Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random falling death?  (Read 947 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Random falling death?
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:22:08 pm »

A moment ago, I got cancel messages from dwarves too horrified to do their jobs. I went over to check, and the entire hallway is littered with dwarves crying on the floor because a child just died for no apparent reason. I checked the combat log, but it only tells me that he died because his upper body skidded across the ground and collapsed into gore, followed shortly by him hitting an obstacle. What the hell just happened? Jumping gone wrong? Was he literally bouncing off the walls?

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random falling death?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:27:01 pm »

Was this on the surface, or underground.

Even after all the fixes for trees and caveins and such, it's still possible for dwarves to meet untimely fates with them...

//Torrenal

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:45:27 pm »

... What the hell just happened? Jumping gone wrong? Was he literally bouncing off the walls?

You need to think like a CSI and determine the origin and direction of movement of the sliding kid.

IIRC the first impact doesn't appear in the combat logs because it is configured in announcements.txt to only show up in active combat reports.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:56:05 pm »

It happened underground, in a 1-z tall hallway. And there are no blood stains around the area of his death, so finding out where he came from is really hard.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:12:51 am »

Stairs count as an air block so far as a falling creature is concerned. I found that out the hard way when my best carpenter and mason both took a nose-dive down fifteen or so z-levels when my masons deconstructed some stairs underneath them. The mason died on the spot but the carpenter lived long enough to die an agonizing death of bleeding out. I didn't have a hospital at the time.

I would suggest you check to see what could have caused a fall in that spot. Could the child have been 1) climbing, 2) standing where another dwarf was deconstructing, or 3) dodging for some reason into open air? Any of those could potentially cause a fall. Lastly, check for wildlife, tame animals, and sparring. Wrestling is once again notorious for causing sparring injuries, and I've heard of dwarves getting involved in sparring when another dwarf is tossed into or dodges into their tile.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:06:37 am »

The child was just walking down the hall, on the opposite side of the fortress from the barracks, and wasn't standing on any stairs. He just skidded and died. I think he was near a group of war dogs (I assign them to my military), and one of them may have caused him to dodge into a wall.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 01:30:44 am »

Testing in arena mode shows that, while most of the time if you JUMP at someone they will "jump out of your flight path", if they fail to dodge and you collide with them you can send them flying backwards, taking skid damage. Velocities depend on the relative weights of the creatures.

It is plausible that something/someone jumped at the child and collided with him. Presumably the child is lightweight, so he could be drop-kicked a good distance.

I don't know why anything would be jumping around underground in fort mode.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 01:49:19 am »

Im assuming 'jump' as you mention it is not the same as attack or charge?  I was just getting to suspect the dogs, group of those in a tight corridor with multiple dwarves and i would be expecting the odd combat log.  Mother stepping on hassled dog is not a great scenario, but i dont see a straight bite producing this.  charge though?  will a stressed dog charge and might that produce just a skid log?.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:53:04 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 02:35:01 am »

I have seen my dwarves jump on rare occasions when they're in a hurry (such as when they're running from the undead), so it's not unheard of. Maybe someone was in a rush and the kid was just an unfortunate victim.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 09:22:55 am »

Im assuming 'jump' as you mention it is not the same as attack or charge?  I was just getting to suspect the dogs, group of those in a tight corridor with multiple dwarves and i would be expecting the odd combat log.  Mother stepping on hassled dog is not a great scenario, but i dont see a straight bite producing this.  charge though?  will a stressed dog charge and might that produce just a skid log?.

Not charging, not attacking.

You will recognize a jump when the creature temporarily becomes a projectile, with a light blue background. IIRC the AI will now jump if there is a single-tile-wide hole in the ground that they want to cross.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 02:19:39 pm »

It seems entirely possible that a dwarf considered a stair to be an open space, jumped over it and into the child, and the child got all pastey.