Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else having a problem with miners getting stuck?  (Read 715 times)

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone else having a problem with miners getting stuck?
« on: August 09, 2014, 03:02:00 am »

IT seems like when i issue channel designations, there are times when a miner and his designation will get "stuck".   The Miner AND the designation are flashing, but the miner doesn't move.   Undesignatignthe channel works, but get's confusing when 4+ miners are digging.   

Anyone else seeing this?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else having a problem with miners getting stuck?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 03:20:05 am »

Yes, I think its because they stop digging when someone is standing there to prevent accidents, however the dont realise the tile gets empty and get stuck.

It is more annoying with 11 miners.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:28:38 am »

Yes, I think its because they stop digging when someone is standing there to prevent accidents, however the dont realise the tile gets empty and get stuck.

It is more annoying with 11 miners.

Does it only happen with channeling?  I am currently tryign to breach an aquifer with a plug, and I keep getting stuck.   My dig site is 19x12, and I've got a 5x12 area channeld out into the aquifer.   on the last two channels I have had 2 and 3 miners get stuck.  I don't remember how many got stuck on the first channel, but I do remember atleast one got stuck.

And this isn't the first time I've encountered this.   

How do you handle it with 11 miners?!?!

Edit:  Two more channels, and 1 and 2 miners stuck.  I undesignate, then redesignate, and everythign rolls along.

Edit:  next two channels designated, before 1 gets dug, 2 miners are stuck.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:32:18 am by Verjigorm »

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 03:35:40 am »

I guess it's better than drowning?   Each time I designate a 1x12 line for channeling, someone or someones(2 seems to be the common result) get stuck, and won't do anything until I undesignate their tiles.   Then they are freed up and will respond as normal. 

So, Bug?

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 05:10:43 am »

Seems like it. Was having this yesterday. Whenever possible, dig from below using ramps (d-r) as this seems to prevent this bug happening.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 05:26:27 am »

Seems like it. Was having this yesterday. Whenever possible, dig from below using ramps (d-r) as this seems to prevent this bug happening.

Heh, if I could get below the aquifer without channeling, I would!

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 07:20:07 am »

Seems to be a new bug with 40.06.  It also seems to be channeling only.  Something with the channeling job is telling the dwarves that they can dig the channel from a tile or two away, rather than right next to it.  They think they can channel where they're at, but they can't, so they just stand around until they get too hungry or thirsty and cancel the channel job.

Cancelling the designation and redesignating fixes it temporarily but this is one that Toady might want to take a look at
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:18:50 am »

Yep, I've seen it as well.  Easy to reproduce, just designate a long straight channeling job with multiple miners, say 4-5 times longer than the number of miners.  Pretty much every time, one of them stops and won't start again, and gets locked/frozen waiting.

It seems they need a .. "check again" retry after a certain number of ticks to ensure they resume the job; that's missing right now.

Samwarez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:32:54 am »

I've been having this exact issue. However I have found that it is not exclusive to channeling, I have seen it happen with ramps as well, though not as often. Re-designating the tile fixes it, but I hater having to check up on my miners every couple of minutes.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 12:42:19 pm »

This happens to me as well. I've had it with digging, ramping and, I belive, ramp/stair removal. The greatest and most common offender though is channeling. Has anyone added this to the bug tracker yet?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »

This happens to me as well. I've had it with digging, ramping and, I belive, ramp/stair removal. The greatest and most common offender though is channeling. Has anyone added this to the bug tracker yet?

I think it was even added a couple of times, like:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7919

And yes, that is very common and very annoying to me too.