dominion of the empire - Phezzan. Only the former is contested, with the later dominion war mongering and indebting both sides to further their own goals. As they can travel freely within both domains, most of their economy is based on trade, while their politicans make full use of gaining from the war with scrupellous trading of favours, military secrets and funding. Using this diplomatic ambiguity, the Landsknecht Squadron is a phezzani mercenary band. Both factions use them in warfare, removing or protecting corruption within their ranks, and more.. sensitive matters. Their payment ranges from vast sums of money, to state of the art technology and military secrets.

Factions Proper:
The Galactic Empire
The people are pressured into a prussian-esque autocratic caste system. King, High Courtiers, Lower Nobility, Military Nobility, Peasants, Slavery, you name it. Laws are draconic, and very much in favour of anybody but the commoners. While bigger and stronger than the Free Planet Alliance, corruption runs rampant, as incompetent nobles are placed in high military positions due to lineage alone.

The Free Planet Alliance
Governed by populistic politicians, the people are either swept up in politics, or disillusioned by them. The economy is hanging by a tight string, as the troops are forced into a defensive position. Politicans are more interested in lining their own pockets, than helping the war effort, while the people are often only supportive of it because the other choice would be slavery under the empire, instead of lofty ideals preached by those who stay far off from the front lines.

The Dominion of Phezzan

By most standards, the most free and sophisticated human society. Somehwat devoid of morals, most value coin and contract as superior, but are not above faulting either side for their own gain. The Landsherr governing it all, is a minor imperial noble, and non hereditary to boot. No one expects true loyalty of him towards the king, albeit anything more than scheming is bound to have consequences.

Gameplay
Mission Phase
The Players choose the next task they are willing to undertake, which armaments to take, and their plans for the mission.

Combat Phase
The Players control their fighters on the field of battle, over the course of multiple turns the outcome is decided.

Reward Phase
Based on the previous result, the players are rewarded. Should they fail, favour, or anger one of the factions too much, they also might get repercussions.

Downkeep Phase
The Fighters are repaired, upgraded and similiar. The Player Characters are given time to rp, and a wide variety of possible actions.

Game System
D20, with various boni given by equipment and upgrades of the fighters. The Combat Operations are the most roll-heavy part of the game, and quite intrinicately crafted to boot. The other phases are - in contrast - far rp heavier, but also partly decisive for said combat phase.

~

Well now, planning a game is always fun. Still, I... actually might run such a thing, were I not busy with my actuall games already. I once did something similiar, albeit it was far more open world, and single character suggestion, and had my fun with it. Untill I lost the data for it, that is.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 01:55:01 am »

You must run an RPG campaign based in some way on the last book you read, show you watched, and game you played. Describe the game you'll wind up with.
Book you read: Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.
Show you watched: PMMM.
Game you played: DDO.

So the players are a bunch of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
magical girls who solve people's problems by going on D&D 3.5E quests/adventures to kill Witches, all the time bickering and complaining about their terrible Charisma scores and dumped Diplomacy stats, though they pumped out some of the other interaction state (Intimidate, Bluff).
That actually works. Huh.
(I know what I want to DM now)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:57:53 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 08:00:18 pm »

New one.
Book: HP Lovecraft's Herbert West: Reanimator.
Show: Leverage.
Game: Super Mario 3D Land.

Hoo boy.

Alright, so. The players play as plumbers with incredible jumping skills using their abilities to take down the rich and powerful (who are also undead maniacs).

That sounds fun.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: [1] 2