Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Birds are the bane of my exsistance  (Read 1071 times)

Ahk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Birds are the bane of my exsistance
« on: August 08, 2014, 08:40:43 pm »

I had a great fort going. Put about 20 hours into it...Playing on newest release. Notice nothing spawns...only the crows//only the crows...there endless cawing
taunting me...begging me for absolution...cant kill them...out of reach...no new enemies or animals...they know this...CAW CAW oh how they taunt me...long story short just abondoned my fortress because of birds that spawned and never left :{ Buggy birds:{going back to v34 But i can still hear the cawing...forever taunting me

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birds are the bane of my exsistance
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:06:24 pm »

You don't need to go back to 34.11 just for this, just remove the [FLIER] tag from the raws (you can do this in the save game folder for your current game).

In windows you can do a multiple-file search replace in a program like nodepad++, while in linux a command like this will do the trick:
sed -ri 's|\[FLIER\]||' df_linux/raw/objects/*.txt

You don't lose much doing this as fliers even when they aren't broken don't add much to the game. To be clear, this doesn't remove birds from the game, it just makes them all flightless.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 11:20:17 pm »

Marksdwarves?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 03:24:01 am »

Marksdwarves?

Marksdwarves vs birds is more suffering than you can possibly imagine (unless you've tried it). Essentially if a unit can't path towards it's target it wont even try to move closer. So if you order marksdwarves to attack birds which are out of range, they don't do anything. If you order them to move within range of the birds, typically the birds will panic and fly away in terror, returning to step 1: birds out of range, dwarves unable to chase them. A marksdwarf range seems to be slighter greater than terror-range, but it's very hard to get the right distance because z-levels count against range, so it's not just a matter of moving within 20 tiles of them, if they are 15 z-levels high you might need to be 5 tiles from their 'shadow'. Of course once you do actually start shooting at them, they promptly horrify and flee, returning to step 1.

In brief flier dynamics are so thoroughly broken right now you may as well remove them from the game.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 03:42:07 am »

At least if they do get horrified and flee there is a good chance they'll leave the map. Thats why I dont even bother with marksdwarves, i just have the tree's under them cut down. Its enough to keep other wildlife cycling through.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 04:26:27 am »

If you remove the flier tag do the fall to the ground?

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 07:22:38 am »

If you remove the flier tag do the fall to the ground?

Oh yes indeed they do.  Usually into a shower of delicious giblets.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 09:45:39 am »

What about hunters? Crows sound like a game type of animal that hunters might hunt. Just make a bunch of crossbows and bolts, give a bunch of dwarves the hunting labor and set them loose.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 10:09:05 am »

I never could get my hunters to go after birds like crows.

I think it's perhaps because they're too small to generate useful meat products.  No hunterdwarf wants to be THAT GUY who returns to the starving fortress carrying a rat with feathers.