Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 367945 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1815 on: January 22, 2016, 12:18:46 pm »

Hehe. Perhaps he is banned from the official forum? Anyway he started his crusade in 2015.02.

Forum's backer only right? I seem to recall that he de-backed himself which would technically cause him to be banned, in a way.

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 22, 2016, 12:28:45 pm »

Hehe. Perhaps he is banned from the official forum?
He was banned from the forum in October 2015, along with one other.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: January 22, 2016, 02:58:53 pm »

How can someone obsess so much about a game? It is just a game. Nice if it comes out and turns awesome, but if not, meh. It won't ruin lives. It won't kill anyone.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1818 on: January 22, 2016, 03:08:50 pm »

How can someone obsess so much about a game? It is just a game. Nice if it comes out and turns awesome, but if not, meh. It won't ruin lives. It won't kill anyone.
I'm guessing some of it is coming from backers who already have money on the line.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: January 22, 2016, 03:21:27 pm »

He gave $10, and then got it back. See, this is important.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: January 22, 2016, 03:34:07 pm »

He gave $10, and then got it back. See, this is important.

I think he mentioned that he was actually in for $50, before he got banned and refunded. Not that that changes anything... $50 still isn't that much money in this context.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: January 22, 2016, 05:59:20 pm »

Don't know about that, $50 is almost AAA title price range, but regardless, he did get the money back, so his huge crusade seems a bit odd. I wouldn't call it "discourtesy" on the part of the dev, lack of professionalism maybe, but not discourtesy. He did apologize for delays and lack of info before. Given the scope of the game and his explanations, its not hard to understand how and why the delays are happening, altough the dev does seem to have a problem with keeping the community informed of development.

In comparison, ToadyOne, with sole help of Threetoe, manages both DF's development, community administration and donation gifts, while keeping us posted on DF development on a several days per week basis, and most of his periods of silence were explained later and were mostly shorter then Josh's periods of silence.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:07:44 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: January 22, 2016, 08:26:34 pm »

I'd say that comes with expirience and habit more than anything. Toady has been doing this stuff for years, this guy barely a year. True, he could be putting more effort into getting an organized and timely community update thing going on but hey, as long as the game gets made I really don't care that much.

If anything, regular updates would probably just get me hyped and make the wait all the more annoying.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: January 22, 2016, 08:40:52 pm »

I mostly have to hold back the urge to start another "it's dead-riot" on the offical forum at this point... Just would be nice to have some clarity, beginning of the end hanging overhead and all that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: January 22, 2016, 09:20:58 pm »

I'll admit the name of the game is pretty ironic at this point. Whateve's though, they're going to either get it made or they won't. I'm in the position now of basically acting like it's vaporware so if it does turn out to be that, I won't be as disappointed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: January 22, 2016, 09:53:45 pm »

I wouldn't call it "discourtesy" on the part of the dev, lack of professionalism maybe, but not discourtesy.
The first analogy that comes to mind is if I order food delivered and they tell me it'll be there in 30 minutes. If 30 minutes comes and goes, and then another 30, and I never hear from the restaurant of the deliverer, I would consider that discourtesy. Ditto a friend who says they'll pick me up at the airport at 2pm, the cable guy who says he'll be by at 11... and on and on. If one is not going to make the time that one says that they well, it is polite to inform the other person of your tardiness, whether you can give an updated timeline or not. And it's discourteous to not do so.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: January 22, 2016, 10:19:19 pm »

I wouldn't call it "discourtesy" on the part of the dev, lack of professionalism maybe, but not discourtesy.
The first analogy that comes to mind is if I order food delivered and they tell me it'll be there in 30 minutes. If 30 minutes comes and goes, and then another 30, and I never hear from the restaurant of the deliverer, I would consider that discourtesy. Ditto a friend who says they'll pick me up at the airport at 2pm, the cable guy who says he'll be by at 11... and on and on. If one is not going to make the time that one says that they well, it is polite to inform the other person of your tardiness, whether you can give an updated timeline or not. And it's discourteous to not do so.

A more accurate analogy would be if you order food and they said it'll be there in 30 minutes. 30 minutes later they call and say they will be 30 minutes late. 30 minutes later they call again and say they will be 30 minutes late. So on and so on...

It is now two weeks later. The food place last called a couple hours ago.

My point is is that they've given so many "updated timelines" which they then failed to meet that I can't really trust them with regards to any new timelines. Really all I can expect at this point is for them to continue development and maybe I'll get surprised by a beta a couple months down the line.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: January 23, 2016, 12:27:46 am »

Still no news, and our messenger has stopped hearing anything either. We have no reason to believe Josh isn't working, but no word of anything has reached anyone on the forums. General consensus, and the recommendation from Sean the mod and messenger, is for the forum to go into hibernation and everyone find something else to do.

I believe Josh is working, but very slowly. From what I understand he is working full time to support himself, and not on the game. Thus the game is only progressing in Josh's spare time.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 23, 2016, 05:33:45 am »

When the timeline and broken promises are laid out like that though, it really is quite dismal. While I can agree with you guys that it might be more productive to go "fuck it" and leave the game at that, it doesn't really make sense to criticize a guy for writing a blog post that's critical of the affair. After all, people sometimes do things that aren't totally productive, and it's hard to not be frustrated if you're someone who, like me, would like this game to actually get released and be as good as it appears that it could be.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 23, 2016, 05:55:45 am »

When the timeline and broken promises are laid out like that though, it really is quite dismal. While I can agree with you guys that it might be more productive to go "fuck it" and leave the game at that, it doesn't really make sense to criticize a guy for writing a blog post that's critical of the affair. After all, people sometimes do things that aren't totally productive, and it's hard to not be frustrated if you're someone who, like me, would like this game to actually get released and be as good as it appears that it could be.

If it was just a blog post it would be okay (although you have to read his blog to believe how bad it is), but he has gone on a rampage a few times across multiple forums randomly spamming his views on how terrible TWS is, even places that didn't have any discussion on the subject previously.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 210