Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Prisoners  (Read 1187 times)

Megawott06

• Bay Watcher
  • A dorfy Dewott.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Prisoners
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:53:35 pm »

I had a recent goblin siege (in spring in my fortress second year) that consisted of 1 goblin and 9 dwarves.
I managed to capture the goblin and 8 of the dwarves (the last one managed to flee from the map) in a few cage traps.
I'm now wondering, what can I use these dwarf prisoners for? I'm already gonna use the goblin as live practice for my militia
but I'm not sure if I can do the same with the dwarves.
I would appreciate some ideas. :)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Prisoners
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:56:55 pm »

They are enemies; members of the goblin civ.

You could keep them on display, or drop them down a hole.  A fitting end for a dwarf is to die after colliding with a dining room table.  Or you could shoot them.  Or chain them up in the caverns.

They are P.O.W.s.  You could treat them as such, and try to re-integrate them into dwarven society with nice cells.

I find it entirely funny (read: odd) that Toady has decided dwarves were these rather noble and lawful beings with no real desire for torture and yet DF players are clearly some of the most sadistic and complex gamers around.

---

Do note that if you decide to chain them up that I do believe anything hostile to them that is not a member of your fort will attack them.  The diplomat will, traders will, etc.

---

pps:  Must try new experiment.  chain an animal up by a bridge, when it is over the bridge, retract it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:59:22 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 03:02:52 pm »

Test to see if they eat and drink please. Normally only gobbos have [noeat] [nodrink] tags so you got a great opportunity for some science.

senilking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:12:42 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:02:57 am by senilking »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:27 pm »

Do the enemy dwarves have any dwarven skills?

As members of an enemy civ, they'll only have skills allowed in that civilisation. You can't see those skills, however - non-fort units don't get their skills (and ratings) displayed, they'll only get a profession name after their highest military skill.

I wonder how long until slaves are implemented? Or true torture? Or just being able to attempt to reintegrate them into your society? I mean, they switched civs all the time, why can't we try to rescue them back?

Excerpt from the dwarven entity .raws:

[ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL]

What does this tell us (apart from the fact that most overseers are elves or goblins)?
Probably that we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for implementation of slavery and torture as features of the game proper in fort mode.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:54:24 pm »

pps:  Must try new experiment.  chain an animal up by a bridge, when it is over the bridge, retract it.
While I've never done it, I assume the animal will fall. The chain has always been described to me as stopping the will to move out of its range, but entirely capable of being pushed / falling further.

They may technically be dwarves, but they are pretty much goblins. I say let them die. Preferably as military training, or FB fodder. Or death by magma, thats what I would do. Or you can mod in liquid extracts that kill on contact, and boil between cooler underground ambient air, and floors heated by magma underneath, allowing you to produce gas chambers. Bonus points if its a common extract elves would bring (but would activate under the sun, killing them). Really, just be creative.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 12:10:57 am »

Snow White Goblin and the eight dwarfs should put on a floor show in your dining hall. It will be fabulous!

You could put them in cages or build them a special mini room with windows. Nothing can possibli go wrong.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 01:27:32 am »

Not really on topic, but what the hell is with people and wanting torture/slavery in the game?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

HenAi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 01:56:36 am »

Not really on topic, but what the hell is with people and wanting torture/slavery in the game?

Just take a look at the quotes in your signature.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 02:04:00 am »

Mr. Murdoc, you just got owned hard.

Anywho, @ the OP, I suggest dreaming up whatever the most dwarfy deaths are for them. Not necessarily traumatic or painful, just dwarfy. No two the same. You're doing them a kindness - they were robbed of their species identity in life, let them refind their true souls and brethren in death. Cave-ins, magma flooding, GCS, the classic gamut.  Sort of like the unknown soldiers thing they do for U.S. wars.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Anathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 12:17:14 am »

You'll need a very deep drop, into very hard stone, or very hot magma. You cannot remove Goblin taint from them. This death is more noble.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 01:16:17 pm »

You'll need a very deep drop, into very hard stone, or very hot magma. You cannot remove Goblin taint from them. This death is more noble.
What about very sharp spikes?
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 03:52:23 am »

While I've never done it, I assume the animal will fall. The chain has always been described to me as stopping the will to move out of its range, but entirely capable of being pushed / falling further.

No the animal will still be attached to the chain and hang in the air. I can't quiet remember if they die or get injured from it.

senilking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:37:57 am »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:02:09 am by senilking »