Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When is a goblin civ considered extinct?  (Read 1046 times)

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When is a goblin civ considered extinct?
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:51:16 am »

My goblin neighbors still appear on my neighbors list and we are at war. I have not received a siege in years so I decided to check them out in the legends viewer.

It turns out, my dwarf civ attacked and took over 4 out of 6 of their caves, which is the complete opposite of what usually happens. Their civ is still listed and have a goblin master (a random dwarf executed their original demon master). The legends viewer however, doesn't list their population anymore so I think they are all wiped out (other goblin civs have their populations clearly listed in the legends viewer, all 0-site goblin civs does not).

Do I need to abandon my fort because goblins sieges wont come anymore? I don't want to play without sieges again, I already played DF with the no-siege bug long enough.

EDIT: I retired the fort, and checked my fort area. No more goblin neighbors  :'(. The goblin civ seems to be alive, but I'm apparently out of range.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:17:19 am by clownwolf »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When is a goblin civ considered extinct?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:14:35 am »

Theres a limit to how far stuff will travel across the worldmap to get to you.  There was a frontpage thing about it, or something...patch note?

Anyway... as i recall, for the latest versions

30 local area tiles (middle window) is how far stuff travels apparently, 10 for Towers. 

It doesnt count just that they have a valid path of some kind like it used to, they gotta be in your neck of the woods. (makes sense, what kind of general examines all the threats to the kingdom and picks one 3 continents away?)

So my guess is your neighbouring sites ran out of goblins (since invaders now draw from site pops), and the other goblins are too far away to be bothered with you.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:16:50 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:33:21 am »

Yeah my civ ended up kicked them out of range. If I move up 6 squares up from my Tundra fort, the site will be accessible by goblins again. I got a grand total of two sieges before their last closest dark fort got conquered.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any hope for my fortress. The site population of the remaining caves gives a grand total of 3 goblins, and around 300 cave animals.

Of course, all blame goes to my damn super aggressive dwarf civ, that nearly wiped out my precious goblins. Anyway, this will serve as a lesson NOT to play in a "very short" world history setting. Goblin civilizations have far too few sites (2-4).

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:50:07 pm »

Of course, all blame goes to my damn super aggressive dwarf civ, that nearly wiped out my precious goblins. Anyway, this will serve as a lesson NOT to play in a "very short" world history setting. Goblin civilizations have far too few sites (2-4).

From what I've been hearing, it's hard for both civilizations to stay in existence proper...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!