Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a cutoff of how skilled migrants are?  (Read 1126 times)

raiker123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a cutoff of how skilled migrants are?
« on: August 12, 2014, 11:55:56 am »

I mean, I've never gotten a legendary migrant (or anything remotely close). I'm talking about my experience before 0.40, so did that change the whole historical figures migrating thing?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a cutoff of how skilled migrants are?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:12 pm »

So far I've played all of one fort in 40.06. I'm overall pleased with my migrants - for a skill high, I've had a high master bowyer. I also get good soldiers with all the combat-related skills in place, that's always nice since I never figured out how to train them properly, and I get good people for obscure labors, and they always come with a full set of social skills...

I don't even know what am I talking about anymore, but I'll say that historical figures migrating is good.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:40:01 pm »

Haven't played any .40+ yet, but from my experience, High Master is the cap (unless they migrate from an older fort in the same world), and not really all that uncommon.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:08:55 pm »

They have strange skill distributions. Guys with no social skills who only know pressing, but they're adequate pressers.

Competent discipline/fighter/shield user/armor user/dodger, but no weapon skills.

One guy arrived with no skills whatsoever except animal dissection. He had good stats and no friends, so now he's off hunting chinchillas. (They're too small to even eat, but don't tell him that. He thinks he's doing good work. )

The new fear mechanics are hilarious. Crundles run and jump into the trees to hide from the Big Bad Dwarves but occasionally miss the tree (or just jump around in fright?) and collide with walls/each other/just fall down. Hunters sneakily sneak up on a chinchilla, shoot it in the leg. The leg flies off. Chinchilla 2 and the hunter sprints away in fright.. in the same direction. 10 seconds later, the hunter is sprinting back the way he came. His reflexes are good, though. He's 2/2 bolts/kills.

A goblin spooked a jeweler who was in a strange mood waiting for something. He panicked and did an admirable job of climbing a tree to get away. Problem is I don't think he can get down. Or he won't come down until we have the things he wants. Not sure.

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 06:02:42 pm »

My own experience is that if a dwarf is overcome by terror during a strange mood, he'll stand around until the mood fails.  Just cut down the tree your jeweler is in and save yourself some trouble.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:22:43 pm »

The only legendary dwarves that have ever migrated into my fortresses have been the soldiers in the monarch's entourage. I don't know if they're special cases or not. High master is the highest skill level I've seen from a migrant otherwise.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:46:03 pm »

and they always come with a full set of social skills...

Vampires....

My dwarfs always seam to come with terrible labor skills but have good combat skills.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 10:34:32 pm »

Got a migrant to a fort in 0.31.25 (the first one in that world) who showed up as a legendary carpenter. So, unless something's changed since that would effect that kind of thing, I'd have to say there's no limit.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:27:46 pm »

The highest level migrants I have seen have been vampires. I had a vampire show up who was master-high master in dodging, armor user, shield user, fighting, hammer etc. She also had a smattering of professional skills one of which was pretty high leveled. Her social skills were impressive as well.

I've had some other migrants which were master-high master in one or two skills but my vampires have had the most overall skill I have seen. I have never seen a legendary migrant.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:29:45 pm by Melting Sky »