Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.40.07] Experience so far  (Read 1519 times)

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.40.07] Experience so far
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:25:42 am »

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with this version so far...

I generated a large 250 year world and embarked near elves dwarves goblins humans and 3 towers on a 2x4 map.

Within the first year or so I had 3 sieges from kobolds and undead. All 3 of which immediately ran away upon setting foot in my territory. Shortly thereafter however there was a siege of 30 undead or so which did stick around. Unfortuately, due to sparse trees, my steel industry wasnt up and running yet so I did not have adequate defenses to face them head on so I closed up for a bit. That said, I was happy to see that they left the edge of the map and milled around all over the place, putting an end to all manner of life for a couple years while I was trying to build up my defenses but they left before I could put them back to rest. I'm really glad the undead siege mechanics appear to be working nicely.

One potential bug I wanted to mention that happened however was that I had dug down to the upper level caverns and was collecting towercaps when a troll pathed her way into my fort from the caverns. She seemed to get stuck on a door I had constructed as an aesthetic barrier between the caverns and my fort. She was just standing right on top of it, not moving, and stayed there for about two years. During that time, countless dwarves were able to freely pass by her down to the caverns to collect webs and towercaps, seemingly oblivious to the danger. Nobody appeared to be disturbed at all by the new doorman (woman). In addition, I constructed a ballista point blank to the door and unloaded about 10 wooden ballista arrows into her managing only to remove the right rear tooth and break the left ear. No other damage was done. After two years or so, for some unknown reason the troll became unstuck and pathed her way right into my meeting hall and began milling around there peacefully.

What happened??

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.07] Experience so far
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »

In addition, I constructed a ballista point blank to the door and unloaded about 10 wooden ballista arrows into her managing only to remove the right rear tooth and break the left ear. No other damage was done.

Reports like this are why I continue to ignore siege "weapons".  Good to know.

After two years or so, for some unknown reason the troll became unstuck and pathed her way right into my meeting hall and began milling around there peacefully.

What happened??

Not a clue.  Sounds like some kind of bug....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:30:23 pm »

Our friendly mentally challenged troll, bless his heart, all he does is smile and hold doors open for people...Let's shoot ballista bolts 'em!

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:39:16 pm »

In addition, I constructed a ballista point blank to the door and unloaded about 10 wooden ballista arrows into her managing only to remove the right rear tooth and break the left ear. No other damage was done.

Yea I agree, ballistas rounds do seem a bit softer and fluffier than high-speed-impacting and pointy. That said, my undersanding is that steel-tipped ballista rounds are much more effective than regular wooden rounds - So those might be worth trying under general purposes but I didnt have the steel to spare.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:52:27 pm »

Our friendly mentally challenged troll, bless his heart, all he does is smile and hold doors open for people...Let's shoot ballista bolts 'em!

Dwarven dentistry at its finest. That right rear tooth had a nasty cavity. The broken ear was just acceptable collateral damage.

Besides, the troll looks great with the *≪+gold earring+≫* they put in the hole.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:39:27 pm »

Yea I agree, ballistas rounds do seem a bit softer and fluffier than high-speed-impacting and pointy. That said, my undersanding is that steel-tipped ballista rounds are much more effective than regular wooden rounds - So those might be worth trying under general purposes but I didnt have the steel to spare.

Very interesting.  I have never fired a ballista at an enemy, but the wiki page led me to believe that they were much deadlier than that.

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 02:06:29 pm »

Very interesting.  I have never fired a ballista at an enemy, but the wiki page led me to believe that they were much deadlier than that.

Yea with just plain wooden ballista rounds they dont do a whole lot. I noticed the troll I was firing at was getting bruising for every impact but the bruising would heal quickly. The only long lasting damage that was done was as mentioned above. So if you want more penetration, I think they need to be metal tipped ballista rounds

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 04:26:50 pm »

Even in v.34.x wooden ballista arrows were mostly good to annoy goblins, assuming they are getting annoyed by tickling.

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 04:32:09 pm »

Ok, goo to know:
  • Use wooden ballista bolts if I want to shoot into the dining room to train doctors at treating minor injuries.
  • Use metal-tipped ballista bolts if I want to kill invaders.

Fat Friar

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you're thinking with magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:51:02 pm »

Too buggy to play, as of yet. Rolling back to simpler, yet somehow not better times in .34 until the new version is stable. :\
Nobles always ask for a nice tomb. See that they make good use of it.

Thudde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 04:58:28 pm »

Its like the Aesop fable of the lion and the thorn in its paw. 

A troll shows up at your fort, stands in the doorway crying and pointing to her swollen mouth.  The dwarf dentist builds a ballista, ties the ballista arrow to a rope and the troll's tooth.  Now the troll dances happily in the dining room, friends for life!

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 05:04:37 pm »

Too buggy to play, as of yet. Rolling back to simpler, yet somehow not better times in .34 until the new version is stable. :\

Its really getting there I think... I'm personally finding 0.40.7 playable but yea there are a couple noticable bugs that I havnt found to be too game breaking

Fat Friar

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you're thinking with magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 05:19:09 pm »

I agree entirely, TurboSlug. It's becoming playable at an astounding pace. The fact of these bugs being recognized and fixed so rapidly indicates a great rapport between the users and developer - something that I wish more game developers had.
Having said all that, it's still just not quite there yet. I eagerly await the day that the new release makes a liar out of me. But until then, I'll be mucking around with my single-tile trees and multiple sieges in 0.34.
Nobles always ask for a nice tomb. See that they make good use of it.

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 05:49:30 pm »

Having said all that, it's still just not quite there yet. I eagerly await the day that the new release makes a liar out of me. But until then, I'll be mucking around with my single-tile trees and multiple sieges in 0.34.

You probably already know but for those that dont I'll just mention that the lengh of history during world generation has a big impact on sieges. This is because with 0.40.7 sieges only happen if the population of the invading civ can support the siege. So giving them a couple hundred years to root themselves and grow in numbers really helps with sieges.

This dynamic can be explored using legends viewer (I believe) to view the civs in question and how big they are. When in doubt however just embark near some necro towers, those appear to be working fine now.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there : )

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 05:52:36 pm »

YAY work is over... That was a refreshing way to spend my day (f5)

off to pulp some undead ^_^