Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 366957 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2310 on: August 01, 2016, 04:37:26 pm »

I just wish that he'd stayed in this thread to chat after the kickstarter. :'(

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: August 05, 2016, 10:14:23 am »

We are now simplifying the Behavioral AI that was the foundation for the simulation.

Hype-death.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2313 on: August 05, 2016, 10:20:55 am »

We are now simplifying the Behavioral AI that was the foundation for the simulation.

Hype-death.
given that the AI was a major source of delay and bugs, its probably necessary for the moment just to get a minimum viable product out there.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: August 05, 2016, 10:37:51 am »

Yeah but isn't that what was supposed to set the game apart from the rest? That the world and the process of the gameplay playing out was going to be highly dynamic because the AI was making decisions? I mean yeah I guess I'm happy to play TWS as essentially a Dominions 4 Easy AI curb stomp but....that's a pretty far cry from the initial project.

I'm getting Netgain vibes from the game now, where the developer goes down the rabbit hole of simplifying their game and discovers it tears the guts out of it and their enthusiasm to work on it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: August 05, 2016, 10:59:39 am »

Isn't it supposed to be first and foremost a simulation? 
The AI shouldn't make the 'optimum' decision everytime, they should be making decisions on their AI personality/inclinations and actual knowledge(fog of war). 
Which could essentially make it an easy AI curbstomp if the mechanics/balance behind the gameplay are poor.

The game should allow room for screwing around with side projects like turning a heroes bloodline demonic or relentlessly harassing some poor nobody adventurer so that they'd go insane, just causeexperimentation, failures, and comebacks.  Rather then becoming an inevitable landslide.   This applies to both the NPC entities and the player.
At least that is how I see it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: August 05, 2016, 11:01:12 am »

Can we just put a bullet in this game's head already? Jesus.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 05, 2016, 12:26:57 pm »

Huh, well at this point I think I'm done with this thing. Anybody know how exactly I go about getting a refund?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: August 05, 2016, 12:35:40 pm »

Message Fenicks on the forums I guess.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: August 05, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »

Hm. I suppose I have an account for the forums. Maybe  :)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: August 05, 2016, 01:02:07 pm »

I'm not sure messaging Fenicks on the forum is a thing you can do... I think he has PM turned off or something. At least, I could never see that link on his profile.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: August 05, 2016, 03:52:14 pm »

I'm getting Netgain vibes from the game now, where the developer goes down the rabbit hole of simplifying their game and discovers it tears the guts out of it and their enthusiasm to work on it.
Could be the case, or it might be that the system is simplified for the moment and expanded upon later, bringing it back to its supposed original glory at a more opportune time.

Either way, I'm just happy that there seems to be something, even if it ends up being a lesser experience than what was initially proposed.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: August 05, 2016, 06:40:47 pm »

Very disappointing but the Civ 5 AI is basically retarded and I've gotten over 400 hours of enjoyment out of that game.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: August 05, 2016, 08:01:00 pm »

Don't forget that this magic deterministic AI shit wasn't actually in the original "game" we were promised, whatever that was and whatever became of it.

The way he originally described it a lot of AI features used to be hardcoded, like the Alliance which formed automatically when the conditions were fulfilled, rather than being something that could happen or not happen to various degrees according to the whims of the magic AI.  The stretch goals, mainly extended game and procedural generation, required those hard-coded elements to become dynamic, and that's when things went off the rails.
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: August 05, 2016, 08:13:43 pm »

Even as someone who is very leery of this game, I'm surprised at the negative reaction to this announcement here.

I'll take a game with some simplified features (hell, he didn't even say how simplified, the changes could be minor) that actually comes out over a beautiful pipedream any day of the week.  This is how game dev works; you need to simplify, redesign and even cut out features all the time.  You could probably count the games that haven't on your fingers.  He should have come to this realisation months ago.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 210