Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 368262 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1335 on: April 27, 2015, 01:02:07 pm »

I'm not too worried, they've apparently got playtesters who've been playing.

One thing I'm not mega-excited about, but I don't see many other ways to do it, is the whole "you have all these powers but if you use them you'll get stomped" thing.  Sometimes I want to be the huge bad guy smashing an enemy who has no chance.  My mod idea is sort of leaning towards this.

Spoiler: My mod idea (click to show/hide)

You can sort of see where I'm trying to go with power.  I'll be tuning it so you have to be subtle and everything, but once you've got the initiative the god's designed to end the game in spectacular fashion with a flying battlestation and world-scarring magitech weaponry.  If it's possible I'll also give The Abomination Project special results if you corrupt the chosen one, again designed with a philosophy of "If you can pull this off you're going to win anyway so we may as well have fun with totally overpowered shit"
Shoes...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 27, 2015, 02:15:55 pm »

I very much like that idea.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 27, 2015, 02:39:52 pm »

The main problem is if those playtesters have been at it the whole time, what with repetition and everything.  They'll end up knowing the mechanics like the back of their hand and difficulty could be based on what they consider 'normal'.

/justmaybeallbasescouldbecovereddownthelineifithasn'tbeenalready
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 27, 2015, 02:57:56 pm »

Nice idea. You mention faerie - were you thinking (cos I was when I saw the video) of making them racially fully honorable, or whatever that slider was? The way it was described was that they'd never go back on their word or a deal made, even if it costs them - being magically bound to oaths seems to fit the Fae pretty well. Of course, it'd be nice if they could be simultaneously deceitful in some ways.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 27, 2015, 03:13:39 pm »

Yes, actually. 

I've got an alternate map where they live in a huge island on the end of the archipelago.  Here it is in-editor.  It's a lot more cramped than I expected, depending on how sea-travel works I may need to make the map bigger or the landmasses smaller. 

I'm thinking two types of sylvan folk.  The new island is half forest and half swamp with a mountain range in between.  One half is honorable and upright and extremely rigid while the other is wild and chaotic and dangerous.  Neither is good or evil, they're beyond that.  Both can be manipulated.
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: April 27, 2015, 03:39:32 pm »

Well I supported it with Paypal, wonder when beta starts/confirmation Email shows up : )

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: April 27, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »

The main problem is if those playtesters have been at it the whole time, what with repetition and everything.  They'll end up knowing the mechanics like the back of their hand and difficulty could be based on what they consider 'normal'.

/justmaybeallbasescouldbecovereddownthelineifithasn'tbeenalready

The beta testers (as in, the people who backed at a beta level - not the current playtesters) are apparently the line of defense for that - the game won't be released to the wider public until the beta testers give the go-ahead.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: April 27, 2015, 08:11:37 pm »

From what I understand, the difficulty is flexible and widely influenced by whatever option you use to employ. I remember reading even devs found game impossible with combination of "wise leaders" and "strong hero" option; of course, these could be considered major tweaks, what I meant to say was the difficulty should probably not be a problem with so many 'sliders' one can adjust to find challenge perfect for you.

As for the normal game, I read on another forum that dev actually expect new players to fail several times due to nature of the game - without experience, they could not identify seemingly insignificant variables that would in the future become major threats if left uncontrolled. Sounds like some understanding of the game mechanics, though probably not "like back of their hand", is critical foundation for the success, which one should ascertain through repetition.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 28, 2015, 09:09:59 am »

From what I understand, the difficulty is flexible and widely influenced by whatever option you use to employ. I remember reading even devs found game impossible with combination of "wise leaders" and "strong hero" option; of course, these could be considered major tweaks, what I meant to say was the difficulty should probably not be a problem with so many 'sliders' one can adjust to find challenge perfect for you.

Oh boy, the harder the better! These 2 options -what you've mentioned- [wise leaders & strong heroes] will be excellent for endless mode.  8)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1344 on: April 28, 2015, 09:53:57 am »

What is endless mode?

I was thinking the other day that it would be very cool if there were a 'soft lose' condition which didn't result in your death but rather put you back to sleep for another century or two. This has the game advance time, politics change, borders change, some knowledge of you is forgotten... but maybe a few enduring cults maintain knowledge of you and awaken you again, or stand ready to oppose you.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: April 28, 2015, 10:07:51 am »

It's a Kickstarter stretch goal, so this gameplay mode will be added later on. When they add it, I am pretty sure that I will play in this mode only, since it offers extended & enhanced gameplay [IE. looooooooong & epicly fun games!].  8)
Anyway, you can read about it here: http://thatwhichsleeps.gamepedia.com/Endless_Mode

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:10:58 am by gimli »

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: April 28, 2015, 11:48:29 am »

It's a Kickstarter stretch goal, so this gameplay mode will be added later on. When they add it, I am pretty sure that I will play in this mode only, since it offers extended & enhanced gameplay [IE. looooooooong & epicly fun games!].  8)
Anyway, you can read about it here: http://thatwhichsleeps.gamepedia.com/Endless_Mode

...Is that going to be the long-term home of the wiki? It's really not a fun site to browse - Adblock takes out some of the formatting, making it impossible to read, but disabling adblock gets me bombarded with ads.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1347 on: April 28, 2015, 11:55:24 am »

God I hope not, especially considering how easy it is to host your own wiki.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 28, 2015, 12:31:42 pm »

...Is that going to be the long-term home of the wiki? It's really not a fun site to browse - Adblock takes out some of the formatting, making it impossible to read, but disabling adblock gets me bombarded with ads.

I guess only KDG knows the proper answer to your question. I don't know too much about the wiki sites, which one is the best anyway?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 28, 2015, 02:36:20 pm »

I guess only KDG knows the proper answer to your question. I don't know too much about the wiki sites, which one is the best anyway?
A dead tree manual.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 210