Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 76164 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode - Poll on future features
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2014, 04:27:48 pm »

Is it possible to make certain animals be able to do tasks like digging, fishing, tree cutting? Like you can tame badgers and they dig for you but learn very slowly.
No, except fishing.
Out of curiosity, why is that? What makes fishing special?

Fishing is one of the 'idle' jobs, which are only taken when the unit with said labour has nothing else to do.

Hunting is another one, but that requires the idler to be able to pick up items and equip them, which most creatures cannot do. I don't even think intelligent ones would be able to, if they are not the same race as the civilization's 'main' race. This is because only the main race can take jobs; at least until multiracial forts become a thing.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2014, 05:33:45 pm »

any chance of mechanical creatures for defense? like the gnomes got :P
We already get to recruit animals from nature, and conjure demons, and summon undead. That's plenty of guardian creatures.

this is a 'dwarf' hermit, right?  to me dwarfs are more metal than flesh.  i just haven't seen dwarves depicted as nature lovers but more weaponizing
constructs seem more dwarven than a grizzly bear to me

although the thought of making sure all beasts are not caged, free, and happy then give a !mountain of gold! to the keas, leprechauns, and badgers for the gods of nature to have favor with him just to whisper enchanting words to a dragon as a lone forest hermit does sound quite dwarven
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2014, 06:01:29 pm »

Poll: Leading are potions by a large margin, then summoning tiny critters, then hardcore mode.

Please post what you would like to see. I wont be here for 2 weeks, so you got plenty of time to come up with potions, with ideas for tiny creatures that surround your hermit, or how hardcore hardcore mode should be. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2014, 09:22:36 pm »

An expensive "Elixir of Life" that boosts recuperation and prevents aging, but wears off after a season. A more resource-heavy alternative to necromancy, in other words.

A hallucinogen that summons an extra "Bob" for a season.

A "Liquid Intuition" potion that grants a skill level in 1 random skill with each use. Might be useful, probably won't.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2014, 09:42:31 pm »

I feel like the obvious way to go about the hardcore mode would be to add options in the GUI. Mix and match the difficulty to your pleasure, sort of thing.

Of course, it would probably be too much of a pain in the ass to make the bonuses to each stat togglable, but even being able to turn off nopain, combat skills boni, job skill boni, and so on piecemeal would be pretty cool.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:46:24 pm by moseythepirate »
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2014, 11:13:09 pm »

I just want to make sure everybody knows that the plural of bonus is bonuses, and that boni just sounds silly.

EDIT: I suppose I could also ask a question about the gamemode. What does the make an offering to the wild interaction do in the nature shrine? I checked the raws and it seems to be called "LUA_HOOK_DRUID_CALL_CURIOUS_GNOME", but I couldn't find the lua file and probably don't know enough about lua to tell what it does from that. I also checked both the hermit and gnome manuals of course.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:22:32 am by vjmdhzgr »
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2014, 02:49:30 am »

I just want to make sure that you realize that bonus is a latin word and boni, just like colossi, cacti and octopi, is absolutely correct.

The lua hook calls curious creatures to your site, like monkeys or racoons.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2014, 03:30:30 am »

Making an offering to the wild should theoretically call a curiousbeast, but I've never seen it actually work (same as the force script).  However, if you let animals steal your items, you get merit based on the value of the item taken.

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2014, 09:08:59 am »

For some reason, my bone breakable shovel is not breaking. I'm using it since early Autumn, it's midwinter and it's still "Xbreakable shovelX" - as far as I know, it should be broken after a week? Not that I mind. :D

Imeka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2014, 10:14:18 am »

I can't find "make candles" in the craftsman's workshop, a search with the manager does not show anything either. How else do i get a candle to summon devilkin at the conjuration altar?

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2014, 03:40:13 pm »

Gah, though it's not at all leading, I really would like to see a werebeast combat transformation for the druid path.

Either way, for Alchemy, I think if the boosts are permanent, they should be very minuscule increases, and should have some form of cool down so you can't simply spam them up.

My preference would be potions that have semi-temporary effects. Say, a year. They can coincide with crop growths of herbs and alchemical ingredients.

Finally, if the potion system wins out, what I'd -really- love to see is brewing times. I'm not sure if it's possible with DF hack, but having it look like this:

-Gather/prepare all ingredients for potion at the workshop.
-Spend a fairly long elapsed time at the workshop. Make it a difficult skill to train and perform, like strand extraction is.
-Have the potion "brew" or "ferment" or "simmer" for a period of time, depending on the complexity/effect. A week, a month, two months later the potion is ready. The idea is the workshop continues operating without the hermit.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:42:21 pm by DoX »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2014, 03:50:04 pm »

Special pet ideas: Otters to help fish, can quickly swim to safety when attacked. Field-Mice to "root up" plants somehow, (possibly with a spawn item reaction?) moves fast and wanders a lot like cats, but easily killed by weak attacks. (The -featherwood traininghammer- hits the Field-Mouse in the head, and the severed part flies off in an arc.) Thick-shelled Tortoises: slow, small, practically harmless with only a weak set of biting and scratching attacks, but improbable to kill without at least iron-grade weapons; good for distracting an invasion long enough for your hermit to change out of his miner's uniform and into his armor.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2014, 07:47:53 pm »

Hmm. While I can make steel at the crucible, I can't make Pig Iron anywhere.

Whoops.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2014, 12:25:48 am »

Seeing how popular the potions idea is got me thinking on how to implement the Elixir of Life concept. Way I imagine it, the amulet for the magic alters can used for another building: Alchemical Lab. Way I'd imagine it is that the amulet is used as an alchemical catalyst to do the various reactions. Here, aside from special potion brewing (we already have an alchemy workbench for more conventional potions), we can create "Quicksilver" and a "Philosopher's Stone". Both of these should be quite involved to create (souls+blood, rare metals, or complex combo of plants). With these two in tow, the Elixir of Life can be brewed. If the anti-aging were to be a temporary effect, I'd say on the span of 10 years due to the difficulty of production.

Also, with the Philosopher's Stone the player should be able to take any metal bar + the stone and create a bar of a desired type. The caveat would be the rarer the desired metal, the greater percentage that the Philosopher's Stone is consumed.
IE : to get copper : 5% of losing stone
to get adamantine : 99% of losing stone
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

Imeka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2014, 12:28:29 pm »

At the weight set: "work out - easy (any bar) does not take ash/potash/coke and also uses up the bar, I lost one copper and one bronze before I noticed. "work out - medium (metal bars)" on the other hand gives the bar back.

Is it intended that "cold hammer copper from malachite/ tin from cassiterite" (finishing forge) asks for pure ore (that you can't produce as hermit afaik)?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23