Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: (RPG) Pokemon Tabletop United: Sandmen  (Read 5779 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
(RPG) Pokemon Tabletop United: Sandmen
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:14:45 pm »

Pokemon: Sandmen

You awaken with a start, in the middle of a clearing, somewhere in the woods. The full moon hangs high above you, and below you lies soft ground dotted with your scattered possessions and Pokeballs. Last you knew you were sound asleep in your own bed, but what you see, hear, feel, and smell now is far too vivid to be a dream.

A shape appears against the moon, and begins to descend in your direction. It is something between a bird and a reptile, with two forelimbs, unnaturally smooth skin, and wings made out of lunar rainbows. Something deep within your mind informs you that you are now in the presence of the Lunar Pokemon, Cresselia, Guardian of Dreams.

“Greetings, my Child.” The Legendary Pokemon begins, “You were destined to die in your sleep tonight, but fortune smiled upon you. I am recruiting.”

A silver feather, made seemingly out of moonlight is projected in front of you.

“Touch this,” Cresselia explains, “and you will become on of my sleepless sandmen, destined to wander the earth, explore the dreams of man and Pokemon, guard against the mischief of Darkrai, further your own ambitions, and aid the legendary beings I have formed alliances with as you see fit. Remain still, and I shall return you to your bed, dreams, and fate.”

How can you refuse an offer like that? You reach out, touch the feather, and are suddenly struck by a blinding flare of light! As the environment fades, Cresselia offers the following parting thought: “I have chosen others for this role as well. It may be wise to stick together. Tough times may await…”

---

You awaken once more, for the last time ever. You are at a well maintained campsite on a rocky beach, and several others are with you. Knowledge, previously unavailable to you, flows through your head and bangs against your normal thoughts; The knowledge of how to visit, protect, or exploit the dreams of others, a basic understanding of the politics of legendary pokemon, and the fact that you have seemingly been camping with these people, your fellow Sandmen, for several days on the shore of Fullmoon Island, and that a ferry will arrive shortly to transport you all back to Canalave City in Sinnoh.

What is This?

Sandmen is a Pokemon Tabletop United campaign that will be played on maptools version 1.3.b89. It will run evening/nights Pacific Time, but the exact days on which we will play are still up in the air. It will be an open world game, and the party will be free to pursue whichever plot threads and ambitions that they see fit. The game starts in Sinnoh, but any location depicted in a main series Pokemon Game, one of the Pokemon RPGs for Gamecube, or a Pokemon Ranger game is considered cannon for this campaign, and can be visited.

The interesting thing, and main selling point, about this campaign is that the party will have the ability to enter and explore dreams, where they will have special powers and face unpredictable challenges.

Character Creation:

-Trainer Level Three
-Two level 15 Pokemon. No legends or Pseudo Legends. Most single stagers are also disallowed.
-10k In Starting Funds. You may spend 1k Pokeyen during character creation only to give your starter one of its listed egg moves; You may only do this once per starter.
-Choose any two feats and/or edges as dream powers. Dream powers are only usable in the dream world. You starting dream powers may not have an Expert Ranked skill, or any other feat and/or edge that requires an Adept Rank or higher Skill, as a prerequisite. See the homebrew mechanics page for more information.
-Write a good backstory for your character, and keep an eye on the sheets of other players present. Quality of the Backstory is the major factor in deciding who I let in, and I also don’t like having characters with redundant builds.
-Include what times you are available to play on the same post as your sheet.

Homebrew Mechanics:

Dreams

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dream EXP and Dream Powers

Instability and Corruption

Resting and Refreshing

Dream Fragments

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:20:58 pm by Weirdsound »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (RPG) Pokemon Tabletop United: Sandmen
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 04:57:07 pm »

I know this has some interest, due to PMs and other channels of communication, but I shall bump it none the less. Might as well reserve a post as well.

Professor Anise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:12:32 pm »

I guess I'll formally announce interest now - workin' on finishing up my sheet and backstory!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:14:23 pm »

Y'know... You seem to be a good GM.

While I won't make any massive promises, I'll throw my hat into the ring! I'm making a sheet up as I type this; a Martial Artist Archetype. We'll see how it goes!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »

Y'know... You seem to be a good GM.

While I won't make any massive promises, I'll throw my hat into the ring! I'm making a sheet up as I type this; a Martial Artist Archetype. We'll see how it goes!

Have I reached the point where my reputation precedes me?

Day made. Thanks for trying one way or the other.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 03:34:15 pm »

Well... It's more or less that I looked through some of your old exploits! You seemed to have been putting a good, quality effort into your work, so I'm willing to take a chance!

Here is my entry regardless!

Spoiler: Shin Ji (click to show/hide)

I can generally play around 6:00PM, Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Time differences sort of dictate me though. When I say 6:00PM, I am really about 9:00 PM where I live. I don't mind having to stay up till about 11:00 PM though. I'll also be heading back for college soon and things could get wonky.

Also, do I create the sheets for my two starters or do you give them to me at random?

EDIT: Bah. I was typing up a more complete bio but posted early. I'll be editing this.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:13:03 am by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 03:56:20 pm »

Yeah. Get sheets up for your mons.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 04:01:02 pm »

PTU, cool, Weirdsound, cool, let's do this... Consider me interested enough to pop up a sheet.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:04:02 pm by Powder Miner »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 05:32:02 pm »

Well... Here is Shin's Pokémon!

Kobushi!

Rokku!

Kobushi is a Machop of the Adamant Nature, a born fighter and proud of it. He's a front man through and through and perhaps a bit more passionate about fighting than his master.

Rokku is a Geodude with a Lax nature, more prone to wanting to mope around lazily than fight. He's more conservative than his fellow Machop, and only really fights if he has to.

The two don't really like each other all that much.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:39:31 am by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Professor Anise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 07:39:03 pm »

here is my sheet; more bio stuff will be edited in when I have a chance to run it by Weirdsound first.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 08:16:56 pm »

Hmm...

Sylveon is an evolved Pokémon as opposed to a starter, so I'm not certain if you would be able to start with it. Eevee though, if you still want to get a Sylveon, would not be a bad alternative.
BIRDS.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 08:35:22 pm »

I was talking to her on Skype. The thing is, there is nothing stopping somebody from starting with an evolution item and just popping it as soon as the game starts. I am going to ask that you use Eevee's movelist through level 14 if you haven't already.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 08:38:40 pm »

I think I'll stick around to watch and read logs/forum turns, though I don't think I'll be able to play.

Professor Anise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 09:12:54 pm »

I was talking to her on Skype. The thing is, there is nothing stopping somebody from starting with an evolution item and just popping it as soon as the game starts. I am going to ask that you use Eevee's movelist through level 14 if you haven't already.

Sure thing! I'll swap 'em out all quicklike.

edit: And swapped Fairy Wind for Baby-Doll Eyes; all done.

editx2: To clarify, I myself assumed that I'd have to wait to evolve my starter Eevee, but Weird told me that wasn't the case, so.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:37:03 pm by Professor Anise »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:57 am »

Makes sense. ^.^

Welcome aboard!
BIRDS.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6