Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rain Trap Project - Feasible or Doomed?  (Read 427 times)

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
Rain Trap Project - Feasible or Doomed?
« on: August 14, 2014, 01:50:27 am »

Miners are probing for an underground source but have not had any luck so far. There is frequent rainfall in this scorching hot biome, so I conceived the Rain Trap Wonder.

I have noticed fairly swift evaporation during rain events, however I am hoping for lower temperatures during the winter.

Here is a diagram.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rain enters at the top of the structure, landing on the orange pressure plate. This triggers the adjacent floodgate at a depth of 5/7, dumping four units of water into the chamber below before re-setting.

Once the depth on the first yellow pressure plate reaches 7/7, it dumps its contents through the hatch cover adjacent. So on, until the bottom pressure plate which opens all the hatch covers to drain the entire column into the reservoir at the base.

Is the general principle sound? Is it wise having hatch covers attached to two pressure plates at a time?

I have a dozen dorfs, three of whom are children, so if the venture is doomed the pressure on dorf-power and resources may be too great to survive.

Your thoughts would be welcomed. 

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Rain Trap Project - Feasible or Doomed?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 02:41:02 am »

I don't think this is going to work, rain only accumulates in murky pools, as a trait of their unique floor tiles.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 03:23:04 am »

you don't need water, make booze

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:27:13 am »

Wont work. First as alreadynoted rain only accumulates in Murky Pools. Secondly... umm.. your scheme doesn't accomplish anything that I can discern. Just let the water fall (at least) one z-level, then into darkness (so it wont evaporate) then accumulate it in a 1x1 vertical shaft which solves the evaporation problem. Use a diagonal at the bottom of the shaft to cut off water pressure. You'll want a screw pump somewhere between the pool and the water-source to purify the water, having it draw water directly from the pool and pumping it down the shaft makes most sense as you can then build a windmill on top to power it.

As you can only collect water from murky pools, if you want to accumulate water from more than one pool, horizontal transport becomes a problem. For this you can use a 'pump chain', put pumps end-to-end with a channelled out tile in between each pump (a pump inlet must be over empty space). You can build a gear assembly in the empty space between each pump to transmit power, then build a few windmills on top to power the whole chain, you finally need to build walls on each side of the chain to prevent horizontal leakage. Such a pump chain can move water with very low losses, and except the mechanisms the whole thing can be built out of wood. Usually though you wont need much water, but pump chains aren't difficult to build and do look rather cool.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.