Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 368286 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1275 on: April 03, 2015, 09:32:56 pm »

I'm thinking we could either focus on the communal aspect of Bay 12, with maybe a sea creature of some kind, or something related to (more or less) receptive harbours, and trade, interaction between distant shores, or we could focus more on Dwarf Fortressy side of things. I'm thinking a primal of artifice, a statue that accepts offerings of blood and bones, flesh, alcohol, precious stones, weapons... primal things that we fought for, that we made for killing, that we created. The blood of creation. I would also quote something to set the mood for what I thought, from Tibullus:

WHO was the first that forg'd the deadly blade?
Of rugged steel his savage soul was made:
By him, his bloody flag ambition wav'd;
And grisly carnage through the battle rav'd.
Yet wherefore blame him? we're ourselves to blame;
Arms first were forg'd to kill t he savage game:
Death-dealing battles were unknown of old;
Death-dealing battles took their rise from gold

The (Fallen?) Primal of Artifice
Image: A tall, dark, foreboding statue before whom sacrifices are strewn about, bowls of blood, swords, bones, gold, et cetera.
Power: With great industry and sacrifice, its power can be used to craft horrifying weapons. It will also increase industry at the cost of some increased unrest.

Campaign effects:
Alliance's aims: A sufficiently desperate or brave/foolhardy hero gains a weapon. The alliance strives to create a powerful yet relatively safe weapon, and ideally (I don't know the limits of this campaign) the agent can try and interfere with this process, either corrupting it to a degree or another, or...
Agent's overwhelming victory: The newly crafted weapon is taken by the now-animate primal, who will become an asset for evil forces.

A primal of Artifice would be perfect! 

Personally though I think it should just change what kind of artifact it produces, not animate it... if your agents succeed, it creates horrible things?  Lots of room for dwarf fortress shinanigans!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 04, 2015, 03:10:37 am »

I'm thinking we could either focus on the communal aspect of Bay 12, with maybe a sea creature of some kind, or something related to (more or less) receptive harbours, and trade, interaction between distant shores, or we could focus more on Dwarf Fortressy side of things. I'm thinking a primal of artifice, a statue that accepts offerings of blood and bones, flesh, alcohol, precious stones, weapons... primal things that we fought for, that we made for killing, that we created. The blood of creation. I would also quote something to set the mood for what I thought, from Tibullus:

WHO was the first that forg'd the deadly blade?
Of rugged steel his savage soul was made:
By him, his bloody flag ambition wav'd;
And grisly carnage through the battle rav'd.
Yet wherefore blame him? we're ourselves to blame;
Arms first were forg'd to kill t he savage game:
Death-dealing battles were unknown of old;
Death-dealing battles took their rise from gold

Image: A tall, dark, foreboding statue before whom sacrifices are strewn about, bowls of blood, swords, bones, gold, et cetera.
Power: With great industry and sacrifice, its power can be used to craft horrifying weapons. It will also increase industry at the cost of some increased unrest.

Campaign effects:
Alliance's aims: A sufficiently desperate or brave/foolhardy hero gains a weapon. The alliance strives to create a powerful yet relatively safe weapon, and ideally (I don't know the limits of this campaign) the agent can try and interfere with this process, either corrupting it to a degree or another, or...
Agent's overwhelming victory: The newly crafted weapon is taken by the now-animate primal, who will become an asset for evil forces.

A primal of Artifice would be perfect! 

Personally though I think it should just change what kind of artifact it produces, not animate it... if your agents succeed, it creates horrible things?  Lots of room for dwarf fortress shinanigans!

I really like this idea, though I think the power should be something more unique than just increasing industry. Crafting a weapon sounds good, but what sort of weapon(s), with what sort of powers? Really powerful ones, I assume, but something thematically appropriate. A blade that grows in power with every life it takes? A spear that spreads a weakening corruption in metal it touches? There could be an option to have it craft an army too, or a siege engine special unit.

Or it could be something Coaxmetal-ly, a sentient, genocidal siege engine that can be awakened and harnessed by the forces of darkness (or maybe really desperate heroes). Or unleashed to wreak havoc and attack everything it sees.

On the other hand, I like the undying elf king too, particularily the redemption angle for the alliance victory. There's so much corruption and morally grey desperation here, redeeming and curing someone to the side of good has an appeal.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 04, 2015, 07:13:17 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's true, I was very much unsure about the powers myself. I do like the crafting of weapons and the corrupting of that process, so that ought to stay in this idea. I think it's a neat parallel to the moods in Dwarf Fortress. Perhaps that ought to be the power the Primal has, and the campaign could be around the unrest, or rather the effects of artifice, both its product and its process.

The different sides would seek to control the violence of the statue, of the craft, not just through the weapons it can inspire to be crafted, but through the worship it possibly produces. Like any government. It ought to have something "primal" to it, however, so it's not too prosaic. Something fell. Let us try.
Spoiler: Tibullus (click to show/hide)
Power: With incredible industry and sacrifice, with great despair or even greater bravery, its power can be used to craft horrifying weapons. This process can be influenced by that which sleeps, producing corruptive weaponry.

