Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will new versions of 2014 DF require a new world gen?  (Read 984 times)

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will new versions of 2014 DF require a new world gen?
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:53:23 pm »

I've been having some good ideas for mega projects lately. But I don't really wanna start a big project only to find that the newest set of bugfixs will require me to gen a new world. Any thoughts?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will new versions of 2014 DF require a new world gen?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 01:03:29 am »

Save compatibility has been stable since 0.40.03. So you could have had your mega project going for a month already without having to toss it. (Not that you could know it would be that way)

Mostly, save compatibility is broken when there is a major save corrupting bug. There is such a bug that Toady mentioned he had tried to track down in the devlog last Saturday, so it's possible that when he fixes that, he will break save compatibility. And there's always the chance that another bad save corruption bug is discovered or accidentally added then fixed. But mostly, these come from crash bugs, and aren't many crash bugs open.

I'd say go ahead and start the project.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 01:11:02 am »

I suggest waiting. There are a lot more bugfixes to come I believe and ToadyOne wants to also work on testing 64bit DF. Anything is possible at this point and ToadyOne already made a comment how their might be odd interactions between versions...
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:39:18 am »

I suggest waiting. There are a lot more bugfixes to come I believe and ToadyOne wants to also work on testing 64bit DF. Anything is possible at this point and ToadyOne already made a comment how their might be odd interactions between versions...

Yeah thats what I thought.. I might still give it a try I'm not sure yet.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:06 am »

I was kind of beginning to invest in a fortress, but Toady seems to really be on a bug-fixing streak and each release is getting more bombproof than the last.  I'm gonna wait for the streak to come to an end, where we'll have a diamond strength DF that'll never crash and never make a mistake in a decade of runtime.  Kind of like the programs NASA puts on satellites they fling out of the solar system.  The next one won't have the gold plate, just a screen and a keyboard running DF.  So, er, I'd wait if I were you.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:54:24 am »

I was kind of beginning to invest in a fortress, but Toady seems to really be on a bug-fixing streak and each release is getting more bombproof than the last.  I'm gonna wait for the streak to come to an end, where we'll have a diamond strength DF that'll never crash and never make a mistake in a decade of runtime.  Kind of like the programs NASA puts on satellites they fling out of the solar system.

Mars Climate Orbiter

The next one won't have the gold plate, just a screen and a keyboard running DF.  So, er, I'd wait if I were you.

It really depends on what else you were planning on doing with your time, and remember the old version continues to work even if a newer version is released.  Just keep a backup of your save when changing versions even if no compatibility issues have been identified.  At worst you continue using the older version.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 06:42:37 pm »

It really depends on what else you were planning on doing with your time, and remember the old version continues to work even if a newer version is released.  Just keep a backup of your save when changing versions even if no compatibility issues have been identified.  At worst you continue using the older version.

Yeah but those new features!