Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 367708 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2850 on: December 04, 2017, 01:35:33 am »

What part of anything that's happened has given you idea that he might possibly have his shit together.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: December 04, 2017, 08:09:58 am »

The thing that I just can't understand is how he managed to mess this up. The only reason that he's late is because he's the one who gave us a timeline.

He could've said that he'd be putting out a video every month. Hell, he could've just put this one out and not said anything at all about future videos.

Given the first video, I also don't understand why he didn't have (at least) several videos worth of content, just playing the game that he was currently running.

Honestly, as someone who has seen clinical anxiety and depression at very close range, this doesn't surprise me at all. Breathtakingly simple tasks that should require no effort can become huge, nigh-impossible things entirely because of self-imposed significance and implication; they may be seeking to move forward, and they may have identified a path to do so, but it may feel entirely impossible to stay on the path they set - possibly just because doing so would mean succeeding, and they've convinced themself that is something they can't do; possibly because doing the simple task has been conflated with doing everything they'd need to do after that task; possibly any other number of wholly irrational reasons driven by fear, self-loathing, etc.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: December 04, 2017, 11:13:24 am »

Is there actually anyone who really thinks this game is going to come out at some point?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: December 04, 2017, 11:58:26 am »

I didn't, until the latest video. There just seems to be way too much work put into it for it to just be a scam - I mean, there's complete flavor text for items which are only on-screen for moments (as he's scrolling over to something else).

Now, whether or not the game will actually ever be released, or if it will remain in a 99%-complete state on the developer's computer forevermore as he tweaks it to perfection for the next decade... well... that remains to be seen.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: December 04, 2017, 12:04:50 pm »

I've never thought the game to be a scam, just a perfect storm of stress, pressure, mental anguish and death-by-poor-management combined with Kickstarter feature bloat.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: December 05, 2017, 09:55:55 pm »

I've never thought the game to be a scam, just a perfect storm of stress, pressure, mental anguish and death-by-poor-management combined with Kickstarter feature bloat.

I agree with this statement...

While bummed, I do always keep my expectations at kickstarter low. That being said he has not completely disappeared, perhaps because he is a good guy trying to do right, or perhaps because he is afraid of dire legal consequences. Obviously doing so through his own free will is prefered but either one will result in a game.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: December 05, 2017, 10:27:17 pm »

This.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: December 06, 2017, 12:22:51 am »

The thing that I just can't understand is how he managed to mess this up. The only reason that he's late is because he's the one who gave us a timeline.

He could've said that he'd be putting out a video every month. Hell, he could've just put this one out and not said anything at all about future videos.

Given the first video, I also don't understand why he didn't have (at least) several videos worth of content, just playing the game that he was currently running.

That's exactly my impression as well, and the developer's tendency to constantly provide deadlines which were constantly missed (regarding update video etc.) was the only reason why I did not back the Kickstarter; it indicates poor management skills which is very oft cause of delays.

I never understood why some indie devs give out unnecessary deadlines in such a way. There's a case of Rain World, which promoted its new massive update way too soon, suggesting fall release. In reality, public beta was finally released on November 30 due to long Q&A process. Plenty of the game's community members expressed discontent for this delay, which would not have happened if the dev's earlier promotion of the update did not set expectations.

Another case is Darkest Dungeon. Developer promised multiple times that Korean translation would be available through their communications with unofficial translators and on twitch chat. They have failed to meet this statement, and after years of no official news and multiple DLC updates (which pushes translation effort further), some Korean gamers are viewing the game pretty negatively at the moment.

Compare these cases to Routine. This rogue-like horror game hasn't been released several years after the promised release date, but nobody really gives significant attention to it because the dev team is keeping absolute radio silence, rarely giving (almost yearly) updates just to state that the project haven't been completely abandoned.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:24:42 am by ventuswings »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: December 06, 2017, 12:37:04 am »

I almost think a good strategy is to just let everyone think the project is dead, and only pop back into existence a couple months before you can release the thing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: December 06, 2017, 12:38:24 am »

I almost think a good strategy is to just let everyone think the project is dead, and only pop back into existence a couple months before you can release the thing.

And if nothing else get massive internet props for the play on the title.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: December 06, 2017, 01:11:31 am »

And if nothing else get massive internet props for the play on the title.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: December 06, 2017, 12:35:53 pm »

Well I guess the weekly videos arent happening

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: December 07, 2017, 11:29:49 am »

Well I guess the weekly videos arent happening

this could have been post from 3 years ago

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: December 07, 2017, 12:18:03 pm »

Lock
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: December 07, 2017, 12:26:12 pm »

Lock

I mean, I don't really see the point. I'm sure he'll post another video in a few months to stave off the kickstarter police/FTC/some state attorney general.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 210