Campaign effects
Alliance overwhelming victory: The ancient cult around the statue is totally eliminated, and replaced by controlled worship. Powerful arms are created for the soldiery, and the soldiery is inspired to measured and purposeful acts against any threats to order. Those with violent inclinations are as if guided towards the [state's] military, bolstering ranks and reducing unrest.
Agent overwhelming victory: Not only is the ancient cult now stronger than ever since the primal times, the military of the [state] has been deeply influenced, mastered by the implements they themselves sought to master. This army, headed by the cult, constituted of the fanatical and the professional, the rabble and the military, now seeks to expand its might and the faith.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 04, 2015, 01:30:16 pm »

It's true, I was very much unsure about the powers myself. I do like the crafting of weapons and the corrupting of that process, so that ought to stay in this idea. I think it's a neat parallel to the moods in Dwarf Fortress. Perhaps that ought to be the power the Primal has, and the campaign could be around the unrest, or rather the effects of artifice, both its product and its process.

The different sides would seek to control the violence of the statue, of the craft, not just through the weapons it can inspire to be crafted, but through the worship it possibly produces. Like any government. It ought to have something "primal" to it, however, so it's not too prosaic. Something fell. Let us try.
Spoiler: Tibullus (click to show/hide)
Power: With incredible industry and sacrifice, with great despair or even greater bravery, its power can be used to craft horrifying weapons. This process can be influenced by that which sleeps, producing corruptive weaponry.

Campaign effects
Alliance overwhelming victory: The ancient cult around the statue is totally eliminated, and replaced by controlled worship. Powerful arms are created for the soldiery, and the soldiery is inspired to measured and purposeful acts against any threats to order. Those with violent inclinations are as if guided towards the [state's] military, bolstering ranks and reducing unrest.
Agent overwhelming victory: Not only is the ancient cult now stronger than ever since the primal times, the military of the [state] has been deeply influenced, mastered by the implements they themselves sought to master. This army, headed by the cult, constituted of the fanatical and the professional, the rabble and the military, now seeks to expand its might and the faith.

This one sounds really fun.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 04, 2015, 04:08:55 pm »

Personally, I'd vote for the Hell-ephant. Barring that, the Primal of Artifice is nice as well, so long as it menaces with spikes of adamantium or some such :)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 04, 2015, 04:57:47 pm »

I'm really liking the Primal of Artifice.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: April 04, 2015, 04:59:01 pm »

Could be a randomly generated forgotten beast that could have any number of effects.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 04, 2015, 05:38:15 pm »

Yeah, I don't think mine will win, so I'll throw in another vote for Artifice
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: April 04, 2015, 05:50:27 pm »

The only thing missing there is really a end goal in that statue.

I don't know I am picturing the statue and trying to see a sort of beginning and an end.

But really the statue almost feels like a non-entity. Even if "Super powered agents and soldiers" is a strong ability.

It needs a small injection of personality.

Though I guess that could occur in game with effects the more "Worshippers" it gets. Where the things it makes start off innocently enough but after it gets powerful enough people go mad in the street murdering each other to turn their bodies into macabre visages, weapons, or what have you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:52:57 pm by Neonivek »

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: April 04, 2015, 05:55:03 pm »

I am elated that my proposal is gaining traction, naturally... but I would feel guilty if I did not at least make it explicit that I welcome any and all collaboration and comments on it. I treasure Bay 12 for its community as much as I treasure it for the common factor in Dwarf Fortress, so please, feel free to lay your hands on it, alter it, if you have thoughts on it. I'll try and write up something more characterising for the statue tomorrow, myself.
I feel like such a wanker, having written that. I feel dirty, fouled. Egocentric, like a proper tosser and narcissist. Like a public relations speaker. I should not try and be friendly and amiable. :P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 06:02:19 pm by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 04, 2015, 06:11:09 pm »

I would actually like to suggest a tweak to the primal of artifice, don't know if it should be a campaign or a special ability.

Once in a while the primal possesses a craftman who seeks out a set of rare and strange materials across the world to make a masterpiece of some sort. If properly managed by the heroes and the situation is right the craftman's quest goes well and they collect the raw materials peacefully and make an item of great beauty and skill (though without any inherent magical affect) that unifies the cultures, nations and races that the resources used to make it were acquired from. Agents can interefere to provide the raw materials through more questionable means, leading to a masterpiece claimed and fought over by the groups the raw materials were taken from, those who hold the masterpiece gain the ire of all those who suffered for it to be made.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 04, 2015, 06:17:27 pm »

As much as I know you guys want to just make "Armok" and add him to the game, as it is rather clear to me that is what is being attempted, I am not sure translating DF mechanics into this game directly is going to work too much.

Though Mithras that ability suggests a different type of game altogether.

Where the God of Artiface actually just wants craftsmen and artists and uses its ability to attract them unnaturally (Through possession) and naturally (through wonderful stuff). As well as having access to all kinds of resources in large quantities.

It would make such a end goal probably to create... The Primal of Artiface himself.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 04, 2015, 10:19:28 pm »

Yeah I'm pretty sure some kind of special procedural system just for a shout-out would be beyond the scope of the original examples. By a lot.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 04, 2015, 10:35:02 pm »

Yeah... they might be able to do something like a randomly generated description, because that's relatively easy, but a full-on randomly generated primal would definitely be beyond the scope.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 05, 2015, 07:39:18 am »

Personally, I'd vote for the Hell-ephant.

Could be a randomly generated forgotten beast.

Yeah, it should be a generated forgotten beast. That is "properly DFish" at least.  :)

Like this little one..:D
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 210