Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So an elven caravan was jumped by kobolds...  (Read 1010 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So an elven caravan was jumped by kobolds...
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:55:04 pm »

They got the pack animal being used to haul goods but the elves seem to have made it away alive (one may have gone down in the chaos, not sure).

So I'd really like to know how race relations work so I can decide how to proceed. How do elves/humans take it when their caravans are killed? Does it change things if they only lost a pack animal? Or just one merchant's life? What about the entire caravan getting taken out?

And does it matter if it's you who did the killing?

If the elves will take this badly then I'll go ahead and make use of the goods they left behind (since they aren't just free by happenstance), but if they won't care at all that their caravan was assaulted and half butchered on my lands then it feels like cheating to be using said goods.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:56:35 pm by TheFreshPrince »

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So an elven caravan was jumped by kobolds...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:59:28 pm »

The stuff is yours now, so go grab it. Don't worry about the dead elfs. It was an accident. Right?

Not like when it was late summer and there were still 2 elf merchants in the trade depot. The soldiers attacked them and killed them, and their little yaks too. Next spring, elf caravan still arrived.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:28:49 am »

Usually you get blamed if the elves lose part of the caravan, whether it was actually you or if it was a thralled giant sponge. If it's a total loss then the news won't get out and they'll keep sending merchants for a long time.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 02:53:43 am »

So remember, if the kobolds get one of the elves, be sure to send your soldiers out to kill the rest, so word doesn't get out that your fort isn't safe. You've got a reputation to maintain, and killing anyone who escapes from the kobolds is the best way to do that.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 03:40:20 am »

Unless things have changed in this version, you will be blamed for the kobold attack. You may suffer an Elven siege but it is actually not that likely.

On the bright side, with the nerfing of ranged weapons, the elves are less dangerous than kobolds. They are by FAR the weakest race in the game now. The only possible threat they could pose is if they show up mounted. So long as they are unmounted, even a couple of proficient millitary dwarves in full armor should be able to take out the whole siege.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 04:01:34 am »

Unless civs' accounting has changed massively, caravans coming to harm are accepted as risk of the profession for the most part. While relations with a civilisation suffer when their merchants are killed, robbed or taunted with wood, the risk of full-out hostilities is quite small. In .34.11, people commonly failed to start a war with the elves in spite of systematic merchant-abusal over multiple years.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 04:58:43 am »

Unless civs' accounting has changed massively, caravans coming to harm are accepted as risk of the profession for the most part. While relations with a civilisation suffer when their merchants are killed, robbed or taunted with wood, the risk of full-out hostilities is quite small. In .34.11, people commonly failed to start a war with the elves in spite of systematic merchant-abusal over multiple years.

So you mean I'll still get more elven caravans despite the endless robbing and slaughter? *sigh* I guess they can keep taking my old clothes
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together