Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 76217 times)

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode - TEST VERSION ONLINE!
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2014, 01:56:12 pm »

Not sure about that. A crucible for steel, maybe. But mithril/wolfram/titanium? Doesnt strike me as fitting. A lone guy living in a cave or wooden cabin, with a fully sized industrial metalworking complex in his basement?   ???

Added Workbench (Butcher), for megabeast corpses and living rock.
Understandable sentiment. The reason why I requested it is because I was fortunate to embark with Raw Mithril (and it was the only material available which could make an anvil T_T), and it would have been nice to utilize it. There was also Tears of Armok, but I died before I could see if any of the kajiggers available could utilize it.

Personally, I feel it makes a certain amount of sense. In my mind, the big industrial processes would be the stuff like the armory, weaponry, greatforge, steam engine etc. But a lone artisan in the wilderness, producing limited quantities of excellent arms and armor for his own use? That makes sense to me.

And about Alchemy, I think that the uses you listed make sense to me. I don't see much of a use for artificial gems myself, but transmutation could be invaluable with the limited options available to a hermit, and ironbone/bloodsteel could be fun if you're going for a more necromancer flavor of hermit.

But...... It's a one man fort. How hard can it be to micromanage? o.O

I don't know about you, but I do a heck of a lot more micromanagement with one guy doing all the work.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2014, 02:01:07 pm »

I think I leave it as is for now. With the additions I mentioned. Just have to add all this to the manual, and I'm good. Will release it tomorrow, people will have lots of time to play and post about it when I am not here.

Alchemy, Werebeasts, Vampirism, Potions, other new stuff: that can wait till some forts have been played and people tell me whats good/bad. Its a tiny race, but it still needs testing nontheless.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2014, 03:16:19 pm »

So long as there's a route that doesn't necessitate killing random wildlife I'm good with it. I think there needs to be a lot of options for hermits to lead lives of minimal impact on the environment.

ITS AN ELF! BURN IT!
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2014, 03:17:13 pm »

Amazing stuff, and thanks for your swift work! And my cow did eat human-blood-soaked evil grass :D

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2014, 03:18:58 pm »

Quirky thing. A grey langur stole my past regrets as soon as migrant vaporized at the border.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2014, 03:22:37 pm »

Well, too bad for that langur. :D

Added wooden mechanisms last minute. I remember someone asking about those. Uploading now.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2014, 03:23:43 pm »

Quirky thing. A grey langur stole my past regrets as soon as migrant vaporized at the border.
There's something deeply philosophical about a monkey stealing the darkness in your heart.

Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2014, 03:42:04 pm »

Well, too bad for that langur. :D

Added wooden mechanisms last minute. I remember someone asking about those. Uploading now.
Awesome! I'm gonna do a community fortress as soon as the release is posted.
My Area

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2014, 04:09:30 pm »

I remember it being noted that you aren't able to make steel as a hermit, so when I was assigning all my embark points I decided to take a look at bringing some ores with me and deciding on bismuth bronze because it would be cheapest and also the coolest. After about a year I got a smelter set up (noticing that you can't refine the ores which I think is probably a workshop that would be controversial to add but I personally think should be included) I looked all over the smelter and couldn't find any alloying reactions, nor did I see any workshops that seemed like you could make alloys there. So I would like to request that at least some alloys be allowed because, the hermit is a dwarf, and dwarves know a lot of alloys. So even if you want to restrict steel because it seems too high tech for a hermit living alone, bronze is way, way lower tech than steel.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2014, 04:13:10 pm »

I remember it being noted that you aren't able to make steel as a hermit, so when I was assigning all my embark points I decided to take a look at bringing some ores with me and deciding on bismuth bronze because it would be cheapest and also the coolest. After about a year I got a smelter set up (noticing that you can't refine the ores which I think is probably a workshop that would be controversial to add but I personally think should be included) I looked all over the smelter and couldn't find any alloying reactions, nor did I see any workshops that seemed like you could make alloys there. So I would like to request that at least some alloys be allowed because, the hermit is a dwarf, and dwarves know a lot of alloys. So even if you want to restrict steel because it seems too high tech for a hermit living alone, bronze is way, way lower tech than steel.
Added 3 metalworking furnaces. Finishing forge for early copper and bronze gear. Crucible, needs iron to be made, makes steel and upper-class metals from ore. Metallurgist, needs steel anvil to be made, makes and unmakes any alloy.

I think renaming the Workbench (Alchemy) to (Chemistry) and adding a second one for Alchemy that is a bit more fantasy-like would make sense. Currently all "alchemy" for the hermit is based on RL stuff, pearlash, potash, pitch, oil, blackpowder... not sure what I should give the alchemy one though. Its usually artificial gems, metal transmutation and ironbone/bloodsteel in the other races.
My Area

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2014, 04:22:07 pm »

Update is online. :) Hermit Challenge Thread in community section too: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142143.msg5564308#msg5564308

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2014, 04:23:43 pm »

Added 3 metalworking furnaces. Finishing forge for early copper and bronze gear. Crucible, needs iron to be made, makes steel and upper-class metals from ore. Metallurgist, needs steel anvil to be made, makes and unmakes any alloy.

I think renaming the Workbench (Alchemy) to (Chemistry) and adding a second one for Alchemy that is a bit more fantasy-like would make sense. Currently all "alchemy" for the hermit is based on RL stuff, pearlash, potash, pitch, oil, blackpowder... not sure what I should give the alchemy one though. Its usually artificial gems, metal transmutation and ironbone/bloodsteel in the other races.
I remember I went in game to check and make sure there wasn't anything I missed, but I guess I forgot to check the forum that I already read for something I missed. Thanks.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2014, 04:26:36 pm »

No worries. Its easy to miss something, when I just uploaded it.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2014, 04:57:54 pm »

No worries. Its easy to miss something, when I just uploaded it.
Speaking of, I don't see the link?
NVM, no longer just test version, it's in the real thing.
My Area

Rukja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2014, 05:01:48 pm »

soo
i have registred my self here post my feed back
so far the mode is funny played some howers but noticed also some bugs

since i didnt read only the first few pages i dont know if anyone else has explored the same (but since i waited the whole day to get activated i want to write it)
in all migration waves, at least one survived so i had 2, then 3 then 4
after that i had beginn to killed them so i can play again as a one man civ.

Also Caravans had begin to visit me after the 3rd Year.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23