Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simultaneous Sieges?  (Read 689 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simultaneous Sieges?
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:47:07 am »

Is it normal to be able to get two sieges at the same exact moment. It's the start of spring of my second year and I have received notice of two sieges within a second of each other. One is goblin and the other is necromancer.

I'm curious about how it will play out. With a little luck they will be hostile to each other since I have only my starting 7 and 2 migrants to fight them with. I just don't think two newbie military dwarves are going to cut it. The merchants haven't shown up yet either so we don't even have the military basics like water skins, backpacks for rations etc.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simultaneous Sieges?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 04:48:37 am »

Well, unless you can lock yourself in, you're going to have a bad time I think. I've got no experience with the undead, but it sounds like you're in for a fun time
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:43:46 am »

Pray to Armok.

The goblins and necromancer will be hostile to one another, if they meet on the field they will murder each other.  The undead should be able to win handily.  Your best hope is that the goblins inflict just enough casualties to drive the necromancers off, but more likely is that the goblins run away terrified and now you've just got a horde of the walking dead to deal with.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 05:47:06 am »

Oh yeah, its going to be fun but I just have never seen two sieges showing up in the same instant before. I didn't realize this was a thing that could even happen.

As for my situation. It's a bit worse than I had first realized. I have an airlock and traps but we are out of booze due an earlier oversight involving farming and my well system is not complete. It requires that final square to be channeled from the outside which I can't reach at the moment due to a squad of goblins hanging out in the entrance next to their caged leader.

So we are pinned inside and dying of dehydration. I think I have no choice but to sacrifice a miner for the greater good. Then, I will deal with the goblins. I will make sure to kill them in an extra brutal fashion to make up for my fallen miner.

I just hope the necromaner isn't still sneaking around now that his zombies have been smashed by the goblins.  If he is still out there this could get nasty as the goblins will be much worse as undead.

Edit: I think I might be able to save the miner. It's just going to leave some messy tunnel work.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:52:40 am by Melting Sky »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 06:14:15 am »

I had this happen with goblins who set off a kobold ambush.  Only time I've ever seen more than kobold thieves.  Unfortunately their sneaky military got brutally curbstomped by the goblins, and that was that.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 12:05:51 pm »

My guess is that the undead get the goblins to come over to their side, in multiple pieces.