Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 367754 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2760 on: November 22, 2017, 02:57:29 pm »

So, as silly as it sounds, there are three things in that video that convince me there's an actual game there. 

1. The sheer quantity of numbers on display.  Like, it's a ludicrous amount of exposed stats and numbers.  YMMV on whether that's a good thing in a game, but I struggle to believe someone just throwing together a mockup would make one with such information density.  It'd be sparse and pretty, less effort, right?

2. He frequently gets distracted by new menus or popups, cutting himself off mid-sentence to explain them.  I wouldn't expect this from someone showing off a fake, they'd have a tight script written beforehand.

3. Birds.  Yes, birds.  It's a completely unnecessary graphical feature that nobody would have noted the absence of.  A total waste of time for a scammer, but something a stressed out coder might well spend an hour or two working on to unwind.

My main concern now isn't that the game will never release (although I have no expectation of another video coming next week), it's that he's going to suddenly dump it into full release and it'll be impenetrable.  Multiple reworks and years of tweaking by one person, with little/no feedback from anyone else isn't really a recipe for ease of use, or even legibility when so information dense.  Here's to hoping it goes the early access / open beta route and he's receptive to feedback.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:33:41 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: November 22, 2017, 03:10:46 pm »

I recall that back when Darkest Dungeon was being kickstarted, the devs started a video series to show off the game, promising to upload more each week or so. I'm fairly certain that to date, there is only one video in that series. :P

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: November 22, 2017, 04:20:52 pm »

3. Birds.  Yes, birds.  It's a completely unnecessary graphical feature that nobody would have noted the absence of.  A total waste of time for a scammer, but something a stressed out coder might well spend an hour or two working on to unwind.

For what little it's worth, those birds have been there since before the Kickstarter. If you watch the Dev Log 2 video (on the YouTube channel), at around 19:15 Josh mentions the birds. Apparently at one point they could be upgraded to wraiths or wyverns.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: November 23, 2017, 03:43:10 am »

Birds are soft indicators for your "reach" or "influence" - at least that was the plan.

He wants to add several visual effects that show "ok, here is/was war here" or "magic here", that can give you a more global overview, while the numbers explain it all. The sort by X is great for this, if it works.

Anyone wants to do a bet for when the next video comes out? I can offer a Eador: Masters of the Broken World GoG Key + Mirror's Edge Origin Key as grand prize.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: November 23, 2017, 07:07:35 am »

I'm gonna be optimistic.  Late December.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: November 23, 2017, 09:39:07 am »

Ooh! That could be fun. My guess is Mid-January, perhaps around the 7th. Reasoning being that December can be a hella busy month.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: November 23, 2017, 09:51:49 am »

I don't really use Google or Origin, but I'm expecting Q1 2018, or it'll go back to sleep, possibly forever. That's the most likely option. Q2 is also a credible possibility. I think a release this year is only possible if he took the mature and reasonable strategy of actually waiting until the game was done to resume marketing by doing videos. If that were the case, though, I would have expected to see some reference to the demo in the backer update, since its release would necessarily precede full release.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: November 23, 2017, 11:14:36 am »

I'm going to be absolutely insane and say a week from yesterday - Nov 29.

I don't actually expect it, but Josh sounded like he's taking this a bit more realistically from the last update, so maybe that translates into doing what he said. Maybe. Kinda.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: November 23, 2017, 04:31:37 pm »

at best we will get another video in 10 days and then another in a month and then nothing

i want to be wrong about all of this but i just don't believe it

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: November 23, 2017, 04:50:28 pm »

Regardless of when it comes out, I’m content in the knowledge that it’s still being worked on. Even if it ends up taking another 5 years or something, it’ll still be a game I can buy, and that’s enough for me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: November 23, 2017, 05:25:07 pm »

Regardless of when it comes out, I’m content in the knowledge that it’s still being worked on. Even if it ends up taking another 5 years or something, it’ll still be a game I can buy, and that’s enough for me.

i sure hope so. after all, a company is at steak!!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: November 24, 2017, 02:06:54 am »

i sure hope so. after all, a company is at steak!!
A company is nothing without a product anyway.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: November 24, 2017, 03:47:13 am »

I'm aiming at 14th Dez - always suspect something to take 3x longer then you planned.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: November 24, 2017, 01:12:31 pm »

I'm going for the big balls play.  The next video will come out before December 2. 

I haven't watched it yet.  I'm not afraid Josh will hurt me again.  I'm just incapable of feeling anything about this game anymore.  I can barely remember why I was excited by it.  The original thread and the subsequent demo and video debacle all happened in (not exaggerating) the worst couple months of my life.  The lowest point.  All my memories of the game are soaked in nauseous dread, just by proximity.

Also:

SBT guy mentions he wants to contact Josh.
SBT guy goes on "hiatus"
Josh comes back with huge video and apparent progress.

Josh killed SBT guy and ate his brain.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:16:55 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: November 24, 2017, 01:20:47 pm »

My mental image of Josh is now a mind flayer coding away at a game. Thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 210