Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sil Lathon: The Planes of Myth (0.40.07 Succession Game)  (Read 1504 times)

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Sil Lathon: The Planes of Myth (0.40.07 Succession Game)
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:32:18 am »

Updated to 0.40.08 before launch of the Succession Game!  Please see the new thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142169.0

This is a brand-new succession game, looking for players!

That's right, you can sign up right now for a 2-year turn in this new 0.40.07 succession game, and have a say in how the fortress will begin.

The basics:

-  This game will take place in a "Golden Age" world I genned right off the bat.  The settings are Medium History, Savagery, Minerals, # of Civs, and # of Sites; Small world size (for faster FPS), and a smallish embark area (I'm going to try and keep it no larger than 4x4, preferably 3x3 or 3x4, again for faster FPS).

-  I genned the world of a fresh install of Dwarf Fortress 0.40.07 with nothing but Ironhand Graphics and Soundsense (release r43) installed.  I don't *believe* Soundsense should affect the raws in any way- so you're free to play without it if you desire (not recommended- Soundsense makes Dwarf Fortress MUCH more playable).  However I would respectfully request that all players use Ironhand Graphics version 40.07A (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8747), even if it's not normally your favorite graphics set (if you play with one), so we can all work off some sort of common aesthetic.

-  The turns will each be two years (not one) as I already mentioned.  If a player has given at least one other player a turn in-between, he can return for additional turns later on, however.  This should make the succession game something each player invests more deeply into (and is thus less likely to screw the fort), and also make it viable with a much smaller number of players than most succession games.

- Turns will be starting once at least two players are signed up (not including myself).  Additional players will have their names added to the list on a first-come, first-serve basis.  New players will tend to bump players going in for a repeat turn off the list if they request a turn early enough.

-  Each player should post a *detailed* summary of their turn (with as little or as much roleplay as desired- personally I'll be trying to cut to the meat of matters rather than doing excessive storytelling) as well as the save file at the end of their turn.  Players will have 24 hours to claim their turn (by making a short placeholder post stating they've downloaded the file), and 48-72 hours to complete their turn (depending on how long it took them to download the file- 72 hours if they claimed it instantly after the last player).  If this starts too appear to be too slow or too fast, this will be up for adjustment.

- This thread will be run in an "administrative" capacity by myself, and possibly DoctorMcTaalik- who I've invited to team up with me to run this game instead of starting his own succession game (we'll see if he bites on the offer).  The one/two of me/us will attempt to keep things flowing smoothly.  However the setup of the succession fortress will be open to player input/ community decision making to at least some degree... (I need to discuss with DoctorMcTaalik precisely how he wants to do this, and to what degree, if he decices to co-host this game)

Lastly, until this succession fort officially starts, I will be wandering around the world in Adventure Mode, or spawning small outposts in Fortress Mode.  Don't worry, I won't be causing any permanent harm to the world (I won't be trying to depose the rulers of any civs, for instance), mostly just wandering around and getting a sense of this world we're about to all play in.

IF, for any reason, this fort fails, this will not be the end of this world file.  I expect the last player to upload his/her save file (if this is not provided, I will go from the last one available), and I will continue the world file, likely starting another succession fort in the same world soon after this one has had a little time to cool down... (I anticipate if the fort comes to an abrupt end, it will be due to violence and slaughter...)

Last, but not least, have fun!  And let's TRY our VERY BEST to make sure this fort succeeds- I do NOT want another Failcannon or Boatmurdered here- my goal is to create the rare fortress, one that actually SURVIVES (I'll outline some strategies for that in my next posts).

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:06:39 am by Northstar1989 »
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
Re: Sil Lathon: The Planes of Myth (0.40.07 Succession Game)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:09:29 am »

I've never had a particularly exciting fortress during my games so maybe this will help. Count me in.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:30:32 am »

I'll take a turn too. Sounds fun.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:13:12 pm »

Bait taken. I usually play without any mods/utilities, but I'll probably go ahead and install Ironhand.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:28:02 pm »

Are you planning on dwarfing players? If so, I think it would be cool if each embark player could choose what skills they have and what they bring on embark.

My Proposal:
DoctorMcTaalik Suchandsuch, Male Con Artist Salesman Mystic Doctor Turkey Farmer

Proficient Liar
Proficient Diagnostician
10 Turkey Hens
25 Dwarven Wine
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:02:41 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 03:19:38 pm »

I do NOT want another Failcannon or Boatmurdered here-
Oh, really?!

I'd like to join, but I don't like tilesets at all. Is it ok?
And I recommend using 40.08, if you aren't fond of walls made of unknown material and crashes on ESC.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:34:15 pm »

I do NOT want another Failcannon or Boatmurdered here-
Oh, really?!

I'd like to join, but I don't like tilesets at all. Is it ok?
And I recommend using 40.08, if you aren't fond of walls made of unknown material and crashes on ESC.

Arghhh- the last update was only released a day or two ago!

Alright, re-genning world.  Will have to appropriately re-name the thread.

And yes, playing without Ironhand is OK (hopefully there won't be any issues with it- but if you experience bugs it might be because the game was from a version of DF running Ironhand), though I'd strongly prefer if you did give Ironhand a try so that you would be designing in the same style as everyone else... (ASCII graphics tend to lead to VERY different construction styles than building with Ironhand graphics)

Oh well. I was rather looking forward to playing in a Golden Age (no Megabeasts left alive, but plenty of FB's and Semi-Megabeasts for !FUN!)

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:17:56 am by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 12:15:35 am »

Are you planning on dwarfing players? If so, I think it would be cool if each embark player could choose what skills they have and what they bring on embark.

Yes, I was planning on allowing players to dwarf themselves if so desired.  The precise set-up of the game beyond that is also up to you in part, since you took the offer to co-host.  I'd strongly prefer *NOT* to have each player take their own embark stuff (since that can get rather chaotic), though- and agree on some sort of consensus of what things to bring.  Of course, I have my own opinions on good embark profiles (which I'm not afraid to min/max- DF is hard enough as is) which I'll be sure to make heard...

Bait taken. I usually play without any mods/utilities, but I'll probably go ahead and install Ironhand.

I strongly recommend installing SoundSense as well (http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/).  Having actual sound-effects and real/varied music for the game GREATLY improves the experience, and makes it MUCH easier to keep on top of what's going on in the fortress at any given time... (for instance, the combat sound-effects make it VERY difficult to miss when one of your Dwarves comes under attack)  SoundSense also recently updated their soundpack to include a LOT more music than the last time I downloaded the Official Soundpack.

Don't forget to hop on over to the new thread I created for the new world I genned in 0.40.08 (the one we'll actually be playing on)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142169.0

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:21:07 am by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 12:22:27 am »

I've never had a particularly exciting fortress during my games so maybe this will help. Count me in.

I'll take a turn too. Sounds fun.

Great!  I've added both your names to the player list for the new thread after I re-installed for 0.40.08 (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142169.0)

Regards,
Northstar