Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 0.40.x-0.40.8 : Rnd problem building walls on walls  (Read 1185 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
0.40.x-0.40.8 : Rnd problem building walls on walls
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:31:49 am »

So, I was stupid enough to start a megafort on first release of 0.40, which I've carried through to 0.40.8  (So this is likely the cause of this problem.)

Anyway, I built a stockade of wooden walls, on top of which I ran a ring of fortifications & floors for my archers.  With earlier versions I had a problem where if I cancelled/suspended a fortification build it'd be miraculously replaced with a fortification made of the same material as the wall directly beneath...  which I could not deconstruct, remove or change in any way.

Fortunately, later builds fixed this.

Now I have what I think is a related problem...  with building walls on top of walls. 

In particular, I have two squares in which I cannot build, the job always being cancelled with "creature occupying square" msgs.  The builders are NOT the culprits; they're standing in adjacent squares.  I've even built alternative floors for them to work from and (r)estricted the original 'standing spot.'

I've also removed all nearby constructions in the X, Y & Z axis, then rebuilt them only to have the exact same problem.

Experimenting, I found I could build up/down stairs above, below and in the problematic square(s).  I can even build fortifications there; apparently it's only walls that will not construct in these spots, even after deconstructing aforementioned stairs/forts/whatever.

Of course, for the sake of OCDness I have to have walls there...  ::)

Any suggestions or ideas as to what could be causing this?

(Besides starting a new megafort, that is!  ;D
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: 0.40.x-0.40.8 : Rnd problem building walls on walls
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:35:59 am »

This is a bug from 40.07. Making a new world and starting a new fort is the way to go. There might also be more bugs that have carried over that you haven't found yet.

Remember that until Toady declares DF2014 to have reached a stable version, you shouldn't get your hopes up about having a long-running fortress.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:59:21 am »

did you try cancelling the construction of the square they suspended it, then re-designating it?

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 01:03:49 am »

did you try cancelling the construction of the square they suspended it, then re-designating it?

Numerous times.  As I said earlier, I can cancel the wall, build something else there, deconstruct that and yet still be unable to succesfully build a wall there.

This is a bug from 40.07. Making a new world and starting a new fort is the way to go. There might also be more bugs that have carried over that you haven't found yet.

40.07?

Huh.  Must've been when it was first reported...  or hidden by other, older bugs.  'Cos 40.07 is the one version I didn't DL; by the time I'd realised there was an update to 40.06 Toady had already released 40.08!   :D

And there are doubtless other bugs I haven't encountered yet. 

I wonder if DFHack has a plugin to highlight a square and reset it to a virgin, empty state?
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 08:36:22 am »

I wonder if DFHack has a plugin to highlight a square and reset it to a virgin, empty state?
In a way, it does - what you're probably running into is the same bug that makes doors get stuck open, and "fix/stuckdoors" can fix it (though you'll have to build a door on the tile first, since while there is a script for fixing item occupancy for all map tiles, there isn't a similar one for fixing unit occupancy).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.