Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 368312 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1215 on: March 13, 2015, 11:12:37 pm »

The FAQ on their website says closed beta begins this month, is this still on schedule? And if I buy it from their website now, do I get access to this closed beta?

I think it's safe to say closed beta is not this month. The Map Editor just came out a few weeks ago and the Scenario Editor has yet to arrive. Their whole time table was pushed back like, what, 6 months? They probably need to update the website.

If you buy in now, all you're getting is the backer forum access and Map Builder access, and access to the closed beta (I assume) whenever it arrives.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 13, 2015, 11:57:04 pm »

Closed beta has been pushed back because of some new features like Ley Lines.

I'm a little disappointed. As a gamblin' fluff I don't fuck with the limits I set on myself, so seeing them go back on their original intention to feature lock the first week of march because they wanted to add more features makes me a little :T

But it's one time.  If they do it again I'll worry.  For now I'm still optimistic and the feature htey added is really cool.

Modder tools are apparently coming out by the end of the month though.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 14, 2015, 12:25:56 am »

I suppose it doesn't bother me because I have confidence that they can do what they imagine. I don't feel like they're indie devs who get pressured into additional features and have to scramble to try and make it work. They're methodical about what they do, and that probably has something to do with the novels worth of writing they do about their work and how their confidence in it comes across.

Still, getting on toward an actual release would be good. Truth be told I'd rather they skip releasing the Scenario Builder and leave it for mid EA or something. I have no interest in playing with mod tools when updates will invalidate pretty much anything you're spending your time on.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 14, 2015, 04:00:00 am »

The feature lock is in. To quote Josh:

Quote from: Josh
A long and tiring week comes to an end - we pushed ourselves to the deadline (and to be honest a few hours past) to get as much as possible in before closing the door on new features (until after the Beta). We are now officially polishing up for Beta - this involves mostly altering the GUI for all of the new features we've put in or expanded upon for stretch goals as well as bringing all of the out of date content up to the new standards. The AI as well has to be modernized with all of the new possibilities of the game, a process we've been trying to stay atop of as we rolled out new features with moderate success. Yes we had hoped to be here at the End of January but I'm quite happy with our progress and excited to hit this milestone with the list of features and enhancements that we have.

Summary from the other points in the update:
- Devlogs are slightly delayed due to cramming as much as possible before the deadline. Sunday should see the release of the first mod tutorial. And we can also look forward to gameplay videos.
- A lot of time has been put in integrating the map editor and scenario editor and it looks rather pretty.
- Buzzwords: Orc Tribes with special traits, Zealot Nobles, Noble Families,
- Bloodlines which can pass magical traits, allowing for cursed human civilizations or magical families
- More and better advisers for governments, the Military Councillor has a more important vote on military matter, you can convince the king that he really needs an occult adviser and your agent is just the man for the job.
- Some new institutions and interactions with them, the spymaster could be the boss of an inquisition, while a Master of Coin could practice State Capitalism by owning his very own merchant guild.
- Assets are looking lovely and are ahead of schedule mostly.
- Beta is still planned for April.
- We're almost up for a new race vote, so if you're not a backer yet, this is the time.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 14, 2015, 08:42:54 am »

Nice!...can't wait to see the video tomorrow.  8)

PS.
I am not surprised that they need more time to release the BETA. They've added lot of awesome new stuff. If the AI will be good enough, this game will be epic with all these gameplay features. I am only unhappy about 1 thing: Endless Mode won't be available at release, since it's a KS stretch goal. Oh well.  :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:16:00 am by gimli »

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 16, 2015, 07:32:24 am »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 16, 2015, 09:15:38 am »

Those monsters, ending the video mid-sentence. I want to see everything already, eveeeerything. I can't wait to get my hands and/or tentacles on this.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 17, 2015, 06:20:45 am »

..and here is the 23rd KS update.
Kickstarter Update #23

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 17, 2015, 10:46:27 am »

- Bloodlines which can pass magical traits, allowing for cursed human civilizations or magical families

An interesting note on bloodlines, is that apparently they're a concept taken from a backer. I suspect it's the backer at the $3,000 level (custom scenario) - which makes me even more curious what that'll ultimately be.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 17, 2015, 12:44:43 pm »

We shall see in the beta, but so far, it sounds excellent.  8)

Note:  KDG should use this engine to create a high fantasy strategy/wargame after TWS. All these subsystems [Races, traits, skills, governments, spells, heroes etc. etc] would be excellent for a game like that. All it would need is a detailed diplomacy system, kingdom management options & tactical combat.  :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 17, 2015, 12:51:19 pm »

I dunno. Lately I've become disenchanted with tactical combat. No one seems to do it very well these days. Every tactical battle space that takes place on a grid I've played in the last few years almost doesn't feel worth the effort.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 17, 2015, 01:06:48 pm »

I dunno. Lately I've become disenchanted with tactical combat. No one seems to do it very well these days. Every tactical battle space that takes place on a grid I've played in the last few years almost doesn't feel worth the effort.

I think AoW2SM's tactical battles are still the best...or at least I've enjoyed that tactical battle system the most in the last decade, and that game is from 2003. Heh....AoW 3's tactical battles are nowhere near as fun even.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:21:19 pm by gimli »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 17, 2015, 01:17:04 pm »

Yea, AoW:SM did a good job with its tactical system, and HoMM's old hex based system wasn't bad either, if rather simplistic. I also miss true tactical jrpg games in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. Nobody seems to turn based tactical combat (in those two styles) right anymore.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 17, 2015, 01:33:00 pm »

Yea, AoW:SM did a good job with its tactical system, and HoMM's old hex based system wasn't bad either, if rather simplistic. I also miss true tactical jrpg games in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. Nobody seems to turn based tactical combat (in those two styles) right anymore.

Or at least, to the quality of something like Enemy Unknown. Today it's just like "Oh, throw a rock or a tree in there to occasionally block sight lines or movement, let them nuke each other with spells regardless of range, and blandly march their guys into face to face combat." It feels like most game's tactical combat hasn't advanced beyond Master of Magic, which isn't any more complex than they are, but somehow seems to keep everything in the right scale so moves, ranges and tiles all matter. Even games that ostensibly have their eye on the ball, like Worlds of Magic, the tactical combat still comes out feeling wooden. I'm not the kind of guy to click "auto-resolve" on most battles, but it's becoming a habit with most people's tactical combats.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 17, 2015, 02:05:46 pm »

At least x-com based combat models are doing alright despite bringing little innovation to the original formula, IE wasteland 2, xenonauts, etc.

The only other turn based combat model that worked out really well in recent times was silent storm's. Seriously, silent storm had its flaws, but its engine and combat system were pretty great.

EDIT: it seems the most interesting turn based combat systems of today are the ones that focus more on ranged combat. There's no melee focused turn based combat system in recent history thats very interesting or enjoyable to experience, at least the ones I can think about arent (looking at you really hard, ubisoft HoMM games.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:10:25 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 210