Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: South American Politics Thread: Noodly borders get no respect  (Read 3135 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: South American Politics Thread: also known as CIA Politics Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 06:55:34 pm »

Giant Amazon fish 'locally extinct' due to overfishing. RIP Big Nemo.
Previously, bio economic theory predicted that fishing does not cause extinctions because fishermen inevitably move away from depleted resources.
The tragedy of the commons will always win over, killing the fishies.

Sad.  The arapaima was a neat fish.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 07:54:23 pm »

Previously, bio economic theory predicted that fishing does not cause extinctions because fishermen inevitably move away from depleted resources.
Bio-eco... what? Sweet zeus, if that's the sort of BS fishing management and whatnot is following, no bloody wonder we're losing species.

Are there any actual occurrences of resource exploiters moving away from a resource that became unsustainably exploited before it was locally annihilated? Because that sounds like something similar in occurrence frequency to live jackalope captures, at least without some sort of outside interference going on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 09:03:21 pm »

Your country supported the english in an attemp to steal more territory. Beacuse your country is so narrow like a fucking spaggetti and you live robbing territories like Tierra del Fuego and Paraguay.
If every talk between politicians was like this, the world would be a better place for 20 minutes. And those minutes would be golden.
Say that to my face, you noodle-bordered cur.

Sad.  The arapaima was a neat fish.
It's not dead dead. It's just that no specimens were reported by specifically trained fishermen in a decent fraction of the places they checked for it.

And of course, the other areas weren't doing so well. I believe 5% were well-managed and 2% were un-fished, was the reported numbers.

Bio-eco... what? Sweet zeus, if that's the sort of BS fishing management and whatnot is following, no bloody wonder we're losing species.

Are there any actual occurrences of resource exploiters moving away from a resource that became unsustainably exploited before it was locally annihilated? Because that sounds like something similar in occurrence frequency to live jackalope captures, at least without some sort of outside interference going on.
Fishing industry in general? Something's keeping other commercial fish from going extinct, and it's sure as hell not restraint or resolve.

That said, I am curious if this "theory" originated in respected circles or well-paid circles.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 09:14:12 pm »

Haven't we actually had a couple of commercial fish extinctions in the last lil'while, though? Or near ones, or something. Coulda' sworn there was some news on that... somewhere the last five years or so. Plus something about overall population reduction, though that's probably not because of overfishing, per se (though it's also likely not helping, ha!).

Plus I was under the understanding there's a fair amount of government/third party regulation on fishing these days. It's not just... fishing till everything's dead too expensive (?) and then going somewhere else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 10:15:45 pm »

as the real life random number god made me be born in Chile,i must say,the people on my country behave in a rather erratic way.
they do things without any sort of logic or justification.
is it the same on every country or the locals here are deranged?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 11:27:36 pm »

as the real life random number god made me be born in Chile,i must say,the people on my country behave in a rather erratic way.

Sounds like most politicians.

Are you talking about politics specifically, or.. (yes I know the thread is about politics, just asking)?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:09 am »

Haven't we actually had a couple of commercial fish extinctions in the last lil'while, though? Or near ones, or something. Coulda' sworn there was some news on that... somewhere the last five years or so. Plus something about overall population reduction, though that's probably not because of overfishing, per se (though it's also likely not helping, ha!).
I don't recall anything about extinctions or literal near-extinctions, but I have heard that a lot of commercial fish are sitting relatively stably or mildly recovering at 1-2% historical populations or something absurd like that. At least some of that's probably various forms of ecological disruption, but quite a bit is because fishing industries simply can't stop themselves, but neither can they entirely wipe the stock out.

Plus I was under the understanding there's a fair amount of government/third party regulation on fishing these days. It's not just... fishing till everything's dead too expensive (?) and then going somewhere else.
My understanding was that there was a ton of theoretical regulation in the dingo babysitter sense, but that they refuse to ever lower quotas or what have you for any reason because "developing nation economies depend on it."

Sounds like most politicians.

Are you talking about politics specifically, or.. (yes I know the thread is about politics, just asking)?
South America has a particularly grim reputation for a lot of that stuff, but I'm not aware of anyplace on the planet where most people behave in a genuinely intelligent and well-informed manner most of the time.

So the numbers are better in some places, but the same basic issues tend to be the same.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 06:20:59 am »

There's usually always somewhere where that's the case, like here it's west wales or east end London.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 06:25:54 am »

I agree with IronyOwl - everywhere is like that. The number of ridiculous/irrational people changes. What they're stupid about changes. & how big a problem it causes change. I haven't yet been to Chile to see if it's any worse or better then most places, but to a degree it's pretty standard.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 07:49:41 am »

You mean the southern tip of North America :P?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 10:03:36 am »

What about Central America? Where is our politics thread?
I'm sorry, what Central America?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: South American Politics Thread: Noodly borders get no respect
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 06:58:23 pm »

I was referring the point that most people in my country are highly ignorant and violent.
to the point that asked about why they behave in such way they cant even answer

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: South American Politics Thread: Noodly borders get no respect
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 08:10:57 pm »

I was referring the point that most people in my country are highly ignorant and violent.
to the point that asked about why they behave in such way they cant even answer
It's the earthquakes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 [2]