Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 367917 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1890 on: February 16, 2016, 06:35:07 pm »

A increasing number of refunds (no suprise) has forced a dev to post after a long sleep. Otherwise the forum went from a post every 3 hours to a post every 3 days. At least none is dead.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: February 16, 2016, 06:42:13 pm »

That's gotta be rough. You spend most or all of your Kickstarter money on assets and extra help, then the refunds calls start coming in....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: February 16, 2016, 08:14:22 pm »

Link to the post?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: February 17, 2016, 11:09:29 am »

Link to the post?

i believe it is on a blocked forum, but i found it elsewhere:

Quote from: Fenicks
Hi. 

I haven't spent a lot of time on these boards lately because - as you know - we have not been giving or doing any updates.  This is completely unacceptable and I'm embarrassed by the way communication has been handled.  I don't feel like coming on every week and saying "Still no update" is helpful so I have shirked that responsibility to a degree.  The last time we spoke was n the 10th and I was assured Josh is still working everyday and fully expects the game to be released and just needs "more time".

I got quite a few refund requests over the past week and I've been trying to figure out how to handle them.  Here is where we are at:

We have a very small amount of funds leftover from the KS - they are currently being used in a very small capacity - an occasional asset purchase and to pay a few recurring costs such as adobe fees, storage, and a few other things.  For all intents and purposes our Kickstarter dollars are accounted for.

So when it comes to refunds we've reached the point where we just can't really afford to do it - especially at the magnitude with which we got them requested.

If you purchased on Paypal:

You can charge back or request cancellation directly through Paypal. 

If you backed us originally on Kickstarter at the Beta tier or above:

We don't have the ability to refund you now.  If we come to the conclusion that the game can't or won't be released we'll start a system where we slooooowly start refunding everyone out of pocket.  I didn't even think of the best way to do this but keep in mind that it would make me personally responsible for $30,000+ - so yes it would take us to a decade to pay everyone back - but we would figure out a way to start a lottery system or something.  I would start with the highest tiers though so when no one gets money for 2 years thanks awesomeguys like Sean.

If you backed us on Kickstarter at the preorder tier:

I'm really sorry I can't envision us ever being able to come up with the remaining 60+ thousand dollars. 

FULL DISCLAIMER - the game will be released, I don't plan on ever having to refund anyone, but I hope by hearing from me and having these terms and explanations laid out for you can put you all at rest.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: February 17, 2016, 11:43:11 am »

Uh oh.....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: February 17, 2016, 11:44:06 am »

My thoughts exactly
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: February 17, 2016, 11:47:48 am »

That which sleeps, the beast's awakening has successfully been further delayed.

(Prediction: Developers needs monies, find normal jobs to pay bills and refunds, that which sleeps regulated to hobby.)
>.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: February 17, 2016, 11:52:23 am »

I get why the knee-jerk reaction to "we don't have much money" is to start worrying, but really, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

Yes, a company with one fixed, one-time cash influx, expenditures, and no income is going to run out of money. That's kinda a given, and it's not terribly surprising they don't have the liquidity to handle unexpected expenses (refunds). Software dev is a bit of a different beast in that work can still proceed without any money. Josh will need to find living funds elsewhere, but it sounds like he's been doing that the entire time, so that's nothing new.

So, yes, KDG doesn't have any money. But that doesn't have any bearing on whether work's happening or not because, like many software kickstarters, work's been happening independent of the company finances.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: February 17, 2016, 12:27:53 pm »

The kickstarter was mostly to get funds to hire artists afaik, which is something it's already done; the game has pretty pictures now, and just requires programing, which is something that a determined programmer can do without much funding.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: February 17, 2016, 01:07:37 pm »

I get why the knee-jerk reaction to "we don't have much money" is to start worrying, but really, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

Yes, a company with one fixed, one-time cash influx, expenditures, and no income is going to run out of money. That's kinda a given, and it's not terribly surprising they don't have the liquidity to handle unexpected expenses (refunds). Software dev is a bit of a different beast in that work can still proceed without any money. Josh will need to find living funds elsewhere, but it sounds like he's been doing that the entire time, so that's nothing new.

So, yes, KDG doesn't have any money. But that doesn't have any bearing on whether work's happening or not because, like many software kickstarters, work's been happening independent of the company finances.
It's more the fact that the beta backers section, which is the biggest of them, is all "here's what we will do if the game is never completed".

The kickstarter was mostly to get funds to hire artists afaik, which is something it's already done; the game has pretty pictures now, and just requires programing, which is something that a determined programmer can do without much funding.
The determination of the coder is one of those things that's been questioned.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: February 17, 2016, 01:12:20 pm »

Josh! Stay determined!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: February 17, 2016, 03:29:31 pm »

Josh! Stay determined!
Dammit Egan don't try to distract Josh with Undertale
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: February 17, 2016, 03:39:45 pm »

:v
Jokes aside, thats exactly the point. Even if the main dev/coder is having lots of troubles with the game, if he just had kept regular contact with the community, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have nearly as many refund requests to deal with. The community has repeately said they would be ok with waiting more if Josh actualy told them what the hell is happening. Instead he just kind of went poof from the internet for extended periods of time and now pretty much everyone is questioning just how determined he is about the project.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: February 17, 2016, 03:59:05 pm »

This kind of stuff can easily lead into a negative feedback loop. Problems -> delays -> community anger/mistrust -> less incentive to stay in touch -> community anger/mistrust -> less motivation to work -> more delays etc etc.

I think it is the same kind of trouble GRRM might have finishing his next book.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: February 17, 2016, 04:02:50 pm »

From what I saw pre- and during-kickstarter, he is determined. I hope that the way things have gone since haven't made him otherwise, because he seemed genuinely exited.about the project.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 210