Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trees: What happened?  (Read 806 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trees: What happened?
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:37:15 pm »

So I've been away for a spell but got the new version today.  Got my party set up. 

First thing I notice is some new tiles.  I look at them, they are tree "branches".  HUH?

Then I see the normal "O" tiles for "trees".  I designate an area for tree cutting.  About five minutes go by while I'm digging out my first rooms.  And my treecutter hasn't moved his fanny one inch. 

So the "O" are highlighted for cutting.  But I "look" at them and they are "stumps".  HUH?

So how do I differentiate between stumps and trees?  (Keep in mind I haven't cut a single tree yet.)  Are there actual "growing" seasons for trees now?  I need wood and I'm "stumped" (pardon the pun).
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trees: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:41:26 pm »

Trees are multi tile now bra 8). Also cowardice is pandemic  :-\.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 02:51:46 pm »

OK...not sure what the second part of that meant.

So they are multi-level.  That's great.  How do I cut trees down for wood?

I've gone through all the levels looking at a single tree. 
Level 1 (top) says tree twigs
Level 2-4 says tree branches
Level 5-6 says tree trunk.
Level 7+ is underground with no mention of a tree.
Level 0 and higher is "open" and no mention of a tree.

I've set "Cut Tree" designation on every level, branches and trunks.  Still no movement from my wood cutter.  He is listed as "no job".
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:00:42 pm »

You want to cut the ground level of the trunk. Trees will fall and drop logs, the woodcutter will dodge but it's best to have him be isolated as the falling trees can be deadly. I assume you got axes and labor set up but it's the kinda thing I just gotta mention as a matter of course.

You seem to be only able to designate a single tile of a tree for cutting at a time. This could be what happened.

Oh and you will see the cowardice happen when the enemies arrive. Discipline is new for 40.x. and almost everyone is a coward now. I was trying be cryptic beforehand so I didn't spoil  :-X.

Hopefully you can slay the trees :).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:03:19 pm »

The new personality reworks in the 2014 versions currently result in any non-hardened creature to flip its shit after seeing a dead body or an armed enemy.  Yes, I said creature.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 03:16:38 pm »

You got me Yahg.  Thanks.  I said it had been a while since I've played.  I inadvertently sold BOTH axes instead of just one.  "Doh! :P

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:41:40 pm »

You want to cut the ground level of the trunk. Trees will fall and drop logs, the woodcutter will dodge but it's best to have him be isolated as the falling trees can be deadly.

I've not seen a single injury related to tree-felling yet.  But I concede that it might be possible, if you cut down tree #1 and some of its logs get lodged in the branches of tree #2, and then you cut down tree #2 and the logs from #1 fall onto nearby critters.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 03:45:43 pm »

I've lost at least one woodcutter to treefelling.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 03:52:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It does seem to have gotten a lot better since 40.01, but the paranoia has already steeped into my playing habits and I only cut trees that are not near my people pets or ponds (since they sink atm and you gotta drain the pond to get at em :) )