Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.40.07] Goblins everywhere in 250 years  (Read 3121 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
[0.40.07] Goblins everywhere in 250 years
« on: August 10, 2014, 04:28:19 pm »

I found when generating 125 year worlds, settlement looks OK, but at 250 years the world is significantly covered in dark pits. There is a bit of a trend of the goblins winning out in the long run. Also see this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141894.0

Are other people seeing this as well?

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.07] Goblins everywhere in 250 years
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:40:06 pm »

I think it's a result of
1) their immortality: their good warriors that end up too legendary everything to be beaten, and since they never die of old age, they just pile up until the gobbos have an unbeatable army of legends)
2) Their agressive tendencies, and the fact that right now agressor always win. (unless that have been fixed in .07, but I saw nothing about it.)

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 04:43:52 pm »

At least, giving goblins and trolls a shorter lifespan goes a long way to balance this trend.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 05:37:12 pm »

I've been seeing this too, the humans almost never seem to survive past year 300 in my games, and the dwarves go down soon later. Against all reason, it's the elves that I've always seen holding their own against the green menace, even in the Age of Goblins. I actually like worlds like that though, makes for a lot of easy Fun.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 06:18:57 pm »

Against all reason, it's the elves that I've always seen holding their own against the green menace, even in the Age of Goblins.
The elves survive because they are working with the goblins.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 07:55:45 pm »

Shorter lived races should learn faster and vice-versa to balance things out. Also, humans are supposed to be ambitious, they should be the aggressive ones against gobbos, dwarves, elves and each other

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:07:03 pm »

Yeah I've seen atleast one of the 'good' races going extinct around year 50, in a small world.

Shorter lived races should learn faster and vice-versa to balance things out. Also, humans are supposed to be ambitious, they should be the aggressive ones against gobbos, dwarves, elves and each other

They shouldn't fight more....atleast against dwarves, but they deffinantly should spread like a weed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:09:08 pm by locustgate »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 08:44:11 pm »

My current world/embark:

In a world, where the northern dwarves fight a losing battle against the goblin hordes, and the southern dwarves are sieged by 7 necromancer towers, a brave expedition set out to save their civilization. They travelled to a distant savage desert, on the far side of the human lands, where no elf nor goblin should venture.

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 09:25:21 pm »

Well I guess it depends on what definition of elves etc. That you use.   I think I remember seeing somewhere that Toady was not going for Tolkien clones in terms of the creatures.  Though in Tolkien I believe that goblins were supposed to be elves corrupted by magic (Silmarillion version anyway).  Elves lived forever so it might just be that goblins retained that trait. If he was borrowing parts of that origin anyway.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 09:32:25 pm »

They shouldn't fight more....atleast against dwarves, but they deffinantly should spread like a weed.
Well, I think it makes sense for humans to be a bit more warlike. Maybe they could turn on dwarves, elves and each other only if there aren't evil things anywhere nearby. Having the numbers advantage would also be a good way to balance things out.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:45:10 pm »

I've modded my goblins to live as long as humans and regularly give birth to litters of at least 2 to 3 goblins at a time. No problems with goblins overpopulating or dying out.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 12:45:04 am »

I think it's a result of
1) their immortality: their good warriors that end up too legendary everything to be beaten, and since they never die of old age, they just pile up until the gobbos have an unbeatable army of legends)
2) Their agressive tendencies, and the fact that right now agressor always win. (unless that have been fixed in .07, but I saw nothing about it.)
The bug with the attackers always winning only happens after standard world generation ends so that wouldn't have any effect here. As for why this happens, I think that it's basically that there was the new values system added that makes certain civilizations value certain things. This probably results in more wars. However there's more that could be in affect here. The goblins also recently got a new site type that they build rather than dark fortresses most of the time, and if you've ever looked at them in Legendsviewer then you would see that they only ever seem to have around 100 goblins in them. This limitation on how many goblins can live in dark pits probably leads to them making more sites, causing them to be everywhere. The actual reasons they're successful in wars has been around for a long time, they're immortal yet reproduce at the same speed as the other civs, and they have metal equipment. I have heard stories of how elves in long world generation would end up at war with humans and would have battle where the elves take 3,000 casualties and the humans take 1,000, yet the elves would still win because of sheer numbers. Goblins would have that same advantage, except without terrible wooden weapons making them have such a low ratio of kills to deaths. As for the idea of humans being more warlike, I think they're good enough as they are. Wars between humans and elves are actually kind of common and I think if the player's civ ended up at war with humans when they started a fortress, then things would go really badly as humans have quite powerful sieges and it's best that they be kept optional.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 09:53:06 am »

I reduced my gobs lifespan to 50-70 and......everyone but dwarves died out around year 30.....maybe I have to many megabeasts for a small world, 40.

Yep to many mega beasts.

It seems the cap for megabeasts if you want your world to survive is around 15, though 10 allows tons. For a small world
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:26:47 am by locustgate »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 11:45:38 am »

I am not sure, but then, I've genned several world-sizes, and while in each the proportions of goblins is out of bounds, as per bug, I do have slightly different results.

Namely, I like to generate medium and large worlds, and in those Goblins nor towers seem to chew up the whole map, while in pocket worlds they tend to be everywhere. I think it might be related to available land and natural barriers, but haven't truly tested it.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 12:16:55 pm »

I am not sure, but then, I've genned several world-sizes, and while in each the proportions of goblins is out of bounds, as per bug, I do have slightly different results.

Namely, I like to generate medium and large worlds, and in those Goblins nor towers seem to chew up the whole map, while in pocket worlds they tend to be everywhere. I think it might be related to available land and natural barriers, but haven't truly tested it.

Makes sense, a lot of people probably play small or pocket worlds with the civs and sites maxed out for more !!FUN!!, Large worlds have a lot of empty space so the goblins don't rub right up against a human hamlet and auto kill it.
Pages: [1] 2