Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress demographics  (Read 792 times)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress demographics
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:32:37 am »

Since the game keeps track of (almost) everything that's happening in a fort, it would be useful to have a tab in the [z]-tatus screen with some demographics on it.
Age/skill/wealth distributions, (un)employment statistics, the 10-or-so most common positive/negative thoughts and whatever general grievances the population has can all go there so that we can be the most well-informed overseer we can be.

Also it would be great if it can filter that data depending on burrows.
ie. If i create an “Lowerclass housing”-burrow it could show me only the data of the dwarves living/working in that burrow, so i can figure out why my haulers are all flipping tables and stuff.

Some pie charts or graphs would also be great for describing how the fortress is evolving over time.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress demographics
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:01:26 am »

I general, I do like the idea and support it. Still, there are few "issues" with the suggestion.

First of all, as far as I know, Wealth distribution would be pretty useless at this point since, though when economy is finally included again, then it would be completely different matter. Of course, at this state Wealth distribution could give a quick summary of room (office, bedroom, dining room and tomb) assignments and the quality of room, perhaps even the exact value of the room as well. Also, it could list some basic things like equipment the dwarf is wearing and indicators for how properly the dwarf has been clothed by listing the wear status of all clothes. Of course, all this data could be shown in similar style of the Health screen.

The (un)employment statistics is perhaps a bit iffy since the status can change rapidly back and forth. In one moment you could have 10 of 100 dwarves idling without job, the next moment it may be 50 of 100 dwarves. What this screen COULD show is to show the number of idling dwarves per each job. If dwarf has, for example, masonry enabled then that dwarf is listed under Masons. If the dwarf has Masonry and Engraving enabled, then that dwarf would be listed under both jobs. This would tell pretty quickly to player which jobs would need more workers and which doesn't.

As for burrows, I don't use those much myself, so I don't have too many opinions about that.

Finally, I don't think pie charts are the way to go, mostly because how the interface is drawn. I believe it would be quit difficult to draw accurate pie charts by using small square pictures or ASCII characters. Instead, pillar charts would achieve more or less the same and are easier to include code wise. I have seen lots of ASCII games which use pillar charts but none which use pie charts.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:53:41 am »

Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa.

Do you think The Toady One would just GIVE us that information? There needs to be a Pollster noble that conducts meetings with various dwarves to gather intel. He probably would need to interview one dwarf a month in order to keep information current.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 06:51:25 am »

Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa.
You mean like how all of my stock counts are accurate, even though my bookkeeper is hardly ever in his office?

Though making site demographics a perk of having a civilian liaison noble would make sense.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:41:01 am »

All this information is already available via Dwarf Therapist (which also allows you to arrange dwarves by just about anything), but it would be nice to see Therapist's UI incorporated into the game itself.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